Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

Check engine light

Another trip, another check engine light and loose gas cap warning. Around 41,000 miles, the check engine light came on after driving through rain and a muddy construction zone northwest of Dalles, TX. Not surprising as this has happened numerous times before. Similarly not surprising when the check gas cap warning light came on. It wasn't and I reset it. Expected the check engine light to go away after several days, the way it has before. It didn't after 1000 miles, so the search for a NV dealership began. It was late Saturday and we were no where near a dealership. This is how we ended up in Charlotte.

2 codes came up:

P0441 Purge Flow (This is the one that came up around 8,000 miles. The check engine light was reset and when it later came back on other trips, it went away on its own.)

P0455 Gross Leak (Evap)

The latter had to be fixed to the tune of $600+ for a new part to be delivered the next day, or $225.50 to repair the sensor. The sensor in the charcoal canister came loose and the sensor was measuring what we breath. (Scary that the air we breath tripped the sensor.) According to the service manager, 99% of the fixes work and the unit does not have to be replaced. I chose "fix it." But... How big a problem is this, how many vehicles share this canister and if you replace the part, is the sensor going to come loose?

No warranty coverage, even though the check engine light was an ongoing intermittent problem during the warranty period. (The gas cap had been replaced at 35,000 miles under warranty and the service manager in Tucson wanted to replace everything. He couldn't unless the code came up again.) Since service records are not computerized and/or available between dealers, so the service manager in Charlotte had nothing to go on but my say so.

My next step is to get in touch with the service manager here and see if Nissan will cover this. If they do, they probably will want to go with a new part.

Why isn't this covered under warranty? From glancing it looks like your NV is 3 yrs old with 42k miles.

The poster Chris Commercial Manager on here is in Charlotte. Are you at his dealership?

I have a 2012 and the warranty was 36k. Had it been a 2014-15 model, it would have been covered by the 100k warranty.

We are back in Tucson with the odometer about to turn to 46k miles. There are a huge number of no service areas around the U.S., so I just waited to post this when we got home.

Glad we turned for home when we did. We were in Missouri and had planned to follow the Missouri River to South Dakota. Instead, we drove through Kansas, Colorado and New Mexico. Strong headwinds and rain but not severe as they just had in KS and MO.

MPG took a huge tumble due to the weather. We had been around 15.7 mpg per tank full for most of the trip, but then we started getting 13+ mpg. The computer says 16.0 mpg for the trip, so it may still be around 15 mpg.

Did see 4 NVPs, one in Kansas (?) pulling a large utility type trailer and another south of Pueblo, CO. The dealer in Colorado Springs keeps a V6 NVP for a rental; he had used it himself for a family trip. Power OK. The last was here in Tucson, getting gas while I was putting diesel into our ignored VW.

Double check your warranty coverage. Smog related issues are covered for 7 years, at least here in California.

Rick.

Someone else posted a similar issue with check engine sensors after the vehicle warranty expired and tried to get it fixed under the "smog related" warranty. Nissan, at least at the dealer level, refused. The post indicated the catalytic converter and perhaps other non-sensor parts were covered. This may vary by state and I have to get the warranty book out.

I think my only hope is that Nissan will consider this as a problem that should have been resolved during the warranty period.

If the sensor fix works permanently, then the $225 may be worth it.

I'll update both...

If your NV is still under warranty, none of this applies. Nissan will replace the faulty part with new or remanufactured parts.

If your warranty has expired, and not living in CA (7 years or 70,000 miles), the Nissan defects warranty and federal emissions warranties are 5 years or 50,000 miles/8years or 80,000 miles. The warranty parts list is long and appears to cover all sensors.

The Nissan defects warranty states NVs were designed, built and equipped to meet US emissions standards in effect at the time at the time of sale. "This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship which cause your vehicle not to meet these standards."

So, is Nissan going to reimburse me for the repair? We'll see.

There also is the federal performance warranty which only applies if you 1.fail emissions testing and 2. Pay a penalty or cannot use your NV. There are all sorts of ways to void this.

Edited by radin2son

Keep this number handy. Nissan Commercial customer service. 877-647-6281

Service Manager here told me to contact Nissan to request reimbursement and Nissan will contact him for past repair records. It will be up to Nissan to decide.

He also sent me a copy of the warranties for my specific vehicle. Confusing in that it is not in sync with the warranty book.

Left a message at Nissan. Reply due in one business day.

Update: 5/27 Left message at Scott Clark Nissan, NC to give them a heads up that I'm filing request for reimbursement. My experience in the past is that "heads up" is generally a waste of time, but as their paperwork says: "Customer satisfaction is our #1 priority...

Edited by radin2son

the number is 877-647-6281. 

it's the same number as roadside assistance. 

Rick.

You are right. Press 1 for roadside assistance and 2 for everything else. 2 only works 0800 to 1700 central time (TN), Monday through Friday.

No call back, but was able to speak to someone this morning about being reimbursed for repairs covered under Nissan's emissions defect warranty and the ongoing problem since 8k miles. Most of what was wanted was verification of current information an vin#. What surprised me was they could pull up where the vehicle has been serviced. In my case, I was asked to fax the repair order and payment reciept, but if you can't they will contact the dealer(s) directly. I will get an answer on 6/2.

Edited by radin2son

no call back for me too. the system kicks you into leaving a contact name and number. says you will get a return call the next day. still waiting and not holding my breath. 

nothing like bringing the van in for 3 issues and after 3 hours all they managed to do was inflate the tires and loose a tire stem cap in the process. the other issues they claim they need to order parts for. so basically i wasted 5 hours to fill the tires. 

Rick.

Rick,

Give them a call when they are "open." You, however, will be speaking to a customer service person, most likely contracted out, not a tech or engineer.

Tried calling at noon pst today. Get the same recording to leave a message and they will return your call the next business day. Problem is today the recording said the mail box is full.

Was able to call roadside assistance, but the operator only has the same contact number as what ive dialed.

Has anyone had luck calling Nissan commercial lately?

Rick.

As you know, I called them yesterday. Around

8 am pst, I spoke to a NV cs rep, who gave me case and call back numbers as well as a date for a response. Don't know what's up with their message process.

On Tuesday, the service manager here gave me the non-commercial number to call. When put on hold, I was given a short wait time. Didn't wait long but the cs rep couldn't help. She did give the correct number and tried to transfer my call. It never connected, so I called them. Left message but no call back the next day.

One system works, the other doesn't. Not a great way to run a company.

Nissan monitors, can you help out with getting the commercial help line to work at least as well as the non-commercial.

Edited by radin2son

Commercial customer service got back to me today as promised. The sensor in the charcoal canister was only covered under the 36k van (2012) warranty. However, since the check engine line has appeared intermittently from 8k on and was reported when I took the van in for service, Nissan will reimburse me for repairs ($225.50).

Although, I don't understand the reasoning why the sensor is not part of the emissions system covered by that warranty, the service advisor at Scott Clark Nissan was correct when he told me the sensor was not covered since my warranty had expired. So far the repair has worked and the service at that visit was otherwise excellent.

Had the repair been completed in Tucson, the service manager at Jim Click Nissan probably could have arranged for Nissan to cover the repair based on his knowledge of the van's service history.

Not so fast... The repair is fine, the customer service part is broken.

For whatever inept reason, Nissan Commercial Customer Affairs has restarted the process of reimbursement. At some point, Nissan and other manufacturers will get it that they can't outsource customer service. It will cost them sales, at least mine and others who do their homework and research vehicles.

Nissan has again agreed to reimburse me for repairs, but their reasoning misses the point or the information they were given by the call center was inadequate.

The 5 yr or 50k mi emissions defect warranty should have covered repairs and/or replacement. Either the charcoal canister or sensor attachment was defective or the sensor was attatched incorrectly. The sensor worked and was not replaced.

Every NV without the 100k,or is it 110k, warranty that requires this type of repair needs to point this out to the service advisor or manager at the time of service. My mistake was not knowing enough about the warranty. It is right there with the manual.

Edited by radin2son

Received a check today from Nissan, not Nissan Chattanooga but from Franklin, for $225.50 to cover the repair. The check was sent on 6/11, one day after I spoke with the second consumer affairs rep. I was told it would take 2 weeks. Is this the check approved by the first rep, almost 2 weeks ago? Their problem, not mine...

RICK, Thanks for directing me to the manual and emissions warranties.

Edited by radin2son

Glad you got your check. I still haven't gotten a return phone call since wednesday 6/10, leaving them numerious phone messages and speaking to nissan corporate who was suppose to escalate my issues.

Maybe a $40,000 check will wake them up.

Rick.

On the way to the bank, my wife took a look at the check. Wrong street number, misspelled town and wrong zip code. Her take, "it's a wonder we got this."

When will this saga end? Just got off the phone with Jerome, Nissan Consumer Affairs, who told me I will be receiving a check in 2 to... Cut him off to let him know I already received the check. His response was "that was quick...outstanding."

Check number matched his records, so maybe a second check will not be cut. Not holding my breath.

x

Edited by Jerry

Jerome must have taken Chace's spot because that's who i've been speaking too today too. 

of course still a waste of time as he spoke to the local nissan service manage who told him my 2012 sd card is the most current. which we all know is a lie. also told him that the poor gas mileage is due to my weight of 2000# of cargo. which we all know that's false too as people towing 30' travel trailers weighing 8000# with huge wind resistance are getting much better mileage. of course he knows all this without ever seeing my van in person. the bluetooth and navigation he claims is also working properly and it must be my phone that's making it not work. told him to show me a phone that does work. in fact the approved phones on nissans website only let you enter a 2012 model year nothing newer. 

amazing how they act so smart without ever seeing my van. 

I'll try Jerome tomorrow and see what he has to offer once i update him with the proof of the facts. 

Rick.