fast1gt

Gas Mileage

Ran into a couple from Canada yesterday using their low top, 6 banger NV as a tour bus.

They said they love it but only average 15mpg.

I'm thinking the high tops are really getting the worst mpg.

I bet the 6 cylinder vs 8 is close to the same mpg.

I've been seeing the passenger NV's on the dealer lots now.

I'M gonna go test drive one. I drove a high top & didn't like it. A lot of road noise & we sure were getting blown around breezy, day going day the interstate.

One worry is would the 5.6 passenger NV tow better then my 4.6 Tundra DC longbed?

Anyone seeing any websites supporting chipsets, tuner packs, or air intakes for the NV?

Just started driving and am getting about 14ish...once i put in a tuner chip and air flow and start the synthetic oil, it should get a little better.

I work for a courier company and have used 2 chevy's in the past, but I've been a die hard Nissan fan for the last 10 years. So this time wanted to stick with Nissan and went ahead with the NV since cargo vans are what is needed for our company. Chevys were pretty bad with gas mileage but this Nissan NV 2500 HD is just ridiculous with gas mileage. I read on forums asked around for gas mileage but almost everyone suggested 13-14 city. Seemed fine because as long as I last 2 days in one tank Im fine, since thats what used to happen with the chevy. But Im only 1.5 day past, and the tank is already empty. This is crazy and I'm already stuck with the lease. I dont know what to do. Im starting to look for solutions to increase my mpg such as performance chips, exhausts and all that. Im not too sure about those either. This gas mileage thingy is just driving my nuts. Now my eyes are always on the tank and my avg meter reads anywhere from 9.5-11 and I carry less than 2000 pounds every single day. Any help at all to increase my gas mileage would be much appreciated. I was so frustrated I wrote Nissan to complain about this issue. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last Feb I bought a NEW NV 2500HD SV V8 with tech package glass and tow cost $32,000 It was the worst decision of my entire life it was a low top 1St mistake I was looking for mileage and downsizing Big mistake I had a Super good Sprinter high top that got 24 mpg this PIG started out at 10 mpg when I drove it for over 6000 miles it averaged 12 mpg I had a ladder rack on top I took that off and the ladders and got ladders that fit inside the tiny box (I had shelfing and bulkhead) it picked the mileage up at highway speeds a few mpg but only on the highway. I knew I made a huge mistake leasing this and after the first week and for months I tryed everthing to get rid of it, Of course the dealer never told me you would loose 10,000 dollars geting out of the lease. I hated the truck the thing was a pig always shifting down motor screaming no wonder it got terrible fuel mileage, I put it on swap a lease dot com. for months no luck kept lowering leasing by adding insentives NO LUCK. Went to a lot of SPRINTER dealers NO one could give me much because a flood of them at the auctions bring no money $14,000 to $16,000 that is 1/2 of what I paid in the lease looks like I was not the only one that HATED this PIG. I did trade it in on a leftover sprinter a BIG 170wb hightop 3500 dual wheels IT gets average 18 MPG loaded and more on the highway almost 20 mpg. I DID LOOSE $10,000, in the process, and for 6400 miles I drove it was a bad mistake Nissan blew it I will never buy anthing from them again ever. MY SUGGESTION DO NOT BUY ONE IF YOU ARE LOOKING for a few more $ you will recover in a short time buy a SPRINTER. I am now happy I got 7,500 miles on the sprinter and love it.

I have a NVP with the V6 and can't complain with the fuel economy considering the size and weight of this van. I get 25mpg with approx. 1000lbs. of supplies for hwy. and approx. 16mpg in the city. This is a capable high quality vehicle, the v6 for me was more practical. I do feel for you guys with the v8, not very efficient for sure!

I have owned my 2500 NV HD since March 2012, have 6500 miles, and I get 11.0 mpg towing a 31' Airstream trailer in northern Pa, and Northern Ohio. I get 11.8 mpg avg highway and very little city NOT towing, too. The van is excellent in every way, except the very poor mpg. The averages are over 20 fillups with 87 octane fuel, properly inflated tires, and so on. I have about 400 lbs, (toolbox, dive equipment) in van. It is odd, the engine runs so smooth, & I drive moderately. So I wonder if my van's transmission is in tow haul mode despite the indicator being off. Or is there another solution, like a superchip like diesels use? Also, what about warranty issues?

