Sign in to follow this  
Hein

Roof vent adapters

Hello most wonderful NV van enthusiasts. Some of you may be familiar with me from my activity on other van forums. We help folks up-fit their vans for work and fun.

3M Thinsulate SM600L acoustic/thermal insulation is very popular with both professional and DIY van builders and a great way to insulate your van both for noise and thermal performance. There is no need for any other noise control or thermal insulation other than the Thinsulate.  Hard to believe it is that simple but it is true and backed up by positive comments we have received from 100's of satisfied customers. Thinsulate is the only insulation that is specifically engineered for vehicles and does not come out of residential construction. It passes FMVSS-302 flammability requirements, does not absorb moisture and is easy and safe to install.

We also just released our patent pending roof adapters to fit RV vents and skylights to the Nissan NV high roof and low roof vans. Our adapters absorb the contours and ribbing in the roof profile and provide a flat level surface for the vent to sit on. They are very popular because everyone needs a roof vent. Please find our ebay listing for the adapter via DIYvan or feel free to call or message me for more info.

I hope the moderators will allow my somewhat commercial introductory post. I am not new to the van world. I grew up traveling in my father's Volkswagen bus and we took our kids all over America in a van during the 80's. We own Sprinter, Transit and Promaster vans and a Nissan Titan pickup. We are sure to have an NV in our future for R&D purposes. In my opinion the NV is probably the most robustly built van and would be my choice for a Quigley 4x4 conversion.

I am here to help with all phases of your NV build and would be happy to answer questions about any part of your van project. I am a member of SAE and have a lifetime of experience in vehicle design, manufacturing, customization and up-fitting. I am very familiar with building and integrating RV electrical systems that are sometimes hard for some folks to understand. Please allow me to help you. I am happy to answer questions here so please post a reply if you like.  I will check back a few times a day as I do on all the van forums. This is my full time job (24/7) and it is very gratifying for me to share my knowledge and experience. I am well into my 50s so can relate to both young and old. We are very honest in our business dealings and our customer service and  support is very well regarded.

All the best,

Hein

DIYvan

541 490 5098

Edited by Hein

21 hours ago, Local Apparent Friday said:

Did anybody ever use these?

We installed our MaxxAir fan using one of Hein's adapters in our 2012 Nissan 3500 and it works exactly as advertised. It does limit placement to the roof centerline, though. We had originally wanted to mount it slightly off-center in order to allow room for a bathroom bulkhead and we ended up having to build the bulkhead with an angled step-back so it would clear the fan. In retrospect I'm glad we did that -- it makes the center aisle seem a lot roomier. Anyway... it's been installed for two years now with no leaks or any other problems.

IMG_0045.JPG

Thanks for weighing in.  Cool build, looks like I see a propane water heater as well?  Would love to see more details, looks very clean.

38 minutes ago, Local Apparent Friday said:

Thanks for weighing in.  Cool build, looks like I see a propane water heater as well?  Would love to see more details, looks very clean.

Thanks.  Yes, propane water heater mounted permanently and vented through the roof using a wind-proof baffled marine vent cap. We are just putting in the final touches and will post up a build sequence hopefully soon.

Nimbus w lp removed small.JPG

15 minutes ago, Local Apparent Friday said:

@Nimbus What did you use for adhesive?  I'm debating between windoweld or 5200.

We used Windoweld as recommended by the manufacturer. It was pretty spendy and hard to find but I think it was worth it. We also used Dicor lap sealant for sealing around the edges of the roof fan and flange.

We also use Dupont Betaseal 428+ and SikaFlex 221.  The adapters can also be made to go offset of roof center-line.

All the best,

Hein

DIYvan

I ended up installing it with windoweld and then sealing it with the flextseal aerosol.  I have never used it and wanted to see what it was like.  So far, still dry.