irv

2012 NV 3500 Passenger wouldn't start, battery is good, what could it be?

I was using the NV today and it didn't want to start when I went to Home Depot. Battery was just purchased in 2018, reads 12.5V and AAA checked and said the battery was good. Dash lights up when the key is turned and there is a click sound. But the van doesn't even try to start. Any ideas on what it could be?

Also, where is the starter on this van? I tried to google it so I could try hitting the starter to see if that would help me get home, but I couldn't find information on my phone and decided to just tow the NV. It was a sad night, with matching rain to reflect the mood.

post-3045-0-57157400-1551598500_thumb.png

The starter is on top of the motor (V8) at the rear, under the intake.  Are you using a transponder key?  Might try a different key?  Also there are some fuses and relays under the hood that could be at fault. If you have the service manual, they have a good troubleshooting steps for no start.  If you dont have it, go and download it.  Google it.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I do have the service manual but I have not found the relevant section yet, I will search again. I'll try the free/cheap things later like the spare key, cleaning the terminals, swapping the relay, and making sure the transmission/sensor sees that the van is in park. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not one of the more costly things.

Good news update! The NV is alive and kicking at no cost to fix. I found thid troubleshooting video for the Frontier, Titan, Armada, Xterra that worked for the Nv as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HHDU2KDqSOA

The key-sequence fix for the antitheft system worked like a charm.

post-3045-0-69635500-1551653875_thumb.png

Edited by irv

Interesting.  Problem resolved, but I'm still curious.  I have a non-start scenario that is somewhat similar and I don't suspect the anti-theft/IPDM system.  I'll check it anyway.  (Good video on 1.5x playback speed)

This only occurs when it is colder, colder than it was the day before.  Today was like 40s compared to 60s yesterday.  The key is turned and all seems normal except a metallic tinking clicking sound under the hood near the intake manifold.  No start.  Sometimes we open close doors or hood (looking for problem) and then it starts.  This has been going on for over a year, but very very intermittent.  Only recently started again with cooler weather.  Could it be battery?  Maybe, but it always starts eventually with no intervention.  So it has been a year or more on this same battery, hard to believe that is the problem.

It has never died, and never runs poorly.  

Other ideas?  Solenoid?  Neutral safety switches?  I just wonder if the IPDM condition manifests this clinking sound or not.

I have a similar intermittent issue. Did you run a engine scan report to look for possible trouble codes? I ran a code scan with a tool called BlueDriver. My problem of poor performance and not starting appears to be in the ECU or some module , like the O2 sensors, or communication between them all. That's what the code scan says anyway. Trying to fix now.

Probably unrelated however an aftermarket alarm system I had installed would go off for no reason when the temperatures dropped to 40 or so.

Interesting, Corvus.  I do have a CEL on for some time now related to oxygen or cats.  I suppose it could all be related.  Please let us know what you find.

I had a similar issue and resolved by removing battery terminals and cleaning them.  Poor contact was causing the starter not to engage.

I had a similar issue and resolved by removing battery terminals and cleaning them.  Poor contact was causing the starter not to engage.I had a similar issue and resolved by removing battery terminals and cleaning them.  Poor contact was causing the starter not to engage.

Thanks for the prompting, Cmercer9.  I did resolve this just a few weeks ago.  New starter after a 150 mile tow back home.  $1800 at the dealer.

We were stranded on top of a mountain on the Appalachian Trail.  We were well taken care of by a nearby hostel, AAA and our overseeing God.