Kimakazee

Can I purchase one of these or need to go smaller

We have a Nissan NV 3500 v8. We are looking at trailers.

the Wildwood we were interested in as 7940 or another one at 7756 lbs

Our Nissan is GVWR - LBS IS 9480

OWING - STANDARD WITH CLASS IV TOW HITCH RECEIVER (V8) - LBS IS 8700

HTTPS://WWW.CARANDDRIVER.COM/NISSAN/NV1500-2500-3500/SPECS

Knowing in advance that we are going to add the extra air conditioner, was not sure how much that added in weight as well as other things to consider

What can we really be feasible looking at when looking at weighs to pull on the TT. I want a bunkhouse that sleeps 9 ideally. Will either of these work?

--

You cant exceed 16,000 lbs combined for both the van and camper.  Period.

That is you, all passengers, gear, etc. in the van plus all the stuff packed in the camper.

If the camper is 7940 or 7756 DRY (the way it ships from factory) then there is nearly no way you will be under the weight limit.  If those are the Gross Max weights with maxed cargo loaded - then yes, you could be close to the limit.

You will need a very good weight distribution hitch.  You will need a good electronic brake controller.

Most trailers only show their dry weights in the brochures and in ads.  That number is garbage.  Sometimes those dont even include things like batteries and usually dont include propane tanks.  Look at the max cargo weight it can haul plus the dry weight.  That is the weight you want to shop.  

Most long time campers try and stay 10% under that max weight if not more.  You also want to ask yourself if you are comfortable going maxed out for a first time camper.  We camped for years in a pop-up camper before getting a travel trailer.  Pulling a 30+ Foot long box behind you and backing it up can be eye opening the first few times.

I think everyone tries to over think this trailer towing. I use a simple formula. Example: my NV2500 is a V6 (4.0L) and the towing capacity is 7000lbs. I look at the GVWR of the trailer and make sure it is at least a couple hundred lbs below the 7000. Mine is 3625 GVWR so I am well within the limit. I doubt my van is anywhere close to cap on the load inside, i know my trailer is well under its cap or GVWR with whats in it.

I think everyone tries to over think this trailer towing. I use a simple formula. Example: my NV2500 is a V6 (4.0L) and the towing capacity is 7000lbs. I look at the GVWR of the trailer and make sure it is at least a couple hundred lbs below the 7000. Mine is 3625 GVWR so I am well within the limit. I doubt my van is anywhere close to cap on the load inside, i know my trailer is well under its cap or GVWR with whats in it.

Nissan seems to think that's under thinking it.  Have you seen their towing guide?  https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/common/2017/2017-nissan-towing-guide.pdf

They say you need to consider four weights when towing:

• Gross Vehicle Weight
  • Gross Axle Weight (Front and Rear)
  • Gross Combined Weight
  • Trailer Tongue Load

They may recommend all that but this has yet to fail me and I’ve been towing since the early 1980’s. If they state your tow capacity is 7000, you’re not gonna go wrong towing a trailer well under that. The GVWR is the MAXIMUM weight of the trailer AND cargo WITH all tanks full. As I said, this is the easiest, fail conservative method for towing. If you go into an RV dealer after a trailer, sales will put you at or over your vehicles limit, they will attempt to keep you in the dark. You can figure all you want but the bottom line is that whatever Nissan recommends in their pamplet, you use my method you will still fall well within the limits of the vehicles limits. Dry weight means absolutely nothing until you add the weight of all tanks full with all cargo and THAT is what the GVWR is.

Nissan seems to think that's under thinking it.  Have you seen their towing guide?  https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/common/2017/2017-nissan-towing-guide.pdf

They say you need to consider four weights when towing:

• Gross Vehicle Weight
  • Gross Axle Weight (Front and Rear)
  • Gross Combined Weight.
  • Trailer Tongue Load

LOOK ABOVE: translated to your nissan guide to english, nissan will not be responsible for your vehicle or anything you tow with it while you are towing. KISS

They may recommend all that but this has yet to fail me and I’ve been towing since the early 1980’s. If they state your tow capacity is 7000, you’re not gonna go wrong towing a trailer well under that. The GVWR is the MAXIMUM weight of the trailer AND cargo WITH all tanks full. As I said, this is the easiest, fail conservative method for towing. If you go into an RV dealer after a trailer, sales will put you at or over your vehicles limit, they will attempt to keep you in the dark. You can figure all you want but the bottom line is that whatever Nissan recommends in their pamplet, you use my method you will still fall well within the limits of the vehicles limits. Dry weight means absolutely nothing until you add the weight of all tanks full with all cargo and THAT is what the GVWR is.

It depends a lot on how your load is distributed.  If you put 12 adults in the van with a couple of suitcases, you may not have enough payload capacity left to handle any sort of trailer tongue weight.  On the other hand, if you have a nearly empty van, your rule should work just fine.

We have a Nissan NV 3500 v8. We are looking at trailers.

the Wildwood we were interested in as 7940 or another one at 7756 lbs

Our Nissan is GVWR - LBS IS 9480

OWING - STANDARD WITH CLASS IV TOW HITCH RECEIVER (V8) - LBS IS 8700

HTTPS://WWW.CARANDDRIVER.COM/NISSAN/NV1500-2500-3500/SPECS

Knowing in advance that we are going to add the extra air conditioner, was not sure how much that added in weight as well as other things to consider

What can we really be feasible looking at when looking at weighs to pull on the TT. I want a bunkhouse that sleeps 9 ideally. Will either of these work?

--

I looked it up, the 7940 trailer you speak of has a GVWR of 10,953lbs i would pass on it no matter what the salesman says.