NoMoss

Advanced 4x4 vs Tim Dahle Nissan all Nissan parts conversion

Hey everybody, new Montana member here. Lookin to buy a new NV cargo for my retirement adventures and considering going with the Advanced 4x4 conversion or the Tim Dahle Nissan conversion which uses all Titan XD parts so it's Nissan from end to end. I'm new to this game so I would appreciate any and all advice from more experienced off roaders. I'm not really looking for a serious rock crawler, just something that can reliably get me into the places I want to go. Would really love your input on drivability, off road worthiness, reliability and anything else I should know before spending 60k on a van I've never driven. Thanks in advance.

John 

Welcome.

First thing to do is scroll down to “New 4x4 owner” then check out posts regarding Advanced and Quigley.

The consensus regarding the basic NV is that it is one tough truck. Few issues to worry about and an excellent warranty. Even those of us who took a chance on new 2012-13 NVs with a 36k warranty have had little to complain about.

One issue to consider is the scarcity of NV commercial dealerships particularly in the west.

Thanks for the info. I will check that out. Yeah I've found a few dealerships within 500 miles or so, just need to make an informed decision on which conversion to go with. I've heard the Quigley is more designed for off roading and doesn't feel so good on highways. Leaning towards the all Nissan conversion on the 3500.

Advanced has been converting 2017-18 NVs (new engine and transmission) for quite awhile. Quigley delayed converting these years until just recently. Why? The main question about the all Titan conversion is how many have been built. Then there is quality and reliability.

Read KMG’s posts. He no longer has his Quigley NV, but he drove his from Missouri to the northwest and back. There are Advanced owners as well. Many no longer post, but may respond to a PM.

Good luck on your search.

Edited by radin2son

Am I right in that the Titan and NV share the same frame? If so it would seem natural to be able to mount up a Titan 4x4 system or maybe I'm assuming too much? How do I find KMG? I did a search and couldn't find him. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Before the New Titan, the rumor mill suggested NV frame was developed for the Titan. True? More likely, r&d wanted a frame for both like most modern platforms.

To PM someone, click on the login name to get to their profile page, then click on personal message and send your message. It will go to their email address as a message on the forum. Go to likes leaders and KMG is there and you will get his profile.

You will need to go to the full site if you are using your phone. It’s just easier...

Edited by radin2son

I did the Tim Dahle conversion for my personal van. I’ll just say be very careful dealing with that group. I will not deal with them again.

PM me if you want details

Hey thanks radin2son, I'll hit him up.

No Moss, Have you prior experience with car/truck camping/travel? The big disadvantage when camping in a NV or any other camper van for extended periods is you have to pack it up every time you want to explore. I would be tempted to keep your 4Runner, add a roof top camper and/or a small off road camper or utility trailer to use as a base camp. 60k will go a long way to restore your “older” 4Runner, if needed, and add a trailer.

adventure-journal.com (Overlandia) has a new article on a US couple who wanted a 90s Toyota Land Cruiser and ended up with a 90s Land Rover Defender. Both vehicles had extensive use in Africa. Good read.

Have you considered used? conversiontrader.com and sportsmobile.com have used vehicles. No NVs however...

radin2son Thanks for all your input. I have been goin round and round in my head with all these options for many years. I have decades of comping experience including van camping. I've always found it easier to camp out of the van than the 4Runner for instance because of the room. I have no experience with rooftop tents but would seem you have to pack up all your stuff each time as well. I want to avoid towing anything. I would do a minimal uplift with bed, refer, stove, sink leaving much room for storage inside. As it is now I have to unpack all gear from 4runner then repack when leaving or risk getting ripped off. Being a photographer who chases the light, my emphasis is on stealth and mobility so my modus operandi is geared towards that end. I plan on keeping the 4Runner as it only has 126k and is a Limited with locker. Took me 2 years to find it. Had 113k when I bought it. Anyway, she'll get me anywhere I want to go so I'll have that option. I've looked at some used vans locally, just haven't found the right one I guess. I've only bought 1 new vehicle ever so I thought I might splurge for my retirement and buy new. Lots to consider and makes for a difficult decision. Thanks again for all your advice. I'll check out those websites.

I have 2018 3500 at Advanced right now.  I live close by so it has been a blessing to be able to visit both Dahle and Advanced prior to making a decision.  I like both of the shops very much, both are friendly and are willing to spend all the time you need to feel them out.  I like the idea of the electronic shifter the Dahle offers. The cost difference aren't really much of a factor since they're pretty similar. The guys at Dahle even have great things to say about Advanced.  If I remember correctly (big if, could be wrong) Dahle does not convert the V6s and will send them to Advance for the work.   BUT after talking with a bunch of folks and spending time with Randy and Shane at Advanced and on the recommendation of the dealer I bought the rig from, I went with Advanced.  I like that Advanced is the Aluminess dealer here in the Salt Lake Area....since I just about doubled the cost of the van with the 4X4 conversion and all the accessories!  I should get my van in about 3 weeks from now and from my opportunity to walk through their shop, meeting with the guys who actually to the dirty work, and seeing their prior work I have no regrets (so far) in my decision.   Now if the wheels come off on my way home I'll let you guys know right away!  I'll post pics in the future.  Jeff

jww Thanks for chiming in. Your input is greatly appreciated. Please let us know what you think after you pick it up. I'm agonizing over this decision so any info is a great help. Thanks.

