Heffay Dean

Oil Change... How often?

Quick question here...

When did you do your first oil change in your NVP?

Specifically, I drive the 2014 3500 HD NVP.

(and when I say "I", I mean my wife.)

I drive a little fiat pop, and it has a message that pops up when it is time to change the oil.

Thanks ahead of time!

-jeff.

Before anyone starts in on reports, or oil analysis stuff let me say I'm old school.  First oil change at 1000 is what i tell people.  Then every 3k after.  Oil changes are so cheap, it is not going to hurt anything to have fresh oil.  I have never had an oil related failure.

If I were radin2son cruising all highway I could see stretching.

my .02

That is precisely the simple answer i was looking for... no need for charts or reports and analysis...  Thanx!

I run mobile one 5w20 with K&N filters and change it every 5k  . But when new change as above , the first couple oil changes are the most important in the life of your engine ...

Glenn

I do 5k on everything. Check out the soot in your air intake on the CLEAN side of that k&n filter. Had one on the duramax for a short time. Never again.

I shoot for every 3-4k miles and use Mobil 1 Synthetic with a quality filter.  If I miss it for a bit and go a little longer to 5k, not really a big deal. 

I also use a Red Line fuel system cleaner at every old change.  I buy a case of it at a time and it is not as expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-Complete-System-Cleaner/dp/B000CPI5Z0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482058433&sr=8-1&keywords=red+line+fuel+system+cleaner

There are several synthetic oil change schedules posted that fall well below the recommended mileage. Given this is a person preference or is based on severe driving conditions, is there any data to support this?

Wouldn't it be great if Nissan would release the data on the 500k NV used by Above and Beyond delivery based in Phoenix. Chris_cm had a NV cargo that was traded in with 300k on the odometer.

I use good filters (usually Mobil 1 or Napa Gold), Mobil 1 oil, and change at 6000 miles.

The oil debate is classic, and I'm interested to hear what others change at. If these motors were more advanced (like the Ecoboost for instance, which I've heard deals with insanely high combustion temps in summer driving), and I drove in extreme or dusty conditions I'd change more often. But living in rural Michigan on 1/4mile of gravel road, for warmup time,

has to be about the most cushy conditions for any motor or oil...!

Edited by andy_george

Thanks for the info. Anyone doing this? How often and at what mileage?

I used to do the 3,000 mile oil changes until I saw a news piece where consumer reports changed oil at 3,000 or 8,000 on a large fleet of NY taxi cabs, after 100,000 miles they tore the engines down and found no measurable difference in wear. This was in the 80's so most likely Dino oil. That is when I went to 5,000 mile changes. Easy to track too.

I plan on doing it. My 2014 has 52K freeway miles on it already.  I go to Larson Nissan in Fife,WA they recommend 5k between oil changes for me, using full syn oil.  So I guess it is past time for a fuel system cleaning.

When my e250 hit 200000 miles I went from 3k to 6k on oil changes. I also always used engine restore at very oil change. I finally traded it in on my NV2500 at 335000 miles. My commercial dealer here (and also the manual) recommends every 5k miles for oil changes with synthetic, I have only done 3 so far. As for fuel cleaners, I used to use chevron or stp, then every mechanic said to use Lucas, I have used Lucas for the last 200000 miles at every oil change, on my e250. I have not used any fuel cleaner in my NV as of yet, I believe the manual said not to.

Honestly those fuel cleaners are a waste of money. The only one I will trust is BG44K. I have a classic car mechanic friend that swears by them and BMW uses it in their bikes and the no longer have to walnut shell blast the valves.

I ran it every 10,000 miles in my Camry and every oil change in the MG. On older cars you check engine light may pop on.

I use good filters (usually Mobil 1 or Napa Gold), Mobil 1 oil, and change at 6000 miles.

The oil debate is classic, and I'm interested to hear what others change at. If these motors were more advanced (like the Ecoboost