yjmoose89

Source and size for winter wheels

I am planning on purchasing a new 2018 NV3500 passenger van soon (this week if we land work out). Living in southern Wisconsin, I am planning on getting a set of winter tires and wheels, the road I live on blows over with snow frequently.

Can anybody recommend a source for winter wheels, I am fine with plan old black, definitely not white.

Also, recommendations on winter tires would be appreciated too

Thanks

We get our share of snow here in the Western PA (not too far from Lake Erie). We have GoodYead DuraTrac and love how it handles winter driving. Originally we were planning to use it for winter and use stock ones for summer. Then we simply decided to keep it on all year.

I haven't tried snow tires, so I can't recommend a specific brand.  Although, I can say that the OEM tires perform poorly in the snow.  The best tire prices I've seen are at tirerack.com and Costco.  I recommend checking their prices, no matter what kind of tire you're looking for.

Thanks for the replies. Pulled the trigger on a NVP this morning. 3500 in SL trim. Very excited about it. Hopefully snow tires will keep us on the road and I won’t have to send it out for a 4x4 conversion, that’s expensive.

From central Michigan here. 2015 NVP 3500. We use the stock wheels with Continental ContiWinterContact (I think!) light truck snow tires from tirerack.com. And I got chromed aluminum wheels at the same time from tirerack and put the stock Firestone’s on for the other 7 months.

Snow tires are amazing, simply unbelievable how they add traction. The NV is still a 7,000 two-wheel-drive tank, but I’ve tried to get stuck numerous times and *never* been stuck yet! Let me know if you want any more info. Winter tires have kind of become an obsession for me ;)

yjmoose I'm curious how your winters have been in the NV with the snow tires? I just got a 2013 3500 HD Cargo and at the last minute decided to hold off on the 4x4 conversion and go with a nice set of studded snow tires instead. Haven't bought any yet, but looking at either Goodyear WinterCommand or Firestone WInterforce AT. 

Best bet is to pm yjmoose89. 

How many miles on your 2013 cargo. Not sure which converter, Advanced or Quigley, but there is a 60,000 mile cap on used conversions. 

Where are you located climbing_envy?

Is there a reason you’re looking for studded tires vs. studless?  

2015 2wd nv3500SL , I have Cooper discover atw and I love them in the winter (245/75r17) stock rim, just got Fuel Maverick 20x9 +20mm and Nitto terra Grappler 275/55 20 tires for summer. 

21 hours ago, SebestaNV said:

2015 2wd nv3500SL , I have Cooper discover atw and I love them in the winter (245/75r17) stock rim, just got Fuel Maverick 20x9 +20mm and Nitto terra Grappler 275/55 20 tires for summer. 

IMG-20190913-WA0053.jpg

2 minutes ago, SebestaNV said:

IMG-20190913-WA0053.jpg

IMG-20190913-WA0052.jpg

Look good!   You’ll really like them.  I’ve use Continental ExtremeWinterContact for the past 6 years.  Did amazing and lasted longer than I expected for a heavy van application.