tech97elec

TPMS RESET after rotating tires

2012 NV 2500..... decided to rotate tires, but TPMS reset, per owners manual doesnt work. Called nissan, they told me dealer has to do it.

I do all my own work and most other cars ive had, TPMS RESET WORKS! If u follow the manual, its crazy! Forces you to go through this wild gyration of steps that dont work. Im thinking there's a misprint or step or translation issue from Japanese to English?

Either way, everyone ive spoke to says dealer has to do it. I believe there's a way to do this without me paying, waiting, driving to dealer?

Anyone got the manuals version to work? I dont have time nor patience for dealer. Plus..... why should I have to pay for a routine reset? Crazy!

Any help appreciated. I am an electronics tech by trade.... seems like book is wrong? Or upgraded ECM fix? (Never been back to dealer for any updates)

Sorry I don't have an answer, but this is a good post.

I was just getting ready to make an appointment next week to get my tires rotated. (not at the dealership 60 miles away). Every vehicle I've owned you could reset it yourself. Can't believe Nissan would be that stupid! Hopefully someone else has a fix they can share.

Yeah.... if you wanna get dizzy.... read page 8-39. Even if it DID WORK..... wait 30 minutes w key on?

My dealer is hour away as well. Cant believe no one else is complaining. Just another way for dealer to make money, but on a van designed as commercial? Time is money.

(Sorry for starting 2 posts.)

Btw.... I did notice that while the MIL light is on, the pressure values displayed are correct, just reversed front to rear on each side.

I also just tried resetting the code with my ancient OBD2 reader and it did get rid of the MIL light, resetting it, but cant test drive it today to see if it stays off or not. If it does.... I can live with the reversed tire locations.... we'll see, but im guessing it will come right back on afyer driving it. Anyway, just trying for a work around. Ill post back.

I was wondering the same thing, if the OBD tool would get rid of the message. Even if the psi ratings are reversed at least you can live with it until the next time you have to go into the dealer.

Well..... once you drive it, the tire warn light comes back. But like I said the values are correct.

Any tire shop should be able to reset it for you. I had this done at an independent tire store.

Any tire shop should be able to reset it for you. I had this done at an independent tire store.

True enough but my point is we shouldn't have to pay to have it done. My other vehicles reset perfectly via a few button presses, just as this 2012 "should". I do all my own maintenance and oil changes and rotating tires shiuld NOT require special equipment to perform.

I still believe that there IS a procedure but the book is just wrong in telling you the steps to perform it properly.

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. We purchased a new 2013 Nissan NV 1500 van and just recently changed the wheels and tires to something different. Now we can't get the TPMS system to read the new tire pressures. Nissan dealer says the computer is factory set to read 50 psi front and 80 psi in the rear. The new tires are 50 psi max. When i put 50 psi all around, the front was reset but the warning still came up on the rear ones. Nissan says there is no way to reprogram the computer to match anything else. Is this correct? We are using the original sensors from the OEM tires and wheels. We were told by the wheel and tire dealer that this would work. 

Wheels are American Racing AR901, 18x165, offset 20 and tires are Toyo Versado CUV 265/60VR18 All season.

Short of trying to find the right wire and cutting it, we aren't sure what to do or where to go. Any ideas?

Had 30,000 mile service with tire rotation by NIssan NV dealer in Tucson just prior to starting a long trip. Thought rear tires looked low but TPSM said it was 75/77 psi. Still thought they look low and again TPMS said "no problem." This morning at Natural Bridges National Monument, UT, in the middle of nowhere, I checked the pressure with a cycling floor pump. 80 psi in the front and 50 psi in the rear. They rotated the tires but didn't adjust the pressure or reset the TPMS. Incompetent and dangerous!

I used my floor pump to pump the rear tires. A ranger stopped to say he didn't know you could pump a tire by hand. My comment to him was he was to young to know.

Took it to Favory Tire in Moab, who tried to reset the TPMS by the manual and by a printout he pulled up. Neither worked. PSI is fine but TPMS keeps telling me to check the pressure. We came up with a solution, rotate the tires back or worse take the tires off the rims to rotate them Decided to wait and go to one of two non-NV Nissan dealers in Rock Spring, WY to see if they can reset the TPMS. Stock rims and tires.

Nissan moderator. Are you listening? NVs are not just city vehicles. What were you thinking when you set this up? 5 minutes at a Nissan dealership versus 30 minutes + in a bay at a tire shop snd it doesn't work. The owner of Tire Factory stopped what he was doing to try and help me. He told he can't afford to tie up a bay for this.

Regarding the dangerous tire pressure, I'm waiting for a response from Jim Click.

