jjj784

NV3500 vs NV2500 V8

Hi,  I'm shopping between NV3500 and NV2500 V8.  Is there a huge difference between the two other than payload difference of 700lbs and bigger tires?  Both have the same motor and tranny.  Different tranny/oil coolers?  Better suspension?  Thanks. 

You can’t go wrong with more, as in 3500. But, it really comes down to planned use. We have the 2500 V8 and it works fine for our needs.

I'm guessing the 2500 would get slightly better gas mileage.  Not sure what the actual numbers are, though.

I would think that suspension in 3500 would be beefier. If you are likely to be constantly worried about the payload, I would recommend that you get a 3500. If you are sufficiently under 2500 max payload, you could get away with a 2500. 

How long do you plan to own it? I would guess the 3500 would have slightly higher resale as it appeals to a slightly larger audience. But that’s just a guess...

Thanks,   I just put a deposit on a 3500 SL standard roof.   The one thing  that just occurred to me is the difference in the mirrors on 2500 versus the tow mirrors....width.   My garage may not have the width as I think they are wider even when not extended????    The website has 99.5" for the 2500 mirror and vehicle width...but nothing listed with the tow mirrors.      Thought I had thought of everything.  Happy new year everyone!

The 2500 with V8 has the tow mirrors as well. You will also find you have just enough room with mirrors extended to get into the service entrance area at some dealerships. Take it slow at a slight angle and you should get in.

Have you checked the hight of the garage door as well. The 3500 will be slightly taller.

Enjoy your 3500 SL. That is quite the leap from what you had..

Edited by radin2son

I get my van Friday. They are installing rear windows and side slider window.

I did find the specs on the NV passenger SL which has the tow mirrors. 102.8” (not extended)

My garage is 106” and the mirrors do also fold....though i will be fine...will just have to take it slow going in and out.

The height is different

If I recall correctly, the 3500 tires are larger. Any resulting height difference would be minimal. Height should be fine since you altered your garage door for your first NV.

The “tow” mirrors are the best I’ve used. Are they adding a rear view mirror with the windows? With the interior mirror and side mirrors you can eliminate blind spots.

I have no idea what is standard or optional on the SL. Rear sensors and camera? There are posts about interior mirrors and rear cameras.

Edited by radin2son

Oh good...I will sleep better tonight. If it’s minimal, I will be fine with height.

They are adding a rear view mirror and the backup camera is standard on SL.

The rear view mirror is useless on our NVP because you can't see through all the head rests.  But, we've learned to get by just fine using the side mirrors.  The trick is to adjust them properly.  Make sure there's a small overlap between what you see in the upper and lower mirrors.  The upper mirrors should be turned outward enough that you have to lean your head to see the sides of the van.  The sides of the van should be visible in the lower mirrors without tilting your head.  If you do it right, you can pretty much eliminate your blind spots.  You may want to have someone walk around the van while you fiddle with the mirrors.  They shouldn't have anywhere to hide unless they're directly behind the van.

One other thing to consider, rear door window defroster. The dealer may be able to do this if the wiring connections are already there. If not, you may not need this. Never used it in our travels.

The interior rear view mirror is marginal in the cargo as well but you can see what is gaining on you or knowing you can pull back into the lane when passing.