Dadof6

Beep after stopping at a stoplight

Wow, yours is way worse than mine!  Mine randomly beeps but just once, maybe twice.  Dry, wet, doesnt matter but it will beep.  That would drive me insane!  I assume if you turn them off with the switch it stops the beeps?!

Sorry to hear about your problems, but its no surprise to me either. You've gotten much farther with the dealer and customer service than I have.

Now that you have them on the hook for a new van, and they have corporate coming out to see it, let us know what they do. This has been a well talked about issue with this van.

My 7 year old sprinter doesn't do it nor does my 2 year old traverse. Only my 6 month old NV cargo does this.

Keep us posted and thanks for the video proof.

Rick

Edited by RICK

Mental chipmunk: "When is a bumper not a bumper?" Answer: "When it has parking sensors." Rebuttal: "I don't think so."

Source: Future engineers.

Our rear sensors don't like shadows and backing down curb cuts. Since we don't normally drive around in reverse, it is not that big a deal. But, if I had the option of deleting this when ordering a NV, I would. It is too costly to replace... or annoying if you have the 100k warranty. Actually, now that I've thought about it, I replaced the sensor under warranty and still paid for it.

A very early post pointed out that the front bumper gap near the wheel well is more than under the grill. Our's is this way. Could the angle of the bumper or sensors cause them to malfunction; that is, see chipmunks when there is no chipmunk. "I don't think so."

Interesting that you had the worst type of experience with the service manager, but a better experience when the GM took the action of replacing your van, even though it did nothing to resolve the problem. (This is what I meant in another topic when I said "too dealer dependent." Each dealer handles issues independently and inconsistently. There should be Nissan policy, particularly for warranty issues.) I see a recall in the future.

Edited by radin2son

I've never tried but what happens if you disconnect the sensors?  I thought I read you make the ECU mad and get error codes thrown or idiot lights will go on.  Wish the NV had more circulation out there, I am sure an electrical guy could come up with some resistors or diodes we could wire in place of the sensor (maybe) to fool the ECU into thinking everything is good.  Either that or rig the switch inside the van to always be active but I would guess that is just a momentary switch that sends a signal to the ECU to turn them off.

Edited by ASD Dad

ASD Dad, I think an on/off switch, like the inverter, tow mode etc, will be the eventual recall solution for NVs with front sensors. Every NVP owner, however, will have to make a case with the dealer, rep and customer service. What a precedent, a new van with the same "minor" problem. (Amazing that they put front sensors on the new Titan.)

Someone earlier mentioned sensors don't work well when dirty. Haven't noticed this is with the rear sensors, but maybe they don't get as dirty as the doors from back spray. If our van had front sensors, they would be covered with dead bugs like the rest of the front end.

This is DanD's wife.  Nissan corporate was out this morning and took our van for a week to try and come up with a solution.  The Nissan engineer and tech say that won't leave until it's resolved (our hopes aren't high for this!!).  They are also looking into the passenger seatbelt light coming back on every time you put the car in park.  The owner's manual has conflicting info. 

I would urge everyone to contact Nissan Customer Support (the commercial vehicle line) and open a case so they know more and more vehicles have this issue.  We have shared with them that this is more than just our van doing this, so hopefully they see this is a bigger issue than they believe it is. 

Nissan Commercial Vehicles Consumer Affairs and Roadside Assistance
Phone: (877) NIS-NCV1 (or 877-647-6281)

Monday through Friday:
7:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Central Time

We've had the navigation system replaced, all four front sensors replaced, error codes reproduced (although, they don't know what the error codes mean because the manual hasn't been updated! Good grief!), etc.

We've been told it's an "idle warning" (meaning you're sitting idle too long) among other things by the Service Manager and I wonder if they truly believe people are that stupid.

Carrie

It is important to get your NV at a great price, but not as important as finding a competent service department that will service your NV for 5 years or possibly as long as you own it. This includes the service adviser who greets you, the tech who works on your NV and the service manager. (Find a good service department, post it; we need to know.) When you get stonewalled, treated poorly, or the problem is not fixed, Get the GM involved as Carrie and her husband did. (I love the video and voice that said "Sue" them, with parental correction, the Ford Transit rental...to say nothing of the van replacement.) Depending on results, or maybe irregardless of results, we need to contact Nissan Consumer Affairs. (I doubt the front sonar will be solved at the dealer level.) In the interim, open a case as Carrie suggests, so they know this is a common, ongoing problem. It is the only way to get it recalled.

