What have people done to get their NVP into a standard height garage? Have you modified the garage or the NV with a slightly lowered suspension? Our garage door is exactly 7ft tall

We had to cut 2 inches off the cement header to get a our van in. As well as raise the garage door to open up more, it was a 2 day project but well worth it!! 

I built a new garage!  First time in over a decade I can park one of my vehicles inside.  Cant wait.  I have enough clearance for my van, roof rack and kayak racks mounted to the rack.  

I wasnt remotely close to fitting in our old garage.

All very smart solutions compared to our plan of attack. We decided to put taller (9ft) doors on a new garage, with a new breezeway, attached to a new house ;) Not the cheapest or smartest solution, but I hate or vehicles sitting outside even just at the grocery store, so a garage was a must.

Andy - my plan is identical!  My door is 16' x 9', wife has 10 x 9 and we also have a breezeway going to our house!  Final inspection is this Wednesday and we hope to move in next week.  Been a long wait but we're super excited to get in there and settle down.  We sold our old house in one day so have been living in a camper at my in-laws for weeks!

Haha, that's awesome to hear! Happy for you! My parents always had a breezeway when I was young, and it was one of the things we really wanted on a new build..... A place to catch all the mudboots/snowboots/heavy clothing required so often in Michigan, without cluttering the house or garage. Also makes a great place to store the NV seats when not in use.

Awesome door sizes also. The van parks in the 16x9, and we also have 2 other doors, 8x9, for the CRV and side-by-side.

We nearly bought a camper to stay in while our house was being built, but ended up renting a double-wide for 6 months instead. Pretty similar story to yours! Hope you LOVE the new place!

I removed a 2x8 trim board from the top and replaced it with a 1/4" piece of hardy board. The front half goes in with about a 1/2 to spare. I still have to modify the garage door opener to see if it will go all the way in. It is really really close.

We cut and inch and a half off the header and were able to get the NV into our standard 84 in garage

Are you guys trimming the actual header or simply the trim? Headers and joists aren't supposed to be drilled or cut below the bottom 1/3rd of the wood, so a 2*10 shouldn't be cut within 3 inches of the edges.

Are you guys trimming the actual header or simply the trim? Headers and joists aren't supposed to be drilled or cut below the bottom 1/3rd of the wood, so a 2*10 shouldn't be cut within 3 inches of the edges.

This ^^

Seriously.  Check building codes and construction rules.  We just built a home and I got really familiar with tons of both!  My father-in-law is also a lead contractor for Habitat for Humanity and I've learned a ton from him on projects around both our homes.

Last thing you want is a structural failure!  You may be able to shore it back up with a LVL beam but seriously dont do anything like that without research.

Randomly ran into this thread...

We also sold our house in a day built a new house with 6 bedrooms, 4 upstairs one for each kid, 2 two stall garages with 18x9 and 16x9 doors to accommodate our boat....we moved in September of 17'

Since then we have had 1 more kid...now with twins on the way...and will be happy with the 9' doors for the NV beast once we pick one up in the next few months...

Oh how things change haha. 

Andy - my plan is identical!  My door is 16' x 9', wife has 10 x 9 and we also have a breezeway going to our house!  Final inspection is this Wednesday and we hope to move in next week.  Been a long wait but we're super excited to get in there and settle down.  We sold our old house in one day so have been living in a camper at my in-laws for weeks!

We are in west michigan. I really want a 4x4 van so to be honest I am not sure if we will go new or used. Right now we are still figuring out what color we want and how to have it look.

Have until may ish so we are still doing our research and keeping an eye out for what shows up for sale. 

Congrats on all the exciting changes! Do you have a new van or a used one in mind? You

Contact Ken Garff Nissan, also in SLC. 15 2019 SL NVPs on the lot, discounted $1800 or so. He works with Advanced 4x4 in SLC and can get the SL converted ($46-62k). You also could order a 2020 or get on a waiting list for a used 4x4 conversion. Can

Edited by radin2son

PM Googly1 as he has a 2018 NVP Advanced 4x4 to get first hand review.

If you know anything about fuses, he could use your help...

Snow/Winter weather mainly...We have a boat and a couple cabins that we will go to that it could come in handy now and again but this vehicle will be driven daily by my MIL and or my wife and I just want the extra peace of mind of 4x4. 

I

Yea, Im not that guy that throws Ats on it year round. Only clowns do that. I always go full on mudders...

But seriously, I had never had winter tires until this past winter on my fusion and it was amazing. I had a pair of blizzaks and it was the greatest thing I ever did. I was thinking about just doing the rwd with snow tires but I think I want to get the 4x4...so now its just a matter of how to swing it. 

It would be great if I could do it myself with all the titan parts but I havent found anything to run off of...except maybe pulling a titan manual. 

So im stuck either buying used and shipping out west for the conversion and or shipping/driving back. 

Or buying new all done and driving home,

Or by chance finding a used 4x4 somewhere and driving home...either way im overspending for my piece of mind..haha. 

Fair enough lol. Good point. I

There was a used 4x4 on the FB forum posted recently.  Cant remember the year or details as I am not in the market but they do show up now and then.  They normally dont stick around long.

I was a ski and snowboard instructor for well over a decade.  I had one 4x4 in all those years.  Most years I drove sportscars - MR2, RX7 Turbo, RX8, GTI's, etc. with snow tires to and from the ski resorts.  As along as I had enough ground clearance in my low cars I was fine.  In fact I did quite a few winter rally runs in my GTI's running studded Hakkas even on sheet ice.  I'd go cruising right on by all the big 4x4 trucks and SUVs stuck in the ditch on their crap tires.