eric17au

Battery - Electrical

2015 Nissan NVP 3500 v6, 56k miles. Just took van on a long vacation drive and on the way home yesterday, noticed that it was sluggish when trying to crank it. More noticeable each successive time. Figured that the battery wasn't taking a charge and sure enough, this morning battery was dead. Jumped it off, went to town and bought a new battery, got it swapped out and all seemed fine. Well, about 30 minutes to an hour later, while idling in a parking lot, the radio/nav screen went blank, at the same time the front blower stopped working, interior overhead lights stopped working and the cigarette lighter and USB jacks stopped working. Seems like it would be a fuse or relay or something, but just wondering if it was a coincidence or maybe something else caused battery to drain. Any suggestions or ideas where to start? One thing to note, we bought it used and had an aftermarket xenon headlight system installed. Had two ballasts and a couple of extra ground wires to the battery and other locations. I disconnected that a while back but did not remove any wires or ballasts or anything until today when I swapped the battery. Not sure if that could have caused any issues when removing it.

I suppose you could put an amp meter on the extra ground wires and see if anything's flowing through them.  But this really could be due to a lot of things.  Maybe a good first step would be to have the alternator tested.  And make sure circuit from the alternator to the battery is good.  Or just take it to a Nissan dealership and see if they'll fix it as a warranty issue.