Sign in to follow this  
wicknv

Natures Head composting toilet

Hi,

Has anyone installed a composting toilet to their van conversions and if so where did you place the vent?

I am going to install a Natures Head composting toilet and noticed that on the left rear behind the wheel is a vent with a rubber flap.Not sure what this is for, but was thinking of venting the toilet out there.

It was suggested to vent through the floor.

Any feed back would be much appreciated.

Desmond

Is this part of a permanent wet bath? If not, why not just go with a portable version that you can store anywhere and easily remove to empty. You avoid black water plumbing and/or venting.

I get the compost concept, but where would you use this? Southeast of Tucson, they trucked in sewage from back east and dumped it on “idle,” I hope, agriculture land. Most of us, if not all, never got past the yuck factor. It stopped or went underground, so to speak...

I find the Natures head composting toilet the best there is out there.If you are not familiar with it check out there website.  https://natureshead.net

It is easily removed for emptying and it does not smell!

I checked it out. When traveling, why would you need a composting toilet? Also, why go with a toilet that needs to be vented? In a home, a water saver and the compost can be used as the video suggests. The best application seems to be tiny homes and cabins, particularly those without utilities.

Doesn’t answer your question, however...

As an aside, I like the collapsible toilet with bags made by Reliance or Reliant and others. Folds down to 5” x whatever the seat width is and can be set up anywhere. Since we pack out dog waste, this would not be that big a deal.

Hunters must use these as they are out of stock.

Edited by radin2son

I have no knowledge of toilets, other than using a plunger on them.

Will cutting a hole in floor be a resale problem?

We've had a Nature's Head for about a decade. It has been used on a full time basis about six of those years (by one person) in a casita (guest house) without sewer access. The vent hose could be put though the floor, in fact I would not feel comfortable running it through the side of the vehicle, especially with wind and rain at highway speeds. Resale value change? Don't know, but a small hole with the diameter of the Nature's Head hose shouldn't make a big difference. I have three floor vents cut in my van.

You will want to run the supplied fan, otherwise you WILL have to deal with stink. Even with the urine separator, composting fresh fecal material still smells...like shit.

I'll be getting a travel trailer for full timing after our house is sold (soon, I hope). I've never had to deal with a blackwater tank, but if I don't like it, I'll be replacing the trailer toilet with another Nature's Head. I'll need a new one, though as the current one stays with the house.

A little advice-to prevent having to clean skid marks off the toilet bowl after your deposit, use a large drip coffee maker filter. The filters reduces the time between emptying, but my son still only had to empty it no more than every two months. Also, have a spray bottle of white vinegar to clean it, that won't interfere with the composting process. The filters do dissolve. A spoonful or two of brown suger reduces the urine smell between emptying the bottle.

As you can see, my concerns center around odors. I have a very sensitive nose. I would keep the maximum distance between my nose and the toilet in the van, just in case. Even in the trailer I'm getting, the toilet will be at the opposite end from a front bed.

Good luck and have fun,

Ted