Carrie, I have the same seatbelt issues with both the passenger and more importantly the drivers. I've opened a case only to be frustrated by the fact that don't return calls and have gone through 2 more so called reps. I'm on my 3rd rep and waiting to take my van into service so they can redocument the same findings and reorder the same parts. Yes my nav and bluetooth also suck along with the poor mpg.

Problem is without my work truck/ NV, I loose over 1000.00 a day in lost income. It's not like my other passenger vehicles that they can keep for a week without an issue. And its not like they are going to give me a loaner van and transfer everything over including the shelving they had installed.

Try telling your employer that you won't be in this week due to new car issues, most would be looking for a new job.

Glad to see you're activily pursuing them and will get a fix. Keep us posted so that I we can follow from your lead. I've wasted countless hours on the phone and a days pay just to get air put in the tires. Nothing else they addressed or fixed.

Rick

Nissan decided last week that they wanted our van back before we left on vacation so the engineer could have "unlimited time" with our van.  After a mad scramble to find us a suitible rental van (15 passenger Chevy), the engineer met me at our house the day we were leaving for vacation(since I had 5 kids in tow) and we went over the issues.  We discussed the beeping, I showed him NUMEROUS videos, and we also discussed the passenger seatbelt light coming back on when you put the van in park despite the manual stating it shouldn't go on.  There is a whole NEW section in the 2015 manual addressing this ( http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/media/pdf/2014-nv-passenger-owner-manual.pdf Page 1-22, since I can't figure out how to get a picture of it in here).  He promised me he wasn't leaving until he found solutions tothe issues. 

Almost a week goes by and my husband, Dan, calls the dealership.  Found out, the engineer wasn't even there for one full day, deemed the issue to be a bracket on the license plate holder and left.  They removed the bracket, drove it "extensively" that day, and it didn't beep, so he left.  Didn't come back til the following Tuesday, when we were home from vacation and supposed to pick up our van.  The engineer came back, they test drove the vehicle and IT BEEPED AGAIN.

So, we still have the crappy rental.  They still have our van and absolutely NOTHING is being done while they "investigate further".  Nissan rep has started buy back paperwork and proceedings with Nissan Corporate.  Dan told them we wil accept nothing less than FULL PRICE as an offer since this new van has only been driven for a little over a week, and we told them of the beeping THE DAY AFTER we bought it.  We should be hearing back on arbitration either Monday or Tuesday.

We were told there is another vehicle in California having the same issue, so the two engineers are working on the problems. Still nothing.

At this point, we are stuck with what to do.  We don't like the other 12 passenger vans out there (Chevy, Ford, Mercedes), we've been test driving the new Ford and Mercedes.  We had a 12 passenger Chevy and it was awful - awful ride, awful reliability, awful.  We really like the NV except for the beeping and the seatbelt issue. Wish they'd issue a recall and figure out what the hell is wrong.

If you have the SL, can you step down to the SV to avoid the front sensors altogether? What else would you be giving up that is standard on the SL. If this is possible, order a SV with all the options to get it as close as possible to your SL but have Nissan eat the options cost and a NVP rental until your new one arrives. Good luck on this and thanks for taking the time to document it.

Seems to me that with the number of documented problems on this forum, Nissan is looking at a recall. Maybe the fix is to delete it all together and install a new bumper with fog lights minus the sensor holes.

The next recall will be the check engine sensors...

I also have the seat belt issue too when shifting from drive into park or neutral. Plus I still have the drivers seat belt issue too.

Today my electric locks with the key fob stopped working altogether. As if the battery died. Took out the battery and put it back together and it still wasn't working. Then later it came back alive.

Can't imangine a dead key fob battery in 8 months and 3700 miles.

Rick.

Mine beeps but nowhere near that bad. Did it a few times today but it's just a few times a day and nothing like those vids.

What's wrong with the engine sensors?

It's emissions sensors that have frequently shown up in posts for the past couple ot years and as recently as last week. Whatever sensor triggers the check engine light sometimes goes off after a few days/# of engine starts and other times it stays on. Great if under warranty, but expensive fix if not.

I would say this, seat belts, getting out of park and front sensors are the most frequently posted problems. At least the first 3 have not resulted in a buy back, or it 2 buy backs?

You would think front sensors would be speed sensitive; that is, only function at "parking" speed. What other function is needed? Stop and go traffic, red lights...

Edited by radin2son

RAdin2son, if we step down to the SV, you drop down from a V8 to a V6, no leather seats and the front sonar.  Since I am a mom and do a lot of carpooling and parking and waiting around lots of kids, I like having the front sonar, especially since I can't see over the hood to see smaller cars in front of me (when parking, etc)

Carrie - the SV is definitely available with a V8.  You can get either motor with that trim level.  You are correct about the rest of it.