My mpg indicator on trip computer has misterioisly gone missing...cycles from range straight to ave mph...anyone else have this issue. So far no dealership has figured it out.

I would have gotten the V6 but it didnt have the options the v8 does... i am using this as the family car.

only 2 fill ups so far. 1st tank, got 15 mpg, 2nd fill up, got 14.5 mpg. both those were empty still. 2nd tank is in the mountains of WV. Can't complain though. with the high top, V8. I can climb the mountains with cruise on and it don't shift from OD> could never do that in my Ford. It sounded like the engine was going to blow before i gave in to fear and released the cruise control.

Question as well... I to have a missing fuel mileage indicator on my display. The unit i test drove had MPG. the unit i purchased, i can't find it. did find average MPH, like i care about that number.. lol

Mileage is definately improving after you put some miles on them. Been averaging 13-14 until lately; now seeing 16 + 70/30. 

Amsoil 5w30, and AFE filter

Somewhat loaded with tools and supplies, and no ugly ladder rack. 

60-65 lbs psi in all the tires.

2012 2500 HD, SV, 5.6L, LO roof

Also noticed that if you also reset the time, mph, and mpg on the display at fillup; it is more accurate at the next fillup.

Any one else seeing improved MPG?

Edited by 3toyotasnv

You guys that are missing the MPG display?  I would disconnect the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds or so to reset it.  I have found this to work in the past on another Nissan product.... hope that works.

FUEL mileage?  Awful for the way I drive and the conditions:  5.6, low roof, tires inflated properly, synthetic oil, broken in (18k miles), about #1,000 or less of cargo, easy on take-offs, mostly highway (64mph), waxed :)........ I get about 17 indicated (which is happy),  if I calculate it, then I get about 15-15.5 MPG.  Just for comparison: I owned an 2001 E250, 5.4 equipped similarly that initially got 17 MPG Calculated!  When I sold it (180k, 12 years old),  it got 15 MPG!!!  this is for a van that was built in 2001 and are you telling me that NISSAN couldn't do better than this??????  The effing Nissan weighs almost #1,000 pounds less EMPTY!  :cry:

I am extremely unhappy with the fuel economy.... Yeah... I know its 2' longer and has a taller, square profile, but technology is there!  What gives? 

Other than the fuel economy, and the "ugliness",  I just love the ride, features, interior, etc.  ( In my opinion, the looks department would be better if they had rounded off the "A" pillars a bit to smooth out the transition to the "box".)

I too would be interested in any improvements in economy from add-ons, take-offs.  I did replace the stock filter with a K & N element.  Problem is.... the aftermarket industry probably NOT invest any monies in options, unless the pathfinder or pickup mods will work for us.  Oh well...... I really do love the van.  Hope someone (HELLO NISSAN) can figure a way to increase the fuel economy with a simple change?

11.6 MPg at 90% highway. NV3500 Highroof. No I'm not going to drive 60-65mph. The turnpikes are set at 75mph. I'll gladly do 80mph as time is money.

I've ran out of gas twice. Only getting appx 275 miles out of a tank.

have a feeling that the suits at nissian were all hey we have excess capicity at the Titan plant what can we slap together....  almost bought a sprinter hope i dont regret my choice

We don't use our NV, low top camper conversion as a daily driver, but we have put 21788 miles on it since October, 2012.

During 2012, we averaged 14.13 mpg over 4954 miles, based on gallons used/pumped per miles driven. (The trip computer generally shows ± a mile better.) This included towing our car from Fresno to Tucson (13.1 mpg).

We averaged 16.15 mpg over 16834 miles during 2013.

Truck Trend did an year long test and averaged 14 mpg.

Edited by radin2son

three fill ups and 11.1 mpg  never faster than 68 mph mostly just me in the NV on the highwway with cruise set and on

This truck, NV3500SL, was the front runner for our new family truckster. But I think I'm going to hold on until the Ford Transit Wagon comes out. I'd like to see what the diesel has in store for mileage. I was resigned to the fact that I would just get abysmal mileage. It's big truck, square, with a large frontal area. Can't do much about that. But the Ford 3.2L diesel may hold some promise for mileage. But time will tell. Not a lot of info is available for the Transit Wagon yet.

