JohnnyRD

NV2500 Bad mileage

Had a sprinter van year 2004 it got 22 miles pre gal but was having trouble with it Trans, Electrical ect. got rid of it and bought a NV2500 low top 5.6 engine,

BAD IDEA not even close to the mileage Best I got so far 12.5 MPG icc that was average for a tank full. With a lot of highway. Around town it is between

10 and 11 Yuck. I have a ladder rack on and do haul some weight but I had a lot more in my sprinter and it was a high top with ladder rack on it.

I had a OLD 1992 Chevy 1.5 ton Dump truck 4WD with a 454 V8 it got better mileage. I hate this thing what a disapointment WTF is going on, I talked to a few

Titan owners with the same Engine and they told me their mileage was around 12 also.

Anybody have any luck improving mileage, does anybody get more? HELP I am stuck with the lease and would loose 8,500 to get out of it.

Had a sprinter van year 2004 it got 22 miles pre gal but was having trouble with it Trans, Electrical ect. got rid of it and bought a NV2500 low top 5.6 engine,

BAD IDEA not even close to the mileage Best I got so far 12.5 MPG icc that was average for a tank full. With a lot of highway. Around town it is between

10 and 11 Yuck. I have a ladder rack on and do haul some weight but I had a lot more in my sprinter and it was a high top with ladder rack on it.

I had a OLD 1992 Chevy 1.5 ton Dump truck 4WD with a 454 V8 it got better mileage. I hate this thing what a disapointment WTF is going on, I talked to a few

Titan owners with the same Engine and they told me their mileage was around 12 also.

Anybody have any luck improving mileage, does anybody get more? HELP I am stuck with the lease and would loose 8,500 to get out of it.

I have about 8K on my NV with the V8. that sounds about right. I drive NYC stop and go my MPG reads anywhere from 9 - 12.5, on the drive in, on the highway with traffic it reads 12.5 -14, thats with driving about 45 MPH. I have gotten as high as 19.5 on the highway driving like Grandma in the right hand lane

I have the regular roof 2500 V6 - it got 14 to 15 towing a 2500 pound trailer to South Florida plus the van was loaded with stuff as well. This was measured at the pump. The computer is questionable but has some relativity to the actual. I have seen my computer go to 24mpg for a few miles but it normally reads 19/21 in this hilly area of NC and relatively rural area. Mpg did drop in Ft Lauderdale with all the traffic lights and what is now the "red light camera capital of the World". But even then it was actual of 15/16.

I'm very pleased with my mpgs on the V6. It is better than the Tundra I sold after buying the NV but the Tundra was the 5.7 V8 and 6 speed auto 4x4, longbed, double cab. Best MPGs on the Tundra was 21 on a tank of "apparently" ethanol free gas purchased on a trip to Yellowstone NP.

I have found that gas purchased at Love's and sometimes Exxon seems to have less ethanol which gives better mpgs. Both my NV and Toyota Highlander have the computer and while these don't jibe directly with computation of mpgs at the fill up, they do give a close approximation [computers show about 1 to 2 mpgs more than actual], so if you watch your mpgs on the computer you can get an idea which gas pumps have more ethanol and which have less. Less ethanol can produce 2 to 3 mpgs MORE based on my many fill ups. - We should all demand that ethanol be left out of gas - it cuts mpgs significantly and I DON'T believe it does anything for the environment - thats just another "government lie". Ask your corn belt senators and congress members!!!!!! Of course they will LIE!!!

Government does a lot of stupid things - like say that guns kill when its the human finger [or inhuman] on the trigger that kills!

I am very pleased with the mileage on my v8. brand new with a feather foot I saw on a level run 20. I think for the size of the vehicle that is fantastic. Gas will come down after the Iran issue anyway.

I am very pleased with the mileage on my v8. brand new with a feather foot I saw on a level run 20. I think for the size of the vehicle that is fantastic. Gas will come down after the Iran issue anyway.

My 2500 High Roof V8 gets 15-16.5 at 70 mph... I have no idea why you would be getting 12 MPGs... Are you basing it off of the trip computer or the actual miles divided by gallons at the pump?

I have a 2012 NV 2500 V8 and with my written calculation over the past 7 months I'm averaging 12.8 with some equipment in the back. YOU CAN NOT go by the digital read out. That is what you call average over 5000 miles. It's not the true reading. Goes with every manufacture. These vans are good but the mileage is not the best. Should put a 6 cylinder diesel cheap for better mileage from japan pref from there fork lifts.

I have a 2500 low-roof with the V6. The computer is not good to go by, even when resetting at each fill up. Calcs of miles divided by gallons is the best. Mine is new, 1000 miles, 40/60 highway and city, gross weight with tools and equipment is 7900 lbs as it stands daily....I am seeing 16 mpg right now. I am hoping it improves with more miles...can't really go by readings at a 1000 miles.

I am curious what the high roof does to mileage and handling with the V6....we are looking to replace Ford E-250's and E-350's as they die off.....NV is the only good replacement, prior to Ford moving to the European Van after next year, to replace the E-series service vans. We have had Chevy's they just don't hold up.....Sprinters don't have a good reputation around here and are more $$.

Eager to see how others experiences with the NV are coming along.

Yes, this van is the worst gas mileage van made.Its also been the most comfortable van as well.

I really dont know whos on the forum

saying there nissan gets 25mpg. My van currently gets 9mpg. nv2500 v8 600 lbs equipment.

I drive 90% city. Im lucky I only drive this van 6000 miles per year. I bought this van for comfort and

i used to own a 2006 nissan titan 4x4 that also got bad mileage. Only buy this van if you want comfort and are not driving 30000 miles per year. I bought this also because of motor dependablitiy. This motor is proven

and is alot cheaper to fix that a diesel sprinter. You really need to test driving all the vans and maybe even

rent each one for a week. When your spending 30-50k on a van, you better make sure.

