74us

Reflection of dash lights in driver's window?

Hello. We just bought a 2016 NV 3500 SL on 9-8-17. We drove it that night and had a terrible reflection of the dash lights in the driver's side window which affected the driver's mirror. What to do? Our windows are to be tinted 9-15. Our tint guy(30 years experience) said it would be worse with darker tint. Has anyone tried 3M anti-glare film(static-cling)on the dash to help with this? I found some on API optics website, and contacted them to see if I could get a sample. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Crystal

Welcome to the site!

Yes, it reflects badly and tint will not help at all.  We have tinted front windows and it is maybe a little worse than glass.  I would not say it is huge though but it has been two years now since I drove it with clear glass!  We have 20% ceramic tint.  

TBH, I am shocked more dont complain about it but I guess we all just get used to it.  I know it does not bother me nearly as much now as it did when I first got it but I definitely know it is still there.  

If you get the anti glare let us know how it works out, I will get some if it works!  I have to think a film like the privacy screen film they use on computer monitors would work.  They only allow light straight on and block out at angles.  I think that is a great idea if it works and may look into it myself the more I think about it.

Thanks ASD Dad. I was hoping it was not just me. I have never been a "side-mirror driver", but you have to be with this van. We had a Cadillac ESV before this,but this NV is 20" longer. The API optics is talking to another engineer to see if he had any more input about which product would work. Will keep updated.

I noticed the glare immidiately after we got out NV also. I thought it would drive me crazy, but I've gotten used to it and don't notice it anymore.

The only fix I know is to dim the dashboard lights until it doesn't bother you anymore.

I was shocked at how bright the reflection was, too. I dimmed the dash lights a bit, and never notice it now.

I wonder if those computer monitor privacy screen filter might works  ;)