There is an interesting post regarding fuel consumption on www. sportsmobileforum.com for Sprinters (16-19 mpg) that probably can be applied to all vans. Basically, drive your automatic like a stick shift and keep the rpms at 2500-3200. With heavy loads the computer upshifts way to early and downshifts too late. Also a steady foot on the throttle can lead to increased fuel flow until it downshifts. Seems counterintuitive to me.

It took a long time for me to try the D4-1 button on the end of the column shifter. It works great, and we use it all the time on narrow, twisting and steep roads. The commercial manager at Dublin Nissan said this was more fuel efficient than leaving it in D and letting your foot, brakes or more likely the computer make the decisions.

I have a V6 low roof loaded with 6 people and I get 18 on the highway easy, about 15-16 around town. I divide gallons into mileage so no computers to bother with.

2013 NV Passenger SL. Avg 12.5 mpg with mixed 70/30 city/hwy driving in 1st 1000 miles... Looking into options to better this.

Edited by Fazed

My first post ....

I test drove a new 2013 NV3500 low top passenger SL yesterday. Love the way it drives and all the features.

I would prefer to have the option of the Cloth seats But to get them I would have to give up all the other features the SL offers.

My planed use is to tow our '69 Airstream 25' Tradewind and leave the second row of seats in and remove and store the rest this would give us plenty of room for gear and toys.

Well the test drive was great I pulled our Airstream over hill and dale on the interstate and backroads . Plenty of power, handled  great. Would make a great tow vehicle,

Except for one painful thing , it loves gasoline !

So on to plan B !

Today we test drove over the same route with the Airstream and bought a 2014 Toyota Tundra Quad Cab SR5 V8 :) It tows the Airstream even better . Hopefully it will get much better MPG then the NV.

Here's a couple of pic's on the test drives. BTW the Airstream is under construction at this time and is gutted.

Time will tell and later this year after Labor Day I'll post the results in this thread.

post-730-0-99980200-1401249820_thumb.jpg

post-730-0-23182700-1401249834_thumb.jpg

Edited by GGs66GT

I came to the 2013 nv3500hd-sl from a honday odyssey ex-l. I knew I would be spending more on fuel but not that it would be as bad as it is.

I wish nissan had published mpg estimates especially between the v6 & v8. It really sucks that they force you into the v8 to get the leather seats.

I have been tracking my fuelups with fuelly, I would love to see a sv with the v6 if anyone has one:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/nv3500/2013/tycho316/279982

You can see where I took a trip to florida and back to mo may(5-9) for all highway miles.

Snapshot of my most recent Highway trip. I'm using an obd2 bluetooth transmitter with the torque pro app on my Samsung note 10.1 tablet.

post-731-0-02450800-1403663201_thumb.png

2013 NV 2500 HD low roof cargo, 5.6L.  Just finished a 2500 mile trip from Norfolk, VA to northern Alabama, western Tennessee, central Alabama, Florida panhandle, back through Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, back to Norfolk.  Great handling, very good vehicle, plenty of room for two persons and three dogs in their crates.  The Norfolk to western Tennessee was through the southern Appalachians, very hilly :-).  Mileage, after 4500 miles (total van miles) is 14.15.  Best mileage on the superslab, cruise control, averaging 65 mph - 17.5 mpg.  Worst through the mountains of western Virginia, averaging 35, no cruise - 14.25.  Overall, very satisfied with the vehicle.  We tow a horse trailer on occasion.  With the dogs, horses, trailer, etc, GVW is 13,360 (actually measured on CAT scales), mpg was 10.5.  Truck weight was 6,860, and trailer weight was about 6,500.  Should see an increase in non-towing mileage as more miles accumulate on the vehicle.

Posted this on another mpg thread here, thought I'd weigh in: 

First semi-long trip in our 3500NV Sl v8 from Decatur Alabama to Birmingham Childrens Hospital,, thingy on the dash (Ultra Guage) says average mpg 24-25,, actual calculated after fill up 15mpg.. all passenger seats removed except one bench where she is seated,this is so her  wheelchair and accesories will fit and loaded with groceries coming back,, 65mph average speed on interstate, very little driving down town.. 194 miles on the odometer thus far... We love our NV.. :shift:

Edited by BamaNV