I cant believe they dont know what is going on, it is also odd that you have had two in a row that do it.  I know there are a few complaints on here but you would think we would all be complaining if it was as bad as your video shows!  Mine just do a single or possible double beep now and then.  If mine were beeping like yours they would have been ripped out long ago...

Carrie, It was an off the wall suggestion, and you bought the SL for what it offered. A better alternative may be to defer the buy back, keep your van, live with the beeps (can you disable it like the rear sonar every time you drive?) and enjoy it over the Chevy. Let the engineers work on the problem, just not on your present van. They have the first one to work with.

ASD Dad, I think the problem is far more wide spread by %, or there wouldn't be 2 buy backs and another NVP in CA they are working on. Keep in mind the number of NVPs being built/sold. Per Chris_cm's estimate, it is 20 cargo for every NVP. SL may be a very small number. You are a vocal group, however...

Edited by radin2son

Assuming the sensors are not the problem and there is only one way to install them on the front bumper, it could be as simple as only one variable. The way the bumper is attached to the frame. My bumper was installed with a slight tilt up (larger gap at the edge of the wheel well). If installed with the same gap all around, the sonar may work as intended. If the bumper is pointed down, the sonar may be hypersensitive to varying degrees.

There may be enough SL owners who can measure this, particularly owners who have no problems with the front sonar. Are there any?

This is at least as good idea as the cause being the license bracket bolts. Next, the engineers will say it is the tow hooks or their shadow. Could be...

Mine has a larger gap at the wheel well so it tilts up.  I thought it was a factory defect until I looked at others on the lot.  All the same!  No clue why it is like that on purpose, doesnt look right and I noticed it when picking the van up.  

ASD Dad, It would be interesting to see what the wheel well gap is on the SL's owned by Carrie, Kodos and Carls1973. (The gap may not be sloppy work; rather, it may be the only way they could mount the bumper.) It may not take too many mm to throw the sonar off.

Well, we still don't have our van to check that right now.  But, if we can all come up with these ideas, I don't really understand why the engineers can't be looking at some of these things (and, given the track record here, I'm betting they haven't!!).

Nissan's arbitration offer came back and they want more time for the engineers to try to solve the problem.  At this point, they are paying $1375 a week to give me a 12 passenger rental ( a Chevy Express from Enterprise) to drive, and we are on our 3rd week.  Not a cheap fix for them by any means, considering the engineers still had no clue as of Monday.  It's not an ideal sitatuion for us, as we'd really like our NV back and FIXED, but it's their money, not ours. Haven't heard from the dealer in over a week.  Only the Nissan Rep who has our case.  No big shock there.  The funny thing is, they wanted US to front the money for the rental (which is currently over $3,000!!) and I told them not a chance in hell would we be willing to do that.

Still waiting and praying and hoping they figure it out. 

Carrie

Carrie, Hang in there. You are doing the right thing.

Wish the other NVP SL owners on this forum would post whether or not they have any problems with the sonar to get some idea how many are having a problem. They can also just eye ball the bumper gap to see if there are any variations...

Just made a poll in a new thread. Vote if you want results!

At this point, we are too far in to stop now.  Hopefully, we get a good resolution for everyone with this problem! 

ASD Dad, Great idea to do a poll.

There is a cargo SL, but it really is the old SV. NO FRONT SONAR. No idea why Nissan Commercial wasted assembly line space on a third level. The "new" SV has black bumpers and grill (not a bad look) and upgrades over the S.

Nissan called yesterday - here are the details:

1.  They think that the sensors are going off due to the license plate frame. 

2.  They removed the frame but they have to keep the plate on the front becase it it law in our state.

3.  The sensor still been occasionally because if the license plate moves a millimeter from anything, then the sensor will catch it.

4.  They indicated there is a flaw in the design of the front bumper - it likely needs a recessed area for the license plate to sit.

They are giving us our vehicle back today with this as a known issue.  They have to go back to their engineering design team to fix the flaw.  To me, this means they need to redesign the bumper - not a quick fix by any means - likely months.

The customer service rep is going to back to the buyback team again to see if they want to purchase our vechicle back - we should hear back in approximately a week.   We're not sure what we're going to do at this point - we looked at the other reasonable vehicles in the marketplace (Ford - truly awful, Mercedes - way too expensive to even look at) and are not fans.  I know they won't be able to provide a timeframe to fix the issue.

I'm curious to see if the 2016 model has this fixed...