prohafamilyof7

Currently shopping Nissan NV and trailer BH

We are currently in the process of selling our home to purchase a 2017 Nissan NV and TT with BH. We found we love that is 7100 dry weight. We will be traveling the US for a year. We have 5 small children and will be downsizing quite a bit.

Is pulling a trailer that will be around 8400 pounds loaded realistic? What are recommendations as far as towing hitch and brake stabilizer etc..

Edited by prohafamilyof7

Welcome to the site!  I hid your duplicate thread under this one.

I would suggest a quick search of this site and it will get you most if not all of your answers.  There are several of us towing larger campers and trailers (including us).  My camper is 7700# loaded heavy for a long trip though.

The NV will tow that much, it matters how much you want to push things.  You'll be near the limit of ratings for towing, payload, etc.  Have you ever towed?  Towing near max limits for a first time experience could be interesting.  You'll need an excellent WD hitch with good sway control and you'll need to know how to set it up properly (dont trust dealer).  

It will also matter where you are towing.  It "will" pull that much up and down the Rockies, just dont expect much performance and be patient.

If you get the v8 you'll have no problem

What a great adventure ahead of you.

This is an amazing truck that will not let you down. If you are concerned about reported issues with the new V8, look for a used 2015-6. You will still have part of the 5 year, 100k warranty.

I tow a TT that is 7600 Dry. I use an equalizer WDH, no complaints. NV pulls like a champ...

I assume by your post your going full time?

If so, you might want to consider either the "Hensley" or "ProPride" hitch systems... They are the best on the market, but also the most expensive.. Your looking at mid to high $2000 range for either one...

I tow a TT that is 7600 Dry. I use an equalizer WDH, no complaints. NV pulls like a champ...

I assume by your post your going full time?

If so, you might want to consider either the "Hensley" or "ProPride" hitch systems... They are the best on the market, but also the most expensive.. Your looking at mid to high $2000 range for either one...

Hensley and their twin ProPride have a serious disadvantage if you are not aware.  They can NOT be hooked up unless you are perfectly in line with the trailer.  It may tolerate a couple degree angle and you can force it in but otherwise it has to be exactly in line.  At our old house and at many sites we would not have been able to use the hitch since we had to back in at an angle.  

They are excellent hitches made to last a lifetime and really do control sway better but they are very expensive and have that flaw of hooking up (or unhooking safely).

Honestly, if your TT is setup correctly you should never have sway in normal driving.  Crosswind and big semi passing "push" is completely normal and will happen even with a ProPride.  Biggest worry is emergency evasive maneuvering.  A good sway control will help bring that in line if physics makes it possible.  You can also use the manual brake control on your controller to apply brakes to the trailer to bring it back in line if it gets swaying too much.  I think there is a new setup out there that uses GPS and yaw rate sensors attached to the tongue of the trailer to apply brakes automatically in case of sway.  Not that is pretty cool!  

Thanks for the info... I didn't realize the issue with hooking up... 

//I think there is a new setup out there that uses GPS and yaw rate sensors attached to the tongue of the trailer to apply brakes automatically in case of sway.  Not that is pretty cool!//

If you get any info on that please share, that does sound cool...

Also I did try the trailer brake on my trip to Florida... I wasn't out of control, but there was some wind sway, I tapped the Trailer Brake lever in it stopped immediately... 

Here it is, and it is actually old!  Been out since 2015.  I thought I just read about it recently, maybe there is a new one but this was a quick search.  Says it is mainly for trailers that dont need WD hitches so I may be thinking of another, I will need to search more.  

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Hayes/HA81775.html

The Hensley system uses a "stinger" that needs to line up perfectly with the receiving end to hook up.  The same physics that dont let the trailer sway also dont let the system mount up when not aligned.