Dadof5girls

Super frugal solution for car top carriers

We're new here as we've only had our 3500 for a few months, but we purchased it for our family of 7 to take some epic road trips.  The first trip, out to Glacier National Park, required a large amount of cargo, as you can imagine as we were coming all the way from Michigan.  I already had a good car top carrier from our Sienna days and it seemed the perfect solution for sleeping bags.  I didn't like the cost of an aftermarket solution and all I needed to do was fasten the car top carrier, so here's what I did:

post-2777-0-24724200-1532284156_thumb.jpg

The part list is:

1 1/2" galvanized pipe strap - Qty 4

1/4" hex bolt, 1" length - Qty 8

1/4" hex nut - Qty 8

1/4" plastic washer - Qty 16

Total cost = @ $9 (car top carrier was $100 or so, but had it previously)

I cut the bolts down about 1/2" for length purposes, as they were a bit too long and put a washer on each side of the frame.  I tightened with a 7/16 socket and a 7/16 wrench to hold the other side.  Here's the final product:

post-2777-0-26024000-1532284460_thumb.jpg

post-2777-0-37104800-1532284575_thumb.jpg

post-2777-0-86215200-1532284726_thumb.jpg

post-2777-0-57989200-1532285012_thumb.jpg

I could have used something stronger than the pipe strap, but I had a few laying around, so just went with it.  They bent a little bit, but nothing major and we made it 4500+ miles with it on there and no issues.  They are removable, which is nice, so I don't have to keep them there (because my wife doesn't like the look of them).  They will probably go back on when I attempt to hoist a Christmas tree up on top of the monster this winter. 

I might have missed something in this post, but thought it might help someone else out that is looking for a cost effective solution.

It might be easier to use aluminum flat stock, lower profile and it should be stronger. It would still leave space under it to thread rope or straps. This is a great idea though.

That's a great idea!  Personally, I wouldn't trust plastic fasteners in an application like this, but I really like the overall concept.

Yeah, I hear you on a few tweaks that you could make. The plastic held up great aswe had a full carrier, went a huge distance, and were traveling at 75+ mph most ofthe time.

Mostly I had some stuff lying around and had a need. Cheap and dirty, but not a permanent reduction in gas mileage either.