D. Finn

NV Mobile Office mods?

We are planning our working escape route. Our idea is to get an NV3500 high top as the tow vehicle. This will be pulling a 25+ travel trailer for our living space. The NV will be used as a mobile office for our online business and short stay camper when we want a quick get away without pulling the trailer.

Has anyone on here done an office outfit conversion? We would need battery/inverter to run computers and wifi/hotspots. Rear seating that makes a bed. Storage for typical office stuff and a couple of suitcases for us.

Looking for ideas!

I have had Nissans for years and am really happy that the NV3500 came along. It would be nice if there was an extended version for the office rig but I know that it would be harder to tow with.

Love to hear more and collaborate.  

Here is what I am researching...

• WIFI Extender / Cellular Bonding
  • Battery, lights, 2nd computer monitors
  • Seating and workspace

I will post as I get more info.. Tim

The NV's center console was designed to hold hanging file folders.  Not sure if that helps much, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

How many workspaces do you want in the van?  Will you have additional workspaces in the camper?  You're really going to have to plan for power with this conversion.  A laptop with a second monitor could use around 300 watts under intensive use.  Some printers (especially laser printers) tend to be fairly power hungry.  And you'll probably want good lighting.  Any power consumed by computers, lights, printers, etc. gets turned in to heat, which means you'll need a decent air conditioner.  Battery power is great, but you may need to supplement it with solar power, a generator, shore power, etc.  If your camper has a generator, you could run a suitably-rated extension cord to the van when you need it.

WiFi has a hard time penetrating metal.  So, you may want an ethernet connection between the camper and van to provide network access in both places.  Although, you might be able to get away with placing a WiFi access point inside the van's rear window.  If that lines up well enough with a window on the camper, you might be good.

I'd like to know how the conversion goes.  Please keep us posted.

Tim Lutz on Instagram has converted his hightop into a working office/camper. If I have the name wrong look under “travelogue.” There are several older posts here, somewhere... He also had a blog that he rarely updated but gave good build info.

Found it Tim Lutz @vanlifetravelogue

Vanlifetravelogue.com

Edited by radin2son