Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

Spring and Summer Travel

Here are a few apps:

REI CO-OP National Parks. No cell service needed. REI put this together in 2016 for national Parks 100th anniversary. Still adding parks.

Campendium. Requires cell service. Mostly RV orientation but good site. Particularly useful when looking for public land access and free sites. Also has reviews.

AllTrails for hiking. No cell service needed.

We decided to go to Pinnacles later this month using REI’s app and used Campendium to find Sawtooth, a free BLM site south of Barstow.

Add other apps you may use...

I use Offline Maps and Navigation app.  Does gps based navigation with no cell coverage,  Just download the maps prior to your trip.

I had trouble getting the Campendium app to work and used their web site. Their moderator got back to me right away to sort it out. Didn’t help but that could be me etc. He did say their long term goal is for the app to work offline without downloading. Too expensive at this point.

Most app descriptions aren’t clear if they work with gps only. Quick way to find out is put your phone on airplane mode and try them out, well at least the free apps. Most can be upgraded for $$.

Edited by radin2son