Tatunka

Not the fuel pump, frayed wiring?

I am posting this so if anybody else has this problem, or if they have had this problem, write below.

So awhile back the MIL light came on, it came back as code P0448. A pretty common code with the 5.6 motor, evaporative emissions systems vent, short circuit. I thought no big deal, I must have filled the gas tank too full too many times. It would come and go, I would ignore it and clear the code.

Fast forward to last Saturday, I come out of work and start the truck. It reads low fuel. Ok, whatever. I go to the gas station and fill it up, 11.3 gals and shutoff. Umm, check the fuel gauge and it's still on E. I figured the gas gauge was bad, so I started to keep track of the fuel/mileage. Sunday, I go to start the truck and it wont start, WTF. I check the codes (P0448, P0447, P0183, P0181, P0463) fueses, relays, and bang on the tank. Nothing works. I get the truck towed to the stealer, they drop the tank and find that the wiring harness is frayed and shorting out causing the fuel system to shut down. So, the wiring harness is on its way and I'll report back the location of the harness and where it frayed. Has anybody heard of a frayed wiring harness, I would think the factory would secure the hell out of it. But I've been wrong before.

Wow. I’m intrigued. I’m automatically suspect of rodent damage. I’ve never heard of a newer vehicle having the harness get loose and wear anything through.

Keep us posted. Good luck.

Sorry it's taken me so long to follow up; got busy yada, yada you know the drill. Anyway the apparent problem was what andy_george suspected, rodent damage. I originally did not suspect rodent damage because this truck is a daily driver and the service tech described the damage as "frayed wires", but it turns out something was snacking on my wires. So they replaced the wiring harness and sent me on my way.

Separately, the P0448 code was diagnosed as the "fuel evap valve". It was performing as it should per the dealers tests, I would just have to live with the check engine light on. So I had it replaced since it was in the shop. So now it runs and no check engine lights.    

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it figured out. About 10 years ago I had a Mitsubishi Minicab van, a Japanese Kei vehicle I used for bouncing around our rural Michigan roads. I used it everyday, usually multiple times, and somehow a mouse still managed to build a nest in the squirrel cage fan for the hvac blower.

If only we had a way to keep rodents busy with things that didn’t cause us headaches, lol !