irv

Head unit wires and connectors

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the wires for my 2012 NVP 3500 SL. I just recently bought it without a head unit, which was OK with me because I had planned to install an Android head unit anyway (I've installed a couple using adapter harnesses). But I didn't realize that the previous owner cut the original connector off and crimped directly into the wires. Now I can't figure out what the wires are supposed to be exactly. There are also 2 other free connectors attached to the wire bundle that I thought could also be used to connect to the radio, but neither fits the Metra wiring harness adapter that I purchased for Nissans 2007+. One seemed similar enough but the location of the raised plastic on the connectors are offset from the metra adapter and so wouldn't fit.

I tried to read through the service manual but it's confusing to me. I'm checking out the AV section, I'm guessing the previous owner had cut Connector No. M44, and the white connectors I see must be Connector No. M46 and M85. I was going to compare the diagram with the actual connectors, but I can't decipher some color codes. Is there a legend or can anyone shed light to the following color codes:

- L (for front door speakers)

- SB & LG (for steering switch signal a)

- BR (illumination control signal)

- GR & LG (steering switch signal B)

I also noticed there are colors that seem to repeat... not sure how to tell which is which without the pinout position (like Ground shows up several times in different colors). I probably need to read through this again when I'm not sleepy. But if anyone has tips on how to sort this, I'd appreciate any help :)

post-3045-0-97291800-1551775674_thumb.jpg

post-3045-0-01737600-1551777391_thumb.jpg

It's bad enough that they used crimp connectors.  But seeing those cut wires is like rubbing salt in the wound.  Whoever committed that crime needs to have their wire strippers revoked until they learn how to do things the right way.

Thanks for the PDF links, those should be helpful with the wire colors! I hope I could finally use it to install the head unit this weekend.

Yeah no kidding about the mess he left. I did use the absence of a radio to negotiate the price lower, I should've pushed more had I known how bad the wires were hehe.

I installed the head unit weeks ago but didn't have time to post an update until now. It wasn't as easy since the previous owner cut all the connectors off.

I bought two wiring harnesses. First was an adapter for aftermarket head units that has the female connector. This was easy to splice directly to the Android head unit wires since the colors and pinouts are easy to tell. I also got the male wiring harness to add back an OEM-style connector to make it easy for future changes. This was trickier since the wire colors are different and there were duplicates.

I used P41-42 of the AV chapter of the service manual to figure out what each wire was and what pin on the connector. Most could be deciphered, some were trickier and had to use a multimeter and trial and error as well.

- 2x Blue (L on the manual) are for the front door speakers, had to do a sound test to determine left and right

- 2x Whites were for front speakers, remaining one was for steering wheel switches.

- Brown (Br) could be either illumination control or steering switch ground, so just needed to determine which one was a ground.

- Yellow for 12v power and steering switch signal. I think 12v power was thicker... or at least easy enough to find 12v with the multimeter.

Once the wires and connectors were sorted, it was easy enough to attach the head unit itself. I needed to get brackets, I made the mistake of trying an aftermarket Metra kit at first that felt like flimsy plastic and didn't seem to be worth the price. I found the correct OEM brackets that are a lot better! Android head unit is now installed and I have a radio, backup camera, OBD data, Navigation, streaming music, etc. :)

AV service manual.pdf

post-3045-0-33207600-1557700598_thumb.jpg

post-3045-0-52965000-1557700621_thumb.jpg

post-3045-0-86796500-1557700653_thumb.jpg

post-3045-0-23197600-1557700711_thumb.jpg

post-3045-0-28433500-1557700725_thumb.jpg

post-3045-0-31075000-1557700737_thumb.jpg

Nice work fixing that mess.

What Head unit is that?