Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

NV SMB compared to Transit and ProMaster SMBs

Sportsmobile (SMB) has started converting Transits and ProMasters. Info below is based on SMB info and includes MSRP discount and options at cost.

Transit EBs start at $31K for the V6 with "standard" options. The V8 Eco Boost adds $1500, diesel $5100 and $2000 for typical options, back up camera etc. The camper conversion generally comes in at $40K +. You can easily add $10K to the build. Total package will run $71K+.

Promaster EB will start at $34K+ for the V6 with "standard" options. Diesel will add $3500 and $2000 for more options. The camper conversion comes in at $35K. (www.sportsmobile.com has price, photos and specs for a completed high top.) Total package will be $71K*+.

Sprinter SMBs fall into the $80-90K+ range. GM vans fall into the $70K+ range. It appears not that many GM vans have been converted to SMBs. Also, no mention of diesel or 4x4 for 2015 GMs.

Unfortunately, SMB provides very little info on NV SMBs. The camper conversion will add $35K+ to the price of the NV. (No info on dealer orders since the first 30 were built in 2012.) Did see one for sale at a NV dealer for $61K with 128 miles.

The quality of the builds will be the same for each van, so this is a wash.

If you use $65K+ for the NV SMB, it is the best value and probably the best all around van in the bunch. Unless you need an extended van, fwd or diesel, there is no reason to look elsewhere.

If you should come across a used NV SMB or any other SMB, the SMB forum's suggested pricing is market value for the van and 50% of the conversion cost. (50% for 4x4 as well.)

In 2012, we came across this video of a tour of Sportsmobile West. The only useable link I could find was on YouTube, Sportsmobile West tour, parts 1 and 2.

It is a "home style" video, so it starts and ends abruptly. Love his "ugliest van" comment, followed by "...it's a Nissan, so it must be reliable. Right?" The high top NV being built has a shower and portable toilet, so it is a custom build. The NVs available through dealerships were more basic.

When they made this video, SMB was still converting Ford E series vans, the majority to 4x4. The van and 4x4 conversion today starts at $90K.

The couple who made this video decided against a SMB and went with a "slide in" camper for a '08 Ram dually. They wanted a daily driver, off road, extended stay vehicle. Wonder if they got their trash compactor?

Edited by radin2son

This topic is dated regarding SMBs. We have only seen Fords Eseries and Sprinters.

We have,however, seen Transit and Ram conversions built by a variety of converters. Very few diy builds. In Organ Pipe NM in the site next to us was the tallest, longest Transit. Single guy about 2 months into his diy. The rear portion was his bedroom, reported 6' across and 4' wide, with cargo space underneath. A curtain closed this off and the living space was about the same as NVs. Cabinets, microwave, refrigerator on the passenger side. Rear cabinets and a couch on the driver side. No plans yet for water or bath. No windows as he intends to stealth camp most of the time. He chose the EcoBoost as he did not want another diesel. Really tight fit...

He was there part of a singles RV group (WINS) that planned to convoy into Mexico. 40 members were there but not all were venturing into Mexico. He decided not to when he found out that only liability insurance was available. WINS had another group event in AZ planned for later this month. Sounded like an interesting group for any singles on the forum.

On a 11 day trip in southern Utah, we saw 7 older poptop SMBs, 6 Fords and 1 Dodge (pre-Sprinter chassis). 5 Fords were the 4x4 variety.

The other Ford was 15 years old with over 170,000 miles. It was built at the Indiana SMB factory, where their new Transit is being built. They bought their Transit independently and have been waiting since February for it to be built.

No problems with their 15 year old Ford or with SMB. Their transit will be longer, but they no longer will be able to hang their spare tire on the left door. They will lose the under floor storage. Periodically, they wonder why they made this decision.

For those unfamiliar with SMB, they hold their value.

My question remains. Where are the NV conversions? Did see and meet the owner, also from Tucson, of a diy NV 200 conversion. Platform bed with storage underneath, 2 windows on the driver side and 1 on the passenger side.

SMB in Austin, TX has a slightly used (21000 mi) 2012 NV hightop listed for $47,450. For whatever reason, it is in Salt Lake City. Nice set up with solar, custom wheels with BFG KO2 tires. The only issue may be that it only sleeps 2, but it does seem to be a good price.

Don't know why it wasn't listed here. There are 2 other NV SMB owners who posted here long ago. One from California had one like ours and the other owner was in SLC.

