I have a brand new 2017 NV-P 3500 SL with seems to have a transmission shifting issue....It will run up to 4000 RPM before shifting gears..  not in Manual mode...does it when hot ....after exiting the freeway and when slowing it will down shift but will rev up to 400 rpm before shifting.  Almost like it's slipping but not..  anyone elas have had this experience?

Edited by jmillet

Too new and few with 2017 NVs on this forum. Check the 2017 gas Titan owners forum to see if they have any similar issues.

Do you have tow mode engaged? Tow mode drastically changes the shift points. I have noticed that the 7 speed seems to do a lot of engine braking. Also newer motors seem to have much higher rpms available. Back in the old days 5000 rpm was redline...not so much now. The only thing I have noticed is the new 5.6 engine seems to stumble-start like its getting just enough fuel to turn over and not a drop more. 2017 5.6 V8 high roof cargo.

I have this same issue.  I am in an NV group on facebook.  Every 2017 V8 in there has this issue.  

Yes, we are having this issue, too.  I have been trying to get on here and post about it (as well as an overall 1500 mile update), but I just haven't had a chance.  I will check out the Facebook page.  Has anyone had it looked at yet on there and gotten any feedback?  We thought we had just accidentally turned on manual shifting, but that's not the case.  And it's doing it more the last week or so than it did earlier on.  Other than that we LOVE this van!

Not that it is good that issues like this occur, but it is good that there are posts.

What is the name of the fb group? Id like to read up on more of this.

Nissan NV Families

Yes, we are having this issue, too.  I have been trying to get on here and post about it (as well as an overall 1500 mile update), but I just haven't had a chance.  I will check out the Facebook page.  Has anyone had it looked at yet on there and gotten any feedback?  We thought we had just accidentally turned on manual shifting, but that's not the case.  And it's doing it more the last week or so than it did earlier on.  Other than that we LOVE this van!

No, no one has been able to get resolution at a dealer.  Personally, I'm not too worried about it.  We'll see though.  

This was exactly my concern. I test rode a 2016 v8 2500 tall earlier this year, and it rode like Crown Vic (like a dream imo.) And then last week, I test rode a 2017 3500 and it sounded like the trans was slipping w/ 50 miles on the clock. I can get a Ram Promaster if I want to replace transmissions yearly. 

Transmissions are complicated anyway, and with a new 7 sp model too makes it a chief concern. The Haitian sales lady just said, "Nooooo, it's brand new!", as she laughed half heartedly looking across the street and away from me (!) I have been getting no response from dealers once they see I am doing a detailed value analysis on the 2017 NV3500. I would be driving one right now if it were not for the loose/sloppy band-slap 2017 V8 transmission sounds (or if it, at least, rode as good as the 2016 NV2500 V8.)

The transmission was the main unproven factor imo anyway, so it's time to start talking to Nissan Commercial "master mechanics" at this point if that is possible. Now that could be as simple as higher hp 2017 engines seem to sputter in low rpm's: versus the higher torque power range of the 2016 (or before 2017.) It could also  be some towing adapter mechanism that got put on a lot of 2017's new transmissions before they found it was a concern. It is probably nothing, but I'd like to figure out what is wrong exactly: a new mechanical sound that helps mpg, or a too early for release engineering change.

A  local  used Truecars.com had 3 - 2017 NV's for sale used with 1 - 2017 tall/v8  NV for sale.

They had zero used 2016's of any type! In hindsight, ... doah!. 

Edited by breeze

Just went up a very steep driveway at a slow speed and nearly stalled the 2017 high roof v8 7sp.  I didn't die...but it sure sounded like it wanted to before it dropped into I assume 1st gear.  I think what's going on here is this transmission is just confused, It just doesn't shift in a predictable fashion.  I hope in due time Nissan has a update that makes it "less confused".  I have not had the "fan sound" problem that a lot of the 17 owners seem to be fussing with.  I thought it made the sound once but in my case it was 100+ degrees out and the ac was cranking and that was just the effect of the fan clutch engaging.  I wonder if when the fan engages the motor with all its fancy optimum cooling gizmos that it bumps up the rpm to compensate for the normal hp loss of engaging the fan blade...Just a guess.  Any way, I won't be idling up a steep driveway anymore, got to use that throttle in the NV.  This engine seems to idle a lot more like a chevy, dribbling just just enough fuel to keep it running but with a case of the stumbles. Personally I'd like to see a little more fuel delivery and a smoother idle.  

I assume the 2017 engines have manual mode. Next time you try a steep driveway, put it manual mode, 1st or 2nd. I use this often but not as much as during our just completed camping trip to the mountains around Telluride, CO.

No gear hunting or hesitation. I also like the power of the V8, even if it is the old version.

Yes on the manual mode. I like the way it works too, very easy. Auto drops 1 gear when engaged, but you can cycle it up or down from there. That situation caught me off guard...only have a 1000 miles on it. Felt like the first time learning to drive a stick on steep hills from a stop. So in hind sight just pushing the manual button would have dropped it into 1st. In fairness it was a ridiculously steep driveway.

Does it let you shift up the whole gear range? I only recently realized 5th gear was there as well since it goes to 4th when you push the button.

If so it needs paddle shifters. It would be fun to go through all 7 gears manually.

