Sign in to follow this  
joe nv2500

Broken front exhaust flange

I stepped on my 2013 nv2500 (46,000 miles)and heard the exhaust come loose at the back end of the first catylitic converter pipe. Anyone had a problem like this. I was wondering if that would be covered under the emissions warranty. I got 1 price $600 so far. The exhaust is fine besides where the factory end connection broke. Thanks

Is that price from a NV dealer?  If they refused warranty you can call NV Customer Relations although they have been less then stellar for help in the past.  If it is a broken weld it could be looked at as either a faulty weld at the exhaust manufacturer or wear and tear if you have a ton of road salt and rust under there.  

If you have the 3 yr/36k warranty, you are on your own, unless there is a documented previous fix by Nissan or if you are lucky a service bulletin for this. Go to the Titan/Frotier sites, depending on your engine, to see if there are reports about this type of failure.

Without looking at the emissions warranty, you are still within the mileage. When you look at what is or isn't covered by Nissan, you may not find this. Similarly, the Federal emissions warranty may not help.

I had an oxygen sensor fail, just past the 36k warranty but had a documented history of check engine light coming on. The sensor, part of the emissions system, wasn't covered. I paid to have it fixed as we were traveling, then contacted Nissan Commercial customer relations (has to be them) when we got home. I gave the service manager here a heads up. Eventually, Nissan reimbursed the total to fix it.

That was a price from my local repair shop. I thought it was just a quick fix at first. I just left a message with the dealer finance dept. Trying g to track down the paperwork of the extended warranty. Never got it originally. It was around $2500 or so . It wasn't Nissan's ext warranty, probably the dealers company

There is very little rust under there, definitely a very clean break.

Most likely just a cold weld failure if it is a clean break at the welded flange.  I am surprised the repair was $600.  Any decent shop can weld a new flange on in under an hour and that is lifting it, removing the old one and welding a new one on!  Are they trying to replace the cat too?  That would be more in line with $600 but should be unnecessary as well.  

Yes, price was for new pipe with catalityc converter built into the pipe, which is a one piece. Ill get another quote or 2 tomorrow. Thx

Finally got to an authorized heavy duty Nissan service dealership. The weld broke away from the catalytic converter end on the first pipe. The said they also replaced the exhaust manifold along with the first pipe (drivers side). It was covered under the original warranty!

Awesome outcome.  Congrats on getting it taken care of.