I'm looking to get a roof rack for the NV passenger.  I want something that would hold luggage or other totes when traveling long distances to free up room in the interior.  Are there different options?  Maybe even DIY?

If you have the ability / resources, then DIY it --- I've been 14 laps around the entire web and can't find a rack to fit an NV that does not look like it belongs on a tradesman work truck. No way I'm having that stuff riding around on my "leisure vehicle", so I pulled out some square tube form the shop, measured out  the mount tabs on the roof and began a plan -- not built yet, but has to be finished soon, since spring is coming and the extra stuff / canoes will need a place to ride for the trips.  I ordered this stuff to make tie down easy   http://www.coretiedowns.com/product/tie-down-solutions

Thanks for the information.  I don't know how to weld but nuts and bolts with lock washers should be nearly ass effective if I do decide to make my own.  I was brainstorming and thinking of square tube as well and since I would be using the rack for coolers, luggage bags, and totes etc.  I was pondering the idea of an expandable rack,  by which I mean when not in use the rack is low profile and when you want to use it for luggage you can drop walls into place (think of a stake body truck).  I also had the idea of instead of separate walls, walls that are on a hinge and fold down flat when not in use.

Another issue is getting stuff onto the roof of this 7 foot beast.  I did find a ladder for the rear door, but I'm not sure if it requires drilling (I hate making holes into my shiny new toy) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0240973895  (I sent an email and asked if there is any drilling needed)

I was also thinking I could make my own ladder and have it hook onto the roof rack with a hook and the base of the ladder would stand on the entrance of the side door when it was open, that way you wouldn't have to worry about the ladder hitting any paint

Is there a big difference between 304 stainless steel and 316?  In other words is it worth the price increase for 316 or is 304 pretty much outdoor weather proof?

I can almost guarantee you that the Surco ladder would require drilling the door to mount. 

I'm not aware of much difference in stainless hardware - 304 / 316 - I'm not aware that it would matter, but you could check on the grade strength and see which is better.

I am also  going for very low profile and making mine out of 2" square tube for the side rails with just enough spacing bellow them to allow the cross bars to  stay off the roof when loaded with weight (I'm sure they will flex slightly).

I git the tie down track this week, but won't get serious about this for a couple  WE's due to family stuff happening.

Click on photo gallery, Sdiesel has a shot of a passenger with a roof rack there. Like to find out where he got it from too.

Click on photo gallery, Sdiesel has a shot of a passenger with a roof rack there. Like to find out where he got it from too.

Aluminess racks -- very nice if you want drop 1500 bucks or more onto the roof of your van.

Aluminess is nice looking but 1,500 seems excessive for what it is.  Maybe I'll switch to aluminum square tubing which is also fairly corrosion resistant. Amazonsupply.com is great for checking out prices and they have a great selection.

heavy metal doctor I'm assuming you are using square steel tubing and then powder coating or bedliner to resist corrosion?

I got serious about building my rack today:

Here's the tie down track detail -- 44  1/4-20 holes drilled and tapped - I want to get stainless  screws incase it ever has to be worked on again (track came with cheap steel screws that will rust):

Trackdetail_zpsbcdf73f5.jpg

10 foot side rails:

DSCN1678-1_zpsac4b01ee.jpg

I mounted feet to all mounting points - maybe overkill:

DSCN1681-1_zps0a62a2a6.jpg

Fab work complete:

DSCN1684-1_zps11c73bc6.jpg

DSCN1686-1_zps4b362d46.jpg

I put 1" cross bars at, or close to, every mounting and set back 2" from the ends just in case there's ever a reason to loop a strap around the end of the side rail.

I have to pull it back off to paint it and assemble tie down track. I decided to go get some of the DIY bed liner type paint for a rubbery / wrinkle kinda finish to blend in to the black van .

There is a bit of wind noise that gets really noticeable at 75, but it's not bad at 60 / 65 MPH where it will be held while towing (most often use).

looks very cool, herculiner works well but it will loose it's gloss over time unless you apply that other product they sell to make it shiny again.

Looks really nice.  Did you put some time of cushion between the rack and the mounting points?  So you don't rub the paint off the mounting points and start to have  a rust problem.  But if you herculined the whole thing I'm sure that would be cushion enough.  I want to make something similar but I also want to put expanded metal or enough cross bars that I can walk on the roof when moving luggage around. Very cool

Did you use herculiner or a different product?

