chris_columbia

Leather steering wheel in cargo van

Not sure if anyone has done this before(I couldn't find a thread mentioning it), but I really like leather steering wheels, and it just so happens that the NV3500 passenger van commonly has one, but the cargo models don't. They are 100% interchangeable. You just reuse the airbag, as it fits perfectly in the leather wheel. Pulling the steering wheel off the splines was a pain and required a lot of force on the steering wheel removal tool(or plate with three screws, which I used). Picture of my new wheel attached! $128 factory new on ebay.

post-3080-0-45524500-1554860402_thumb.jpg

Edited by chris_columbia

Looks great. My 2014 Hi-top’s wheel is wearing poorly and I may want to do this. Do you have any in-process pics? Thanks.

No "in process" pics. Basic instructions are:

1. Use a 10mm wrench with extension to get to the bolt on either side of the steering wheel that holds the airbag on. 2 bolts.

2. Pull airbag off, and disconnect the yellow and orange airbag connectors. You have to pull the black tab up first using a small screwdriver than the connector detaches.

3. Disconnect the CC and radio harness if equipped.

4. remove steering wheel nut. I think it was 19mm. You'll need a long handle extension or "breaker bar".

5. Use a steering wheel removal tool to pull steering wheel off splines.

6. Install in reverse order.