enys

Interested in 2500 or 3500 help me choose....

Hi there - in my quest for a new van to replace the one that died and I hated -Dodge Ram 2003. I have set my sights on these ugly vehicles . They were honestly not even on my list because of the shape and I just wrote them off as cheap . Now I admit they have caught my eye after some research. Well I looked at a promaster which just looks like junk - I looked at a MB sprinter which is ridiculously priced and I cant seem to justify it . Ford etc . They all get good and bad raps. Then I saw these and looked at one and read some reviews here.....and saw the 100,000 mile warranty ! That caught my eye and I now see some beauty in this truck. I do wood floors and have a large gas powered dustless vacuum system that I tow in a 16' trailer with the Silverado I have. My plan is to downsize the trailer that will just house the vac system and hose reel. The sanders and other tools will now go in the van . Any pointers on either a 2500 vs 3500 ? Is there any significant difference in the 2018-19 models ? Does anybody tow with their NV's ? And what can I expect to pay for one of these ? I appreciate any feedback and or comparisons to the vehicles I mentioned above.

Thanks 

Eric 

Edited by enys

If you are going to tow, go with the 3500. I chose the NV with much the same rationale as you.

We just took delivery of our 2018 NV3500 SL cargo a few days ago. I was thinking the 2500 would be good enough, but all the 3500s have the 7 speed transmission, 75 series tires (vs 70 series) class IV receiver, 7 pin connector, tow mirrors, are prewired for trailer brake controller, and have a transmission fluid cooler. There were no significant differences between the 2018 and 2019. We were fortunate to find the 2018 we wanted with the rear window option. 

Going with the 3500 just made it easier to get it all versus the 2500. 

Download the brochure and check out the specifications. The differences are listed. Check with your dealer for the complementary upfit package options for businesses. 

I've also ordered a Redarc Tow Pro Elite proportional trailer brake controller from eTrailer.com for clean installation behind the dash with only a control button visible on the dash. That's a job for next week. 

You’ve nailed all the reasons the NV is for you. It’s not overly styled to be beautiful, but it’s built better to do its job than anything else. Period. I came from a GMC Savana in 2014 and hardly considered the NV because I also didn’t like it’s looks. But the pros *completely* outweigh the cons for me.

I’d go with the 3500 also. It’ll tow a trailer anytime, anywhere as well or better than any 1/2 ton truck. The unibody euro vans may be rated to pull your small trailer, but the NV is a truck with a van body capable of towing everyday and still last 200,000 miles. I have complete confidence it’s the right vehicle for your description. Keep us posted!

I just got back from towing my travel trailer aprox. 900 miles round trip with my 2018 Nv3500 passenger van. Trailer weighs about 7000lb loaded. This van pulled it easily, much better than my 2008 suburban 2500 with the 6.0L engine. I averaged 8.5 mpg doing 70 mph which was good to me. I have the Redarc towpro elite (purchased from etrailer) and highly recommend it.

If I were in your shoes and going to be hauling weight everyday in the van (dust machine and sanders) I would rather have a van rated to haul slightly more weight than just enough. You know how these things go, and eventually more weight and tools find their way to the van than you originally intended. I would go with the 3500, I don’t think you will regret it.

Good luck! And enjoy

Your Suburban was older, but I’m pleasantly surprised to hear you think the NV pulled better than the 6.0. Nice!

Our camper loaded was around 8,000 pounds and it pulled fine everywhere, even Michigan to Florida twice.

Unfortunately that camper is sold and I’ve replaced it with a 12,000 gvwr cargo trailer based toy hauler, so I’ll be using our Super Duty to pull that around.

These trucks are reliable, and well built. I have been drivng Nissans since 1999. My NV is the 2500. It has the same V6 that my little Frontier pick up does. I do tow a small travel trailer with mine and it has no problem even with the bigger tires than stock. The one dragging the feet when I got this was my wife. She thought it was ugly, too big and ugly. I liked it but now she loves it . When she goes to the grocery store she puts stuff in the cooler (i installed it) and never wonders where she’s gonna put other stuff. It’s safer too because she can open the slider, toss a whole basket of groceries in climb in behind it and shut, lock the door, then arrange things as she sees fit.