Yeah, it is Hurculiner and a good thick layer on the mounting feet seemed like enough cushion there. Took me a good bit more time than I expected to get that stuff painted on.   I had some rubber handy to use for the feet, but decided the coating seemed thick enough when it came time to set it on the roof.

As for putting a floor on the rack: I can stand on the cross bars with very little flex (and I'm well over 200lbs), so one or 2 more would be enough to use with an expanded metal if you wanted to build it that way for it's whole length. As this one is, it seems enough now that a reasonable sheet of plywood or some solid sheet metal would be enough for luggage purposes where the pounds per square foot of space is not too high. The cross bars are closer together at the rear 3 feet or so of the rack as I figured I'd be inclined to make a pile of luggage in that area only, if I ever use it that way.

I have a guy that I see for service.  Whenever I see him again I will try to take a picture of his rack.  He did a homemade with aluminum tubing and just left it raw...looks realy nice and is very simple.

I carry a variety of things on my low roof 2500.  I mounted full-size Kindorf (the stuff electricians use to mount conduit, etc to walls and ceilings) with 5/16" stainless steel fasteners (regular hex nuts and bolts).  I use the 5/16" square drop-in nuts and bolts (found where ever you buy your channel - Lowes, HD, etc) to attach the "accessories" to the Kindorf.  Using these nuts, you don't have to unthread the bolts completely.  Unscrew the bolt, the nut turns 90* and can be pulled out of the channel.  With this system, I can mount anything almost anywhere on the channel, and remove it quickly.  HERVan

NVChattanooga,

When I attempted to build off the Yakima website, they left me at a dead end.  I read your separate post about your success.  Must be Yakima doesn't know it works for the NV3500 P yet?

I contacted Yakima and received the official reply below.  When I tallied the price for the whole kit to carry 4 bikes on 4 bars, I was aghast, $2200.  I'll probably go another route.

Our technicians are still working on an official rack solution for the NV3500.  I have added your email address to our list of customers interested in a rack for the vehicle, you will receive an automated email once we are done. 

You can see Landing Pad 1 on our website here: https://www.yakima.com/landing-pad-1

Of course, we can not officially recommend the use of this set-up until our technicians are finished with their evaluation.

We are currently out of stock, but it is available from many of our dealers if you want to go that way.

I contacted Yakima and received the official reply below.  When I tallied the price for the whole kit to carry 4 bikes on 4 bars, I was aghast, $2200.  I'll probably go another route.

Our technicians are still working on an official rack solution for the NV3500.  I have added your email address to our list of customers interested in a rack for the vehicle, you will receive an automated email once we are done. 

You can see Landing Pad 1 on our website here: https://www.yakima.com/landing-pad-1

Of course, we can not officially recommend the use of this set-up until our technicians are finished with their evaluation.

We are currently out of stock, but it is available from many of our dealers if you want to go that way.

http://vantech.us/H3-for-Nissan-NV-Cargo-Van-2012-On_c153.htm

A few people have or had this rack on their NV and other than wind noise were happy.  You can get rid of the noise with the rope trick.  You can buy two, 2 bar systems for $500.  

Buy 4 Rockymounts trays - https://www.rei.com/product/800067/rocky-mounts-tierod-bike-mount- $500

$1000 all in.  You may need to do some more measuring and digging around to make sure the Rockymount will attach to the Vantech rails but there are lots of universal style bike racks.  The H3 has a slotted track system so maybe you can find a direct mount or slide a T-Bolt or similar down the channel to bold the tray on.  

Thanks for the tips.  I'm working through all these options.

Larry

I needed a temporary bike rack solution until I got my Aluminess rack, so I made one with Yakima parts I already had. I did a short write-up on my blog here:

https://www.doinggoodtoday.com/single-post/2017/03/05/DIY-Roof-Rack-for-Nissan-NV

It worked fine to haul ten bikes 600 miles with 40mph crosswinds.

Psyched, Did you replace your 06 Sprinter with a NV or were you test driving the rack mounts?

Looked at your Baja trip. Time to get the Mexico map out again.

radin2son - On Dec. 31st we bought an NV, then sold our Sprinter a few weeks later. I plan to do a write-up on it when I get the time. We just got back from an awesome trip to Moab and the San Rafael Swell after picking up the van from Advanced 4x4.

gallery_1440_81_1156143.jpg