OklahomaNV

5.6 Burning Oil

Does anyone else have issues with their 5.6 burning oil? I run synthetic oil and filter and change every 5000 miles. I have 58500 miles on a 2014 NVP. All maintenance done by me. Thanks!

I have the 4.0, but I'm curious how much oil are you burning between changes?

It burns 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart every 5000 miles. Kind of odd. It shouldn't be burning a drop in my opinion.

I had the same problem in my ford e350. Ran synthetic from day 1 with great results and at about 80-90K was burning oil..not visible, just dissappearing. I switched to standard high mileage type oil and poof, no more oil burning probs. Just a theory, but I think an engine with a some miles on it... the synthetic oil is a little too clean, therefore it gets by the worn in parts and burns.

You could try switching to 10w-30 instead of 5w-30, at least in the summer. Did it start consuming oil just all of the sudden? You could take a look at the pcv system and see if there is any gunk in there.

Hopefully others with the 5.6 will chime in.

Haven't noticed oil level being down between changes. Dealer service.

Don't the V8s take an odd number of quarts, as in 6.+? Maybe not that much, but more than the 5 quarts specified in Nissan dealer service sales promotions. Another issue has been over filling...

This is not to say you aren't putting in the correct amount. Plus the dip stick only cares if it is ok or down.

Thank you all for your reply! Sounds like I need to switch up my oil. I always try to be faithful to one brand for the life of an engine, but based on the comments above, I need to experiment. Thanks guys, I'm hoping this will cure the issue.

I had the same problem in my ford e350. Ran synthetic from day 1 with great results and at about 80-90K was burning oil..not visible, just dissappearing. I switched to standard high mileage type oil and poof, no more oil burning probs. Just a theory, but I think an engine with a some miles on it... the synthetic oil is a little too clean, therefore it gets by the worn in parts and burns.

Cabinet Crew...based on this comment do you have a recommendation on oil brand? I'm running 5W-30 Synthetic Pennzoil. Thanks for your help.

Checked the oil yesterday (4K+) and it was fine.

Originally used regular oil, for reasons I now have trouble understanding, something about traveling in very remote areas and not being able to find synthetic oil if needed...

Switched to Mobile 1 5W30.

I just turned 100,000 miles on my 13 5.6 and change oil/filter every 5,000 with Valvoline 5/30 conventional oil. Prior to draining for the 100,000 mile oil change I checked the oil level for the first time ever and it was full up to the top line on the dipstick so no oil use. 

I just turned 100,000 miles on my 13 5.6 and change oil/filter every 5,000 with Valvoline 5/30 conventional oil. Prior to draining for the 100,000 mile oil change I checked the oil level for the first time ever and it was full up to the top line on the dipstick so no oil use.

Thanks for the reply. I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic, the problem of burning has decreased greatly.