Sign in to follow this  
andy_george

Trailer Tires

A few weeks ago ASD Dad and some others were discussing trailer tires and I chimed in. I forget which thread it was though. Anyways, since then I've blown ANOTHER Goodyear Marathon with absolutely no warning, not high temps, below rated load capacity, and at 55mph.

I vowed to never buy another trailer tire again, and give Light Truck (LT) tires a shot for trailer duty. But I recently discovered that Goodyear has a new trailer tire they promise is better.... The Endurance. Slightly more expensive, but the load ratings are way higher for the same size, speed ratings are up, they have a new rubber compound, and are made in the US. I caved and ordered 4.

I'll give an update when I get them and mount them up....

Let us know how they work out.  Ever since my last blowout on the then top trailer tier (Maxxis) I vowed to not return and went LT tire.  Havent had an issue since and they look brand new after thousands of miles of towing.  I will need to get new ones due to age well before they are worn out.  

I thought you may try those commercial van tires but the Endurance sounds nice, I will need to check them out.  Thanks for letting us know.

EDIT:  Just checked those new Endurance tires out and they look really nice!  I would try them if I was in the market.  There are still a lot of lateral forces when turning put on trailer tires that are not a factor with a LT/passenger tire.  These look like the first viable alternative to an LT.  I'll still with my LT's (Wrangler HT)for the next couple of years but I am looking forward to seeing how these new Endurance work.

Edited by ASD Dad

Great point. The lateral forces are exactly why I decided to give an improved trailer tire a try. Our concession trailers have to be parked in some really tight spots at events, and the tandem really twists hard at times. Hopefully these are more up to the task!