yjmoose89

Redarc tow pro elite

I recently installed a Redarc towpro elite in my 2018 NV3500sl

It was super easy to install, I only had to solder 4 wires from the pigtail that came with the van to the pigtail that comes with the brake controller. I mounted the remote control head in the switch blank next to the traction control switch. It was plug and play except for those 4 labeled wires which I was able to do inside the house.

I was able to modify the factory switch blank to accept the remote head by removing some of the side of thenback of the switch blank with a dremel tool. If it functions half as good as it looks, I will be happy. I won’t be towing until the end of the month, but this brake controller is highly reviewed.

I will try and post a picture.

post-2967-0-11491600-1546626345_thumb.jpeg

Edited by yjmoose89

Nice job.  I have been using my Tekonsha P3 for years but if I upgrade I will probably try one of those new remote style units.

Nice work. Looks great!

You also like the sideways photo. Since the site was updated (?), I wonder if they added editing posted photos.

Edited by radin2son

Another double post. So, the update didn’t fix this.

Very clean installation.

Edited by radin2son

Well a little delayed but finally made our first trip with the camper in tow. The brake controller worked as expected but the van, oh wow the power. It had the power to do everything except pass a gas station. Between the lowered mileage due to towing and small tank it was 2.25 hours between stops max. But it does tow nice! Mileage was much better if I stayed just below 70 than when I let it sneak up to 75. I really like the way this thing tows, it does a better job than my 2008 2500 suburban.

Dont want to be the safety nanny but make sure your camper tires are up to 70mph towing.  Most if not all stock tires are NOT rated for anything over 60-65mph max.  Stupid move but it saves pennies so companies do it, even on $100K campers.  

Believe me, you dont want to blow a tire.  Had two blow out over the years and it is no fun.  First thing done when I get a new camper now is upgrade the tires even if they have 0 miles on them.  Havent had a blow out since over thousands of miles towing.

Believe me, you dont want to blow a tire.  Had two blow out over the years and it is no fun.  First thing done when I get a new camper now is upgrade the tires even if they have 0 miles on them.  Havent had a blow out since over thousands of miles towing.

What speed rating do you recommend?  I believe the van's OEM tires are rated for 106 MPH, but towing at that speed seems like a terrible idea.  (For that matter, driving the van without a trailer at that speed is a bad idea because emergency maneuvers are no longer a viable option.)

The new Goodyear Endurance tires are rated the best "trailer" tire out right now.  They are made here in the USA, have reinforced sidewalls and are made just for towing.  I think they are rated over 90 mph which is plenty!

They're relatively new so not a lot of long term reports but so far so good from people who own them.

I have been running LT truck tires on my campers for years since there were no tires like the Endurance available.  Currently have Goodyear Wrangler HT truck tires.  It is a load E tire with a highway tread for trucks and delivery vans.  I was more restricted due to a smaller tire size vs. most Load E commercial tires.  When I had larger rims I ran Firestone highway Load E tires similar to the factory tire on our NV's.

You do not want "lugs" on your trailer tires.  They will chunk out when turning since you are basically dragging the tire sideways, especially when in a tight spot.  You want continuous ribs like a highway tire or trailer tires on semis.  

I dont tow "fast" but I tend to stay with traffic in the right or middle lanes.  Many highways that can mean a steady 70 or so.  Stock trailer tires are normally not rated for that speed and can overheat and then boom.

Thanks for the advice on the trailer tires, a lesson I have already learned the hard way, had a blow out a few years ago. And you are correct on the cheap tires, it really wasn’t that much more expensive to get decent tires that were rated to a higher speed AND a higher load rating. I don’t remember what tires I got, what load range or speed rating they have, I just remember increasing both when I bought them.

Enjoy towing with your NV.  We love it other than the tiny gas tank.  My kids are normally ready to stop when we get low but if you are in remote areas it can get a little dicey watching that needle drop in the middle of nowhere!  

I just got another set of Goodyear Endurance trailer tires earlier this month for a cargo trailer of ours. Unless a person wants to try a light truck tire on a trailer, the Endurance is the only tire I’d recommend for trailers right now. Period.

I know it's been a year ago. But you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the switch blank showing how you had to modify it would you? It looks good, I'm ordering the redarc and was going to get their generic round cover but this looks a lot cleaner.

Check to see if yjmoose89 has been on line recently. Just click on name. If not, pm moose...

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for connecting the Redarc wiring to the factory Nissan pigtail adaptor? i.e. which color wires match up between the controller and the Nissan harness?

I know it's unlikely resurrecting an old thread, but I was looking into installing one of the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite brake controllers as well in my 2018 Nissan NV 3500 HD SL, but could use some guidance as well...  yjmoose89, do you have any more pics of the install, or guides on what wires need to get soldered together?

I installed my Redarc kit from E-trailer tonight, I used the NV to Redarc adapter for the vehicle connections and mounted the brain to the fire wall. To mount the control I used the plug that came with the kit. To pop out the insert I found it easiest to take out the glove box and push on the backside and it pushed right out.

Sorry, haven’t been here in a while. I uploaded the best pictures I have of the switch blank, and also pics of the wiring harness. Hope this helps future installers. 

I have towed about 6500 miles now with the red arc in my NV. 

BEST. TOWING. EVER.

tows my 33’ travel trailer better than my 2500 suburban ever did. Very happy with this set up. 

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg