Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

NV SMB compared to Transit and ProMaster SMBs

Sportsmobile forum has started sending out a news letter, basically new posts and links. An interesting link is doityourselfrv.com

What can possibly go wrong when SMB cuts a large hole in the roof of a Ram Promaster, installs a just designed and formed “fiberglass” poptop for the first time and does this on an already diy build? Quite a bit... leaks, zippers won’t zip unless the top is part way down, the top can’t be closed with the radio antenna in place (leaked and shorted out electrical in dash that was not covered by Ram warranty) and the poptop lift mechanism in misaligned so doesn’t go up straight. 6 trips to SMB West, not fixed, and apparently stonewalled. If interested in what is a good natured read (keep it and deal with it), go to sportsmobileforum.com and look for “Hello, I wish I had found this forum sooner!”

Makes us appreciate the fact that we have had no manufacture issues. A few quality and design issues plus the carbon monoxide monitor died after 5+ years (5 year warranty) and the plastic smoke detector mount broke.

I think one of the reasons there were no problems was that SMB West built a V6 prototype that they used to convince commercial dealerships to sell SMBs. We met the owner who bought this NV. SMB made a few, minor changes in the 30 they built.

Our plan is to keep our NV SMB 4 more years. At some point I will be unable to manually push up the top. An electric top can be installed but the above post may nix that...

Edited by radin2son

Another campervan converter, this time on the east coast, Gaithersburg, MD. Adventure Journal has the article, or go to Off Grid Adventure Vans

ogavans.com

Ram ProMaster because they like fwd. Will convert Ford Transit and Sprinters. Doubt they ever heard of NVs.

Interesting conversion that will add $30-35k to the price of the van. $30k for the base van.