andy_george

Time for the diesel!

I know the likelihood of the NV getting the diesel is pretty small given the marginal sales of the van and the new Titan. I’m sure it’s not worth it to Nissan. But I’ve said it before and I’ll reiterate, since I’ll be looking for a new business vehicle with the next 18 months, the NV with the Cummins and a tow rating around 12,000lbs. would be the *perfect* vehicle for us. Come on Nissan!

And after I made that last post, I went to autotrader and looked at used Titans. I see the 2017 with the Cummins and 8’ box (that I could throw a topper onto) with low miles can be found for ~$26k. That’s an amazing value imo. Interesting.....

We know it can be done.  Cummins has one as their shuttle bus for a very long time now.  Nissan has no incentive to do it and they cut production of the NV and Titan.  That is strange since on the FB page there are a lot of people still looking to buy a NV and cant find them.

I would be interested in a diesel NV but I mainly want better mileage/range with the same towing capacity or maybe a bit more (10K lbs would be good!).  I stopped driving my NV due to gas mileage and we have pretty cheap gas for the country in SC ($1.94 right now but it just went up).  

No significant changes in 7 years, even considering the new V8 and transmission. Most of us don’t think lack of change is a bad thing, but lack of improvements (diesel, extended van etc.) is another story.

If Nissan plans to compete, they probably will have to go with a Eurovan, perhaps one already in production on a “world” platform. Or get out of producing large vans...

I agree. Nissan taunts us with flashy videos of the Cargo X with the Cumins turbo diesel and then doesn’t deliver. I get compliments on my van all the time. And from what I heard from the dealership, they sell the 4WD versions of the NV that they get from Advanced as fast as they make them. Of course that is in Utah, where there are a lot more big families.

Perhaps the lagging sales are due to the gas mileage. Other manufacturers have shown that you can improve gas mileage without sacrificing power with technologies like Ford’s Ecoboost and GM’s Active Fuel Management. I think Nissan needs to invest more into the development of the NV if they want to sell more of them.

Edited by GrooveChampion

I really think the NV was a niche vehicle that just happened to sell well to families.  It was always a cargo version first and passenger van second.  Even the passenger was more designed as a shuttle vs. home use van.  It has none of the modern day "amenities" of a nice passenger people hauler.  One of the biggest complaints I always see is basic - where is the mirror on the visor?  

I think if Nissan did make it more people/family friendly and added things a lot of people keep asking for on various forums it would drive the price sky high and sales may stall or even go down more.  The new Nissan Armada they came out with is $55K Plus for a decent level trim.  

The NV doesnt have the image of something like an Escalade or Navigator let alone a big top tier Suburban.  It will always be a niche vehicle and niche vehicles dont get touched often unless they sell good numbers.

BUT - it is STILL the only vehicle on the market that is brand new that can do what it does - haul a lot of people/gear AND tow a decent amount of weight.  Nothing else out there matches it in that regard.  The Chevy Express may be the closest and that design is even older than the NV.  Anything else can haul people OR haul weight.  Not both.

Edited by ASD Dad

Very well said, ASDad. The NV is for people who don’t mind compromises. But it’s hard for any automaker these days when consumers can air their complaints on forums. But for the most part you can’t have your cake and eat it too....

Edited by andy_george

Anyone seen “Calling all Titan Owners?” Since September, Nissan has been matching contributions to various organizations. The current project is the National Parks Association. The reason Nissan focused on Titan owners is that they are more oriented to the outdoors. Really?

Does Nissan Corp even know they make NVs?

I digress, back to improvements.

How about a “stop-start” feature for NVs. RAM eTorque, among other things, has this and fuel savings are significant for city driving.

Tesla and MB teaming up to produce the eSprinter? Why not a NVe?

Not sure what the utility value would be...

2020 Transit will offer awd, additional engine options and crew cab seating...

Nissan?