Sign in to follow this  
andy_george

Wheels: plasti-dip or paint?

We bought the wife a new Honda CR-V a few weeks ago. We had a 2001 first gen., and holy cow how far they have come. Insane really.

Anyways, it has nice aluminum wheels, but I just scored a 17" steel set of wheels off craigslist for mounting some new Blizzaks to for the winter. The steel wheels are the typical matte gray, and the wife would like something a little less ugly for the sloppy winter months. I know quite a few of you have plasti-dipped wheels, grills, etc. before so I'm just looking for a little guidance. Just a few questions:

1) I never plan to remove the black I apply, so is plasti better than spray paint?

2) when bolting the wheel to the hub, does the plasti want to remove or wrinkle where the lugnuts contact the wheel?

3) is there a better brand than another? I know our local Menards had a huge selection of plasti made for wheels, but I forget the brand name.

4) any other input!

Thanks guys!

For high traffic areas like door handles or wheels, I would not use plasti-dip nor spray paint. I personally would go with something like powder coating. 

Powder coating is definetely the best option. Unfortunately this is a winter-only set of wheels I found for $100, so spending much, much more than that to make them prettier isn't something I was interested in. I used plasti dip with a glossifier. The winter rubber is mounted and ready, so when it snows we will be prepared! Thanks for the advice though!

Before and after pics:

post-836-0-59909900-1507237577_thumb.jpeg

post-836-0-20270700-1507237616_thumb.jpeg

Edited by andy_george

Those turned out great! Let us know how well they hold up.