Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

Smart phone and Tablet use in cold and/or no service areas

In the last 2 months we have camped in the same no service campground in a canyon. The first time I left my iPhone on, only turning it off when we called it a day; otherwise, it lost all power due to it being cold (30*). We used one phone for a camera and a second older phone for gps (runkeeper). No battery half way through our hike.

I spoke with a friend who told me to put it on airplane mode to stop it from constantly searching for a signal (wifi was off). On the second camping trip, I tried it and didn't have to charge the camera/phone at all the 3+ days we were there. We didn't bother with gps because we were familiar with the area. At night, I keep the phone in the bin (slightly warmer?) rather than next to the cup holder. Seemed to work.

If you already knew this, great. If not, hope it helps.

Realize airplane mode will not accept calls, texts or emails. It will let you play games and take photos. Might as well keep it off until you need it as its just burning up power looking for a signal that doesn't exsist.

Why not keep it plugged into the usb or lighter if you have your van there? Plus they sell usb backup batteries that work great for charging and extending the life of a phone. Especially on phones with non removeable batteries. Same applies to tablets or gps units working on usb power cords.

Rick.

I realize my suggestion has a very limited application for most and limits me to taking photos while hiking in no service areas. (Not a problem for most of the country.)

You could turn the phone off and only turn it on to take photos, but this is a very slow process.

When we are in or near our NV, there is no need to turn it off. It can search all it wants and be charge the ways you mentioned. Plus, when we exit the no zone, all that email, forums etc will be waiting for us.