Sign in to follow this  
NVChattanooga

Yakima Roof Racks

So, I was looking around for a suitable roof system to haul the various gear and equipment we normally carry. Typically between 2-6 Stand Up Paddleboards, 2-6 Bikes, Solar panel mounting points... the list goes on.

I looked at SEVERAL custom options before finally convincing the local outfitter to let me play around with their parts bins.

What I found was rather unexpected:

Thule didn't come close with their mounting equipment. Sad, because I love the look of their equipment.

Yakima actually had a system that was a DIRECT BOLT ON for the factory supplied mounting points! Now when I say direct bolt on I mean it does take a little patience but after you get the hang of it they fly on. Back mounts were far easier to fit in than front ones due to the grooves in the roof and the ability to pinch the bolt by hand under the screw.

http://www.yakima.com/shop/racksystems/permanent-installation/landing-pad-1

These fit perfectly! I choose this over the other options for several reasons. They were the most perfectly sized to match the factory mounting points. The bolts they come with were the shortest and therefore the best choice for the limited space below the factory mounting points. They also didn't have all that ancillary rubberized matting which was unnecessary again because of the "off the roof" status of the factory mounting points.

From there just get the control towers and you’re in business!

http://www.yakima.com/shop/racksystems/permanent-installation/control-tower

I went with the 86" bars to start but it turns out the end caps and pieces like the boat loader arm don't work with that size. I've since gone down to the 78" bars. Awesome results!

Remember the mounts are fixed and I don't think you could get anything less than the 66" bars on there. MAYBE the 58" bars but it would be close.

I got 4 bars and the Mega warrior rack with extensions. I will be getting a spare tire mount, high lift jack, and light mounting brackets down the road.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Sorry for the lousy pics. But you get the idea.

These are of the 86" bars

86" Yakima Bars

These show the mounting points for the Landing Pads

Yakima Landing Pad 1 attached to roof mounting points

This is the finished product with 78" bars

Finished Yakima 78" Bar install in forward position

As another update. I've decided to move the four bars to the rear four positions on the roof. There was a LOT of wind noise and this cut down on that significantly. I'm going to try adding a windscreen as well. But having the bar in the front position was really really loud.

Chatanooga, 

Can you tell me, are these landing pads the type you can leave on the van while removing the rack and control towers?  I had that on my old Honda Element and it was great.

Thanks!

x

Edited by Jerry

x

Edited by Jerry

Yes these are the kind that stay mounted and you can remove the towers and bars. SUPER convienent!

Thanks for the suggestion on wind noise. We have the basket with wind deflector setup now and it's working great.

I bought the same as likeskites. They work great and have a pretty good load capacity.

Is it unthinkable to get several adult sized bikes up there?  Do they make the hardware to do that?

I could easily carry 6 adult bikes on my rack but you have to remember the roof/rack is over 7 feet in the air.  We use Gorilla aluminum 3 step folding steps.  They are very light and fold flat so take up minimal space.  

My rack is a Topper Galvanized steel rack.  It is fairly cheap (around $450 online) and is huge.  It is 12 feet long for our low top vans and 10 feet for high roof vans.  Holds 450 lbs as stock or you can buy extra feet and it will support 750 lbs.  

We use ours to mainly carry 3 kayaks.  2 of them are very wide, 3 person sit on fishing kayaks.  The other is a kid kayak.  I modified the rack a little adding extra wide rungs to more easily load the boats on the outside edges.  If I had normal kayaks I could get them all on the main rack.  

Thanks.  Of course I'd love to see a picture of that.  While we are mainly a bike family, I do have a canoe and one kayak, with a need for 1 or 2 more.  My son was thrilled to learn you could put a 1/4 ton on the roof.  Loosing the truck bed for bikes may necessitate the bikes up high.  I also saw some one creatively suggest bolting a Reese hitch to the front where the tow hooks mount.  I'd like to see that capitalized on.

For the moment I'm on to determine how many bikes the Class I hitch can hold on the bumper of my travel trailer.  But I can't carry boats on that.

Thanks.  Of course I'd love to see a picture of that.  While we are mainly a bike family, I do have a canoe and one kayak, with a need for 1 or 2 more.  My son was thrilled to learn you could put a 1/4 ton on the roof.  Loosing the truck bed for bikes may necessitate the bikes up high.  I also saw some one creatively suggest bolting a Reese hitch to the front where the tow hooks mount.  I'd like to see that capitalized on.

For the moment I'm on to determine how many bikes the Class I hitch can hold on the bumper of my travel trailer.  But I can't carry boats on that.

http://nissannvforum.com/topic/1309-topper-roof-rack-galvanized-steel-mini-review/

I dont have photos of my bikes up there but you can get an idea of how they would mount.  There are plenty of cross bars to mount bike trays or any other bike rack.  

Be VERY careful mounting to your travel trailer bumper.  Most are not rated to hold any weight and even have warnings from the manufacturer to NOT mount bikes there.  I know many Forest River models have that warning.  The rack will literally twist the bumper right off the TT unless it is reinforced.  My in-laws camp a ton and their good friends lost their bikes somewhere in VA.  They pulled into a gas station and the rack was parallel to the ground, bumper was twisted almost off and they dragged their bikes straight off the rack!!  They were upset nobody flagged them down but it is that it is.  

If you have welding skills or a good local shop you can reinforce the bumper with some angle iron or channel and you'd be set.  That is what my in-laws did to their camper.  It is triangulated with the actual camper frame to the bumper.

I'm moving from CA to Texas, and am adding the Curt receiver which bolts or welds to the frame of the TT. Then you can slide in a bike rack or a cargo tray. I'll post pictures once I put it on next week.

ASD Dad,

I have a decent Class 1 hitch on the TT, but after a consult at RV.NET, I decided to scrap the idea.  My existing rack is 2" so an adapter would be needed.  Also, I think it will bounce too much.  I'm on to roof rack or front hitch on the NV.

Aabel, I'll look for your photos.

Larry

I averted a roof rack buy/build for now by building a 2" receiver for the front with a 4 bike hanging rack.  Then I obtained a class 1 tray-type 2-bike rack for the back of the camper.  6 bikes outside and one trailer on the inside.  Got me covered for now.  I'll come back to the roof rack when I need to move the canoe.

Larry

I'm thinking of selling my setup if anybody is interested!

Chris-

I don’t imagine it is still available. But if so let me know.