If interested, go to www.sportsmobile.com and use the pull down menu to find preowned SMB Texas.

Looked at new inventory. Indiana and Texas have none,

SMB West have one Transit (have to call for a price) and 3 Chevy EB 3500 4x4 for $154,000 to $164,000. Looks to me like truck based is the way to go, but a Chevy at that price.

SMB no longer lists NVs as a van option. Base prices for Chevy ($34-38,000), Sprinter ($37-43,000), Promaster and Transit ($32-38,000).

The above 2012 NV SMB in SLC has been reduced $500 to $47,450.

Looks like SMB will no longer convert NVs even if you bring them your van. Their loss or mine if anything goes wrong with our conversion. Their 5 year warranty ends in September. So far nothing has gone wrong that required a trip to Fresno.

SMB West has an extended Transit cargo with ecoboost for $40k ready to build. As much as that added space would be nice, I wouldn't pay that much for a cargo van with rear and barn door glass.

In some ways the barn door is a good option for camper-vans. All sorts of things you can attach to them.

Further price reduction on the above 2012 NV hightop. Now $39,995. That is getting very close to the price of a van and DIY conversion.

The downside is it really only works for a family of 2.

The NV Sportsmobile sold. Hope they show on this forum. Even at just under $40k that was a great price for a conversion.

post-376-0-14564400-1503857468_thumb.jpg

That is pretty sweet looking.

That is awesome. If my wife was more open to a vehicle like that I'd be looking high and low for one. And I like the wheels.... Same wheel I chose.

30 of them out there, so plenty of time to convince your wife she really wants to camp in Telluride or drive to AK.

I rarely look at the Sportsmobile web site. Did follow this one.

Sportsmobile converts MB Metris and has one for sale for $74k+. Why and why does it cost so much?

No NV, but here's a look at other poptop versions:

Mercedes Metris. One sold for $77K+

Ford Transit. Somewhere around $80-90K

Mercedes Sprinter 4x4. "If you have to ask..."

post-376-0-01230600-1505847618_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-35838200-1505847636_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-91393900-1505847664_thumb.jpg

That Sprinter is a beast!

SMB west also converts Chevys. These run $100K+

post-376-0-89336600-1505858674_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-36079500-1505874276_thumb.jpg

Edited by radin2son

Saw a blog that millennials are getting into the campervan segment. I can understand dirtbag (their term) climbers and trail/ultra distance runners, but millennials? So there is a market for Metris, NV 200 and City Ram commercially built conversions. Can't wait to see them out there...

Two old friends of mine bought a Sprinter diesel to convert themselves.  They do a ton of surfing, mountain biking and snowboarding.  They're making good progress so far.

Your friends are "dirtbags" in the true sense. Take an old van and convert it... then park it a beautiful area and go surfing etc.

2014 NV 1500 (V6) SMB conversion for sale, $54k. 17250 miles.

Not sure about the owner’s thoughts on this. Tow vehicle to be used for exploring around base camps?

More info available from Sportsmobile West.

post-376-0-80464900-1506654055_thumb.jpeg

post-376-0-78839900-1506654118_thumb.jpeg

post-376-0-24086700-1506654191_thumb.jpeg

Edited by radin2son

Came across this blog weretherussos.com and their class B RAM Promaster. They went from “brick and sticks” to a class A RV towing a Jeep to a 20’ campervan.

Good read for anyone considering a camper conversion. They live and work in this van full time, but are not professional runners, climbers etc.

They did check out SMB but the wait time was 6 months to a year and a half.

Edited by radin2son

Periodically, l look at Sportsmobile’s pre owned sites to see if any Nissan NVs show up.

I thought this 2012 hightop sold for $41k, but it is back at $39,995. This is a great price, given it probably was $70k after the upgrades. The owner is in Salt Lake City.

Google pre owned Sportsmobile, Texas if interested. I believe I posted photos on the previous page.

Above NV SMB listed as SOLD. Wonder if the new owner will show up here?

The 2014 NV 2500 V6, standard top conversion sold. Asking price was just under $54k. This was a one off.

Welcome to the new owner if they show up here.

You would think the campervan conversion market would be too crowded, particularly the MB chassis, for a new entry, Beartooth Vanworks. Adventure journal has an article with photos. Only so many ways you can configure a hightop conversion. Sleeps 2 seems to be the norm.

BV modular components are interesting, similar to buying from Ikea. Pricey.

When will NVs get an extended version? Until it does, it won’t compete well in terms of interior space.

Edited by radin2son