Dantil

Transmission Fluid change and clunking when stopped!

Two questions!

When should the Transmission fluid in the NV Passenger be changed?

When braking and I stop, there seems to be a clunk or a shifting of weight once the vehicle stops.

This morning with a full tank of gas it did not occur during my four or five stops on the way to work.

Am I feeling the gas sloshing forward when the tank is have full or U-joint problems?

Dan

If you find out let us know.  I have had a clunk for over 20,000 miles at low speed when letting off the gas and then getting back on the throttle.  Happens around 30-35 mph somewhat regularly.  Feels like a bad/loose u-joint type clunk.  Dealer cant replicate it of course and I didnt have time to take a tech for a drive the last time I was in.  

Also, my dealer wants me to change my transmission fluid every 30K miles.  I asked them to show me where it states that in the manual (it doesnt).  It DOES if you have a CVT transmission, but we of course do not.  

30k is the standard recommended interval for changing transmission fluid.

Schedule 1 and 2 NV 30k service doesn't require this but it is part of the optional premium upgrade. I followed this at 30 and 60k not realizing the 2012 service guide says NV transmission fluid (4) change isn't needed. I read somewhere that the fluid is lifetime but lifetime wasn't defined.

I plan to have it changed again at 90k.

ASD Dad, when do you plan to change your transmission fluid?

Found my earlier post for 60k service. Transmission fluid is described as maintenance free (page 12).

Edited by radin2son

I imagine the transmission has a filter yes?

Dan

A clunk many times can be related to suspension as the weight of the vehicle shifts. Check the control arms especially.

I have not experienced the Clunking or weight shift since filling the Gas Tank up.  The fuel level is at almost 3/4 full mark.  For the last two days no clunk.  Lets see what a 1/2 tank of gas will do to my stops.  Stat tuned!!

Dan

That will be annoying if it is your gas tank. Cheap fix; just fill when half full.

If you think it is from the rear, anything loose? Tank, Spare tire, hitch, rear seats? Anything is possible given what the factory lets slip by.

I would think the gas tank has baffles of some sort inside it.  

I have checked everything you mentioned and everything it tight.

Dan

If it happens again, take your NV to the dealer and take the service adviser, manager or tech out for a brake test. Whatever it is, no one else has reported this. Good luck.

Regarding your first question. Have you decided if and when you will change the transmission fluid?