ASD Dad

Parked my NV :-(

Well my NV got parked last night.  Mileage was killing us!  I work from home yet still drive 20K miles (or more) a year with 3 kids and their activities plus vacations.  Two are special needs and have therapy, all have after school activities as well (mainly music).  I am the lucky one who gets to do the car line since the stupid bus route takes TWO HOURS to get my kids home in the afternoon.  Seriously... how do they think that is OK?  They do ride the bus in the morning thankfully.

With car line, traffic, and lots of local trips I am down to 10-11mpg average.  It's way too hot to keep shutting the engine down for long periods of time so I sit their idling killing gallons of gas.  Plus with all the around town trips I do it makes zero sense to drive my NV when it is me solo or maybe one or two kids with me.

Bought my wife a 2019 Odyssey yesterday and I now get to drive our old 2011 Sienna for around town.  I get 25 mpg in the Sienna so I am more than doubling mileage.  I also take wear and tear off my NV which has 60K miles on it (2015).

NV is never leaving the family.  I have to use it when we take the in-laws out which we do often.  I am using it next weekend to tow our camper.  I use it to tow a small utility trailer a lot for mulch, stone, long lumber, etc.

Cant say I am exactly thrilled to drive the Sienna.  I actually like driving my NV most days other than some tight parking lots I deal with routinely.  Kids like seeing me in the car line too, they all get a kick out of it walking by.

Wife really wanted a new vehicle and even with cheap gas it was adding up rapidly.  When I kept seeing 10 mpg average at fillups that was the last straw.  I normally only get 12-13 mixed driving but 10 seemed way worse!  I do get around 14-15 on highway for those wondering.  The big killers were my large roof rack and AT tires.

It's a gas hog to be sure.  At least your wife gets the new car she wanted, which is good.

There's a lot to like about the Sienna, but only if you're average height or shorter.   :)

I am always amazed at the range of mpg folks are reporting here. We are luckily in the middle range with 14 mpg city and 16-18 highway with the V6 high roof. 10mpg is not acceptable for sure. Do u have a V8?

I am always amazed at the range of mpg folks are reporting here. We are luckily in the middle range with 14 mpg city and 16-18 highway with the V6 high roof. 10mpg is not acceptable for sure. Do u have a V8?

Roof rack, heavy tires, ... , not surprising his mpg got a hit.

I do believe he has v8.

Yes V8 SL.  Heavy tires, AT tread and a 12' long rack all equal gas hog!