Thanks for letting us know your past experience, camping and photography. No wrong way to do this, just"what was I thinking" and improvements . Now you just have to go drive a NV.

Radin2son Yup, I agree, thanks again for all your help. I'll try to remember to post when I pull the trigger.

Not that you have to go this way... Check out the new Overlandia post and video for the Jeep Gladiator “Wayout” on adventure-journal.com It’s “Jeep Easter Safari” time in Moab, UT.

On a totally different scale, we have seen a few Earth Roamers around the west. Based on diesel Ford 450 pickups and will run $175-500k for used with very low mileage. But you get a wine rack and freezer... These are truly for people with too much money.

Edited by radin2son

radin2son Yeah I've drooled over the EarthRoamer, maybe if I hit the lotto! Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. No decision yet on what I'm gonna buy. Just gonna use the 4Runner for now until I get better informed.

Your 4Runner is one of the best vehicles...

We had a ‘05 Passat tdi wagon when we started the process and looked at getting a used Sprinter. Because we had an ‘83 Westfalia, we never considered towing or slide in camper. In 2012, we stumbled across Sportsmobile and their short lived Nissan conversion (30).

Saw an article today about VW “California” vans, only available in Europe an UK. I didn’t know Daimler Chrysler bought Westfalia in 2001.

Well I just had some rental property fall in my lap that is too good a deal to pass up, so looks like the 4Runner is gonna be it for now. Still planning on getting an NV sometime but it's gonna have to wait for now. So how would you rate the road ride of the SM? Do they change the suspension when they install the 4x4? Is it AWD as opposed to 4WD?

Oops! Didn’t mean to confuse the issue if you thought we have a 4x4 NV Sportsmobile (SMB). We did the research and considered several times having Advanced do the work but couldn’t convince ourselves that we needed it. Still don’t see a need...

SMB West (Fresno) exclusively used Quigley when converting Ford E-series vans, their preferred van. They never converted any of the 30 NVs, perhaps because Nissan tried selling them through commercial dealerships. I believe Quigley builds were in house and may still be for Chevy/GMC vans. Transit? They built a one-off E- series lookalike van on a 350 cutaway. Check out their video through the Mohave. MB 4x4 also along for the trip.

So, if your question is about 4x4 road ride, I can’t help you. Otherwise, it is a great road cruiser on pavement and dirt. You just have to remember it is 20’ and heavy...

Enjoy your 4Runner.

radin2son No worries, Now I'm thinking I might just get a 2wd NV for now and use the 4Runner when headed to the rough stuff. So many choices......... Thanks again for the info.

John

I have a 4x4 conversion from Advanced with a 2” lift and 34” tires. I love it. I didn’t notice a significant difference in the ride from the stock NVP that I test drove.

GrooveChampion  Thanks for chiming in, appreciate the info. Did you get a build sheet from Advanced and did you deal with them directly? How was your experience as a customer?

I bought mine through Ken Garff, which is located just a few blocks away from Advanced. I live in New Mexico, so the process was a little involved. I knew that I wanted a full size van and wanted to convert it to a 4x4. I test drove the Ford, Chevy, Mercedes, and Nissan vans down in Albuquerque. I decided that the Nissan was the van for me. Then I started calling Nissan dealerships all over the west to see who would give me the best deal. Ken Garff gave me the best quote right away. No runaround. No haggling. I checked with other dealerships in the region that also stock Advanced conversions and confirmed that Ken Garff had given me the best deal. The lack of transportation cost to and from Advanced undoubtedly helps a lot but even before the transportation costs, they gave me the best quote. I worked with the folks from Ken Garff and Advanced remotely through phone calls and emails and finished the transaction before I flew up to pick up my van. All in all, I had a great experience.

Hello everyone. 

Trying to get any info on converting my 2016 nv3500 into 4x4.

Can anyone help with any part numbers of front drive axles, transfer case, frame cross member will need repositioning to fit transfer case?  Any other parts I need?   

2016 titan parts will do?  6 lug titan hubs drive axles can be used on a 8 lug nv3500?  

Suggestions on lift kits?   Suspensions?  Best places to buy it from?  

Can titan rhino off road running boards be fitted onto nv van?  

Best place to buy rear door ladder and safari roof rack?  

Thanks in advance everyone for all suggestions, comments and advices.