andy_george

Ford announces Transit upgrades

Ford announced today that the 2020 Transit will come with new gas and diesel motors, along with available 4-wheel drive, a ten speed transmission for the gas motors, and a “crew” model with seating for 5 and open space behind. I know they sell a lot more Transits than Nissan does NV’s, so it’s easier to justify the changes, but I applaud them for very, very good ideas for vans.

But until it can tow like the NV, I’ll stay put.

Edited by andy_george

That's amusing. We spent more than a year trying to a buy a Transit with the 3.5 litre ecoboost engine (which by the way is a power/torque monster), 3.55 final drive and the towing package - a specification offered in their 'configure your purchase' utility. Over the course of that year, we went to 4  Ford dealers in CA and OR, and none, not one of them, could ever get that configuration on any manufacturing plan for delivery, ever!

That's why we have an NV. :)

And we're happy with it.

Currently driving it around Baja California. Blog @ https://www.oddstray.com

Global platform lets Ford do this. There is a fwd version in Europe, while rwd is offered here. Combine the 2 and you get awd.

Great Baja photos. Any interest in your NV? We sometimes see the Mexican made (global platform?) Nissan passenger van in Tucson. Looks very much like the Toyota ambulances you see on tv dealing with one of many tragic events.

Edited by radin2son

Interest? Not much except for today, when we got stopped at a Federales checkpoint north of Loreto. The man in charge eyes widened and he informed us that he was going to do an 'inspection'. He took a long look around inside (without disturbing anything), shook my hand and sent us on our way. Tee Hee.

Lots of those 'global' Nissan vans around - many as passenger buses, some as cargo vans. We haven't seen any other NV's at all.

Thanks for the photo compliment. :)

Simon, was there any reason given why that specific Transit van couldn’t be built? It sounds like a logical package, so I wonder what the issue was?

-Andy

It's good that the Transit is getting better.  But until they can make it comfortable inside, I'm steering clear of it.

I used to see a ton of Transits on the road.  Now I hardly see any.  If anything I see more of the awful Promasters.  

Until they make the Transit tow more and lose some of the problems they had I am sticking with Nissan.  Honestly my biggest wish for the Nissan is a larger gas tank.  It is just too small when towing!  I have a nearly 2000 mile round trip tow coming up this summer so that will be a whole lot of stops.  The kids are normally ready to stop when I get low on gas but I would still prefer way more range.

Simon, was there any reason given why that specific Transit van couldn’t be built? It sounds like a logical package, so I wonder what the issue was?

-Andy

Firstly, they couldn't get an axle with limited slip differential, then they couldn't get any axles at all, of any ratio!!! - they were all going into F-150's apparently.

ASD Dad, have you considered adding a second tank? I’ve heard of people adding them but haven’t looked into it too deeply.

ASD Dad, have you considered adding a second tank? I’ve heard of people adding them but haven’t looked into it too deeply.

I have not, the only one I think I read about was in the spare tire location and I would much rather have a spare.  I dont want to load a 100 lb wheel tire up on my roof rack and have it take up all that room either and I have not seen a rear mount rack.  Just too much work.

My ‘62 Land Rover had the auxiliary tank under the passenger seat. You had to lift up the cushion to fill the tank. No seat belts either until I installed them. With the seat belts, I felt really “safe,” but the fumes bothered me. Youth!

Outside Van added 110 gallon capacity to a NV. The original owner has old (2014) posts on Expedition Portal. Easier to google “Kodiak Nissan nv” to get to posts. Twin 55 gallon tanks were “shoehorned” under the van with a 3/16” skid plate. Rear airbags were added to handle the extra weight. 700 miles on a partial fill... if you read through his posts, the twin tanks were made by Jarred Bowen, PDX Tuning in Portland. Business closed/gone, but in 2014, they apparently were willing to sell 1 55 gallon tank to be installed where the original is.

Edited by radin2son

If you have to beef up the suspension to hold the fuel, it's probably too much fuel.  That doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun, though.

I'd be really happy with a single 40 gallon tank in place of the original tank.