They say the v6 is better mileage, I really dont know. Test drive both and you will want the v8 due to the power out of the hole.

I've got the V8 with low roof and about 600#'s of stuff. I'm getting 16 and that's 70% highway. I agree with the comment about the MPG computer....its happy. I'm getting about 1 mile or so less MPG than it says by calculating the old way. I am also easy on the pedal, so I'm not happy with the fuel MPG either.

I had an E250 V8 for 12 years and that got me 16 highway.... same type of driving..... but! I really like this van very much. HAs anyone tried a chip? I've never used one of those things on any of my vehicles.... do they work? or hype?

I have a 2012 Nv 2500 high roof converted to a wheel chair accessible van and carries about 800 lbs of equipment constantly. Now has about 8000 kilometers (5000 miles). When I got it the mileage as a new truck didn't get 10mpg -- made me question the purchase but in the last 1000 kilometers the miileage has shown improvement now up to about 18.5 to 19 mpg. On regular gas driving both city and highway.  On the highway I select the manual mode for the truck's transmission as that allows me to shift into 5th gear while the automatic mode only goes into 4th gear. On the highway I run at about 60mpg (about 10 mph higher than the local limit). I am going to do a cold air kit conversion based on other Nisan v6 engines and hope the mileage improves some more.

We have had the 2500 standard top, converted into a camper van by SMB, since 9/12. The conversion brings the weight up to 6.917 from 5,996. Set up for travel typically adds 1,000 pounds.

In 2012 we drove 4954 miles and averaged 14.13 mpg (miles divided by gallons used). The computer said 15.3 mpg. This was not all interstate miles; there was a lot of narrow, 2 lane, twisting, hilly roads.

We just returned from an almost 11,000 mi. trip to Alaska. We averaged 16.44 mpg. Except for I-15 to get to Canada and I-10 to return from California, it was again mostly 2 lane roads. The computer said 17 mpg.

We are happy with this, but not so happy with the $320 charged for the 15,000 mile service; this included an "engine oil system flush," a new air filter, fuel injection cleaning and other checks. I think the dealer forgot this is a truck and not a sports car; however, after a trip like this I wanted more than an oil change. Everything was fine. In the future, I will stick to the regular oil changes per the service booklet.

The 7,500 service cost $61.77 in Grande Prairie, Alberta.

post-376-0-44693300-1372892198_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-77486900-1372892208_thumb.jpg

My 2500 high roof gets 10-11 mpg . Computer say 12-12.5 mpg. My truck is loaded up right to the gvw. With the v8

High roof, V8 in Utah. We regularly get 10-14 depending on how we drive. Sometimes we drive nice and sometimes we drive like maniacs late for our doom. The van is what it is, a huge box of steel barreling down the road. I accept that it gets poor MPG, and in return I get reliability and a mini-RV. 

I would say overall we are at about 12mpg though. Ours gets used primarily on weekends to haul people and gear. Most of the miles are freeway, some on dirt roads and some desert two track. 

Mine is running around 13 right now, still only has a few thousand miles on it though, I hope that number goes up.

2500 hi top V8 at 65 mph with no ac on and a dirtbike in the back. My best is 14 mpg, mostly highway.

V6 High Roof.

Got an 18.7MPG average on 3200 miles from Virginia to California. Doing mostly 65 with long stretches of 72/73 in TX, NM and AZ.

Oh that was fully loaded to the brim with about 1200 lbs of household items + two people.

I am interested in purchasing the Nissan NV, but not sure if I should purchase the 1500 or the 2500.  I'm looking at the V-6 engines in both, not the V-8 as gas mileage is a high priority.  My question is does the NV1500 with the V-6 engine get better gas mileage than the NV2500 with the V-6???  Both vehicles would have the standard roof not the high roof.  Thank you for your replies.

Edited by geo

I can not comment on the 1500. I have the 2500 V6 low roof, around town 12 mpg on the highway 15 to 16 mpg. Load around 300-1000 lbs.

I am interested in purchasing the Nissan NV, but not sure if I should purchase the 1500 or the 2500. I'm looking at the V-6 engines in both, not the V-8 as gas mileage is a high priority. My question is does the NV1500 with the V-6 engine get better gas mileage than the NV2500 with the V-6??? Both vehicles would have the standard roof not the high roof. Thank you for your replies.

Should be about the same

Just passed 7,000 miles and getting got 18.9 MPG measured at the pump. About 3,500 miles were fully loaded driving cross country with 1,500 lbs of stuff in the back. The other half were mostly empty but driving up and down Donner Summit and around Truckee/Tahoe at 6,000 feet, sticking to mostly 50-60 MPH. Not sure if I have a light touch or if we just got lucky with the engine but I am very happy with 18.9 MPG. Filled up the little dashboard computer shows a range of 486 miles, which I think is slightly optimistic, should be closer to 440 miles. 

We also have an Automatic plugged into the OBDII port which is a fun way to see where we have been, fuel consumption, and reminds you to avoid sharp acceleration and breaking.

Now if the snow in Tahoe could melt I could finally get off the slopes and start the conversion...;-)

Don't know why such a large spread between good mileage and terrible mileage.

My fillup yesterday is right on par with my 16 months of ownership. 153.8 miles /23.56 gallons= 6.53 mpg. And that's without towing anything. The van has a total of 6974 miles. That equates to over 1000. Gallons of fuel. With fuel being $2.76 per gallon yesterday.

Yes, I carry weight being a contractor, but others are getting double the mileage while towing an 8500# trailer.

Nv 3500 5.6 v8 high top.

Dealer claims there's nothing wrong.

Rick.