Edited by radin2son

I'm seeing the same.  We bought the our NV3500 passenger van on Friday last week (Sept 7, 2017) - immediately packed the kids and grandparents and headed for a short trip to the beach.

I've seen it happen 3 times now (approximately 400 miles).    it's always happened when I'm starting from a dead stop (at a light for example).  It refuses to shift out of 1st/2nd (not sure which).  

I am able to go into manual mode and manually shift up.   Truthfully I'm not sure exactly how I got back into "regular behavior."  Each episode only lasted a few minutes.

Welcome to the site!  Please report back if you get it looked at by the dealer and let everyone know the outcome.  We have many here you report issues and then vanish so we never know what happened (if anything).

I've suggested and asked this before: Does this problem show up on the Titan forum? If not, is it related to the de-tuning of the new V8 for NVs? Regardless, the computer should have the correct shift points. Get what ever info you can before you go to the dealer, if only to educate their service department.

When it wouldn't shift, did the revs and engine noise go up? NVPs are heavy vehicles and you may need a heavier foot than you are used to in previous vehicles; mpg won't suffer too much. Everyone gets about the same mpg range depending on use.

I've been driving Hub's 2017 8 cylinder 2500. Yes, his vehicle shifts the same as mentioned above. The first tank of gas was 12.97mpg for mixed highway/city driving. The gearing is unpleasant to me compared to my 2016 3500. Or maybe I'm just biased towards my own van.

Ted

I have the same issue and realized the transmission only acts up when my AC is turn on. Don’t know why it would cause the transmission to not shift but once I shut off the AC the transmission acts normal and shifts normal. And No I’m not in tow mode either when this happens.

I think what's going on here is this transmission is just confused, It just doesn't shift in a predictable fashion.  I hope in due time Nissan has a update that makes it "less confused".  

I brought my 2017 NV 3500 SL to the dealer for this issue.  They said Nissan does not yet have a solution for this issue but Nissan Engineering did acknowledge that the hesitation of shifting gears is the result of two computers talking to each other. I have not done my due diligence to see if the vehicle really does have two computers. I reported the hesitation to the dealer that I experienced was from 1,200 RPMs to 2,000 RPMs.  They said it's the result of transitioning from one computer to another and both computers are unsure of how to handle the transition.  I can't help but picture two baseball players trying to figure out who is gong to catch the pop fly and then finally one decides just before they collide....

I have the fan noise which I've posted about in another thread on this forum.  I've not had a problem with the engine revving to 4,000 RPMs as someone else mentioned in this thread.

Edited by formula747

I purchased a 2017 Nissan NV 3500 V8 in July. At 2,700 miles the transmission started hiccuping, revving, going nowhere from a complete stop. We thought maybe we hit something, like the tow feature. We also thought that it only seemed to happen when the air conditioning was on. Whatever the case, we took it in and received a refurbished new transmission. Now it is October, and at 4,800 miles the same issues happened again. Hiccupping, revving, going almost nowhere from a complete stop. We had to get over 40 mph for it to even kick into second gear. RPM's shooting up way high. I took it in.....guess what? Transmission failure. My dealership (Dont start me) says that there is paperwork with Nissan that they are filling out and that a mechanic from Nissan has to come out and look at it to help determine what failed. Just a guess? I'll be told that I need a 2nd new transmission from Nissan with less than 5,000 miles on the vehicle. So, my nice $35,000+ new van, I've had in service for over 2 weeks total. THIS time I did ask for a vehicle to use from the dealership. 

Wow, so sorry to hear about that. I'd be extremely upset if I was you. But I can't, for the life of me, imagine 2 new transmissions blowing at so few miles. I'd think a lightning strike would be more likely. Please keep us posted, and good luck.

A refurbished “new” transmission? Surely Nissan can do better than this, particularly since they have replaced NVPs for far less serious issues. Interim rides have also been provided. Go to posts regarding mysterious beeps from front sonar and a dealer car wash incident.

Does Michigan have a lemon law? If so, get the process going if the Nissan Commercial rep doesn’t offer a replacement van. Really push back on this. Complain to the dealership owner, general manager, sales manager and service manager and let them know you intend to file a complaint with Nissan Commercial if you aren’t completely satisfied.

Sorry I haven't gotten on here and updated yet.  We had the same problem (see earlier in the thread), and we got the software update from Nissan about two weeks or so ago and have not had any problems since, even with the AC on (was only a problem when AC was on and every time the AC was on).  If your dealership has trouble locating the information they need to get you the update, refer them to service bulletin #NTB17-105.  There was another, related fix that I believe some 2017 V8s have needed as well, I think, but so far we haven't needed it so I really don't remember what it was exactly.  You can read more about it by searching the posts in the Nissan NV Families Facebook group.  Hope that helps.  Love our 2017 NV!

Hope the service bulletin info helps but still go through the process of going from the top down. 2 serious problems of this type in 4800 miles.

Do this by email, paper trail, even if you speak to them by phone or in person. It may be redundant but... your email can say “Thanks for speaking with me. To clarify/summarize our discussion, I understand (fill in what ever they said). If you agree or disagree, tell them. If that person doesn’t respond back, send an angry email to the top again. The owner or general manager will most likely say “____ take care of this” via a cc to you.

If they do fix it to your satisfaction and they ask what they can do to make this right beyond that, go for it...