Sign in to follow this  
SmokedChops

large oil filter

Just did first oil change on new (to me) NV2500HD 5.6.  I was somewhat troubled by the itty-bitty standard oil filter.  My '83 Rabbit Turbo Diesel had a filter the size of Folger's can - for a 1.6 litre with a 5 qt sump.  7 qt. sump on the 5.6 and the canister is roughly half the size of a pop-can was somewhat puzzling  Some digging on Wix filters master database, I found considerably larger filter, the 51344. When compared to the 57356 - flow rates, PSI bypass, beta, gasket face all being the same, the 51344 at 82mm by 103mm has 544cc  vs  the stock sized 57356 at 68mm by 86mm having 312cc.  A little under twice the absolute capacity, with probably similar increases of media surface area.  Big filter = more filter area, better filtration for duration of oil change.  It is probably academic, but I feel better with a little more insurance. Filters are cheap, engines are not.   

7 qts of Mobil 1 is also a help.

next project coming up, spin on trans filter....mwah ha haaaaa.

Good info, thanks. I've also always thought the filter seemed small for the motor size, but just stuck with it. I may jump up to a larger filter for the points you made.

What's this spin on trans filter you speak of ?

On 8/4/2017 at 8:36 PM, SmokedChops said:

Just did first oil change on new (to me) NV2500HD 5.6.  I was somewhat troubled by the itty-bitty standard oil filter.  My '83 Rabbit Turbo Diesel had a filter the size of Folger's can - for a 1.6 litre with a 5 qt sump.  7 qt. sump on the 5.6 and the canister is roughly half the size of a pop-can was somewhat puzzling  Some digging on Wix filters master database, I found considerably larger filter, the 51344. When compared to the 57356 - flow rates, PSI bypass, beta, gasket face all being the same, the 51344 at 82mm by 103mm has 544cc  vs  the stock sized 57356 at 68mm by 86mm having 312cc.  A little under twice the absolute capacity, with probably similar increases of media surface area.  Big filter = more filter area, better filtration for duration of oil change.  It is probably academic, but I feel better with a little more insurance. Filters are cheap, engines are not.   

7 qts of Mobil 1 is also a help.

next project coming up, spin on trans filter....mwah ha haaaaa.

Would the 51344 also fit the V6 4.0 Nissan nv2500? 

On 5/10/2023 at 1:42 PM, Local Apparent Friday said:

According to the wix site, the 57356 is also the recommended filter for the 4.0l, so yes, the 51344 should work without issue.

Screenshot 2023-05-10 164145.png

Thank you!