Edited by radin2son

+1,

very anowing!

Nissan, please get proper info to owners for this issue. I've been trying to fix that for 2 years now. I will not pay for that. Reading your own safety stuff in the owner's book: "it is the driver responsibility to ensure proper inflation of the tires!" We paid for those device to assume our responsibility, do your part and get them at work finally,...not for 6 months at a time plus fees. This is not a cell phone or other electronic gimmics, we are not supposed to sign a bi-annual contract to make it work.

+1,

very anowing!

Nissan, please get proper info to owners for this issue. I've been trying to fix that for 2 years now. I will not pay for that. Reading your own safety stuff in the owner's book: "it is the driver responsibility to ensure proper inflation of the tires!" We paid for those device to assume our responsibility, do your part and get them at work finally,...not for 6 months at a time plus fees. This is not a cell phone or other electronic gimmics, we are not supposed to sign a bi-annual contract to make it work.

Yes! Lets get this moving. It states in the manual that it can be done, but very vague.... I called Nissan Commercial Support and a young girl answered. She was very polite but clueless at to anything I was talking about. When I asked to speak to an engineer or techy person, she told me there was no one else that could help.

If Nissan wants to seriously fet into the commercial van business they have to understand that most of us change our own oil.... belts .... hoses.... etc. We certainly would want to be able to rotate tires wo a trip to a dealer! I do not have time (hellooooo "commercial van") to sit in a dealership waiting for a plug to be connected. .. then billed $100 or more to reset an idiot light!

Even if it was FREE.... I dont wanna visit the dealer.

Its in the owner's manual that it can be done. CLARIFY IT... tell us what mistakes there were in the print.... or provide a free firmware upgrade that does fix it.

Is there anyone on this site that has a Nissan contact? Is the moderator capable of contacting Nissan?

Chris Brower, the Executive Manager of Brower Nissan, not a NV dealer, in Rock Springs, WY, listened to my tale, had me pull in and set about resetting the TPMS and recheck the tire pressure. In, out and no charge. Thank you, Chris.

No word from Jim Click Nissan, the NV dealership responsible for this screw up. My wife described this best. We are not school teachers and we should not have to check Nissan's work!

I'll go one step further. This is a real safety issue. One or the other incompetent behavior would have been detected. Not both! When I looked at the dash reading, while moving at more than 16 mph, I saw 75 and 77 psi. I didn't see LF or LR. Who would expect 80 psi in the front? This is a serious accident waiting to happen. I plan to send the email I sent the dealer to Nissan and NHTSA along with the dealer response if I get one. I probably will get a call but I can get around that with an email clarifying our phone call.

I agree Nissan needs to fix this for tire shops and for people who do their own maintenance.

There is a Nissan monitor who has submitted at least 2 posts. Wonder if or how he will respond? If Nissan expects only positive chit chat, they are wrong.

"I'll go one step further. This is a real safety issue. One or the other incompetent behavior would have been detected. Not both! When I looked at the dash reading, while moving at more than 16 mph, I saw 75 and 77 psi. I didn't see LF or LR. Who would expect 80 psi in the front? This is a serious accident waiting to happen. I plan to send the email I sent the dealer to Nissan and NHTSA along with the dealer response if I get one. I probably will get a call but I can get around that with an email clarifying our phone call. "

I agree this is a safety issue, especially if you tow a trailer. Correct tire pressure is important.

Come on Nissan what are you waiting for?

Well I've been waiting to see if there would be a resolution to this issue before rotating my tires. Finally had it done yesterday at a local tire chain store.

It took them awhile to get the TPM to reset but they got it done successfully. I was afraid to ask how they did it since I thought I might get the dreaded alert a day or two later. So far so good.

I think I may have solved this TPMS issue -- I played around with the settings in the dash readout and managed (without trying to) mixxup the whole TPMS so it does not even try to give me any readings.....no warnings / no nothing -- it doesn't bother me as I just use the old tire maintenance methods of a hand held gauge and check manually / keep an eye on it myself. 

Wow. Sure what like to know what you did.... accidently.

Does that mean the yellow tire light is off?

I can't believe Nissan can't help us with this?

Correct the owners manual!

Well I've been waiting to see if there would be a resolution to this issue before rotating my tires. Finally had it done yesterday at a local tire chain store.

It took them awhile to get the TPM to reset but they got it done successfully. I was afraid to ask how they did it since I thought I might get the dreaded alert a day or two later. So far so good.

There are aftermarket TPMS readers that can be purchased.... they work on most cars.... Mcs.... etc.

They're expensive.... Over a $1000.

Returned from our 3 week trip, but heard nothing from Jim Click Nissan until I forwarded my email to the general manager. He responded immediately and cc'd the service manager to take care of this. The response from the service manager was a brush off email not an apology or offer to check the van to confirm that the rest of the service was done correctly. He has not answered my response which I sent 2 days ago. The end result is ongoing.

In the meantime, I filed a complaint with Nissan and filed a safety related complaint with NHTSA. I don't have any expectations except there is a report filed. Next up is BBB in Tucson.

On a more positive note, I think there should be a "Good Nissan Dealer/Service" topic where we can post and look up dealers/service in the event we are in the area.

Edited by radin2son

TPSM update. Jim Click Nissan will redo the 30000 mile service, fix the glove box latch (see other post) and try to find/fix the reason for the check engine light that comes on intermittently and loose gas cap notice that comes on less frequently. No word yet from Nissan or NHTSA.

7/1 Nissan Consumer Services (615-725-7000 or 7144 to speak with Chris about this) contacted me by phone to discuss the TPMS issue. I'm not sure he fully understood the severity of the double error on the part of the tech or the problem resetting it, particularly if no Nissan dealers are in the area and tire shops have trouble with it. He indicated he was taking notes and would pass the info to the engineers. He did no know if other manufacturers use the same system. Anyone know?

7/5 NHTSA listed the safety report on their web site, but it probably will go no further. This is the only report for NVs. If Nissan uses the same TPMS for all vehicles, there may be similar reports for Titans, Frontiers and Quest (?) vans if there is a significant psi difference. I doubt this is a problem for other Nissans as psi tends to be the same, front and back. It probably goes unnoticed.

7/16 30,000 mi service redone to include the 35,000 oil change. Service manager and I went over all issues that have come up since we took ownership. This included the check engine light, loose gas cap warning, left rear door latch (enables the door to fold along the left side), got stuck inside the door, the broken glove box latch, and the sliding door track, which he found, that gets slightly hung up when fully opened. Only the check engine light was not completely resolved, as no code was recorded. The gas cap was replaced, so this may be the check engine. If not, he is willing to continue the search for the cause.

Edited by radin2son

Howdy,

I'm new to this forum, but have been a mechanic doing all my own work for more than 35 years.  My NV2500 is three years old.  I consider Nissan's TPMS and their dealers' handling of it an abomination.

At Michael Jordan Nissan in Durham, NC (where we bought the van), they would charge an extra ~$40 to reset the TPMS when the tires were balanced an rotated.  But they didn't do it.  They also didn't adjust the tire pressures from front to rear; they'd just swap 'em and pay not attention.  After that, obviously I wouldn't let these people clean up after my dogs.  (These are the same people who tell you the oil and filter have to be changed at 3700 mile intervals.  Blatant selling of unnecessary service.)

Then I took the van to a nearby tire store where I've done other business with trucks.  These guys put the rears on the fronts at 80 psi, then put the front on the rears and aired them up to 80 psi.  I guess that's one way to keep the TPMS from reporting an error.  I discovered this on a routine tire pressure check, because I have no use for the blasted TPMS and maintain my tires the old way.  Which works and is reliable.  But now the stupid thing keeps reporting errors -- that there is only 50 psi in the rear tires, which are of course now on the front.

There's got to be a way to zap the TPMS and make it re-learn the tire locations.  Believe it or not I have other things to do, but since no easy answer is available I'll look into and see if something can't be figured out.  Will report here if I get anywhere with it.

-Ranch Hand

Well..... I look at it this way..... now...... every other year or so the TPMS light will go off when I rotate the tires back to their original locations.

Wonder how long the yellow warning light will last till it burns out?

I have rotated my tires in my 2013 NV passenger van 3 times in the 1 1/2 that I have had it.  It is a bit of a pain and takes some time but I have never had a problem resetting the TPMS.  I don't have the manual in front of me but the process seems pretty straight forward (albeit more complex than it should be)

1. Rotate your tires

2. Fill all tires up to at least 10 or 20 lbs above the numbers below

3. Reduce tire pressure to LF=25, RF=40, LR=80, RR=60

4. On the dash, set the computer to TPMS Relearn

5. Wait for the chimes

6. Put the correct amount of air in the tires and you are done

I have never had a problem but maybe this is something they fixed in 2013.

When the manual and printed out instructions the tire shop in Moab pulled up from Nissan were tried, it never chimed. The process was repeated and repeated.

Nissan Commercial brags about their lack of warranty issues for the NV, so why use the TPMS that is overly complicated to reset?

Nissan Commercial also has targeted small businesses, not fleet buyers, so why make simple tire maintenance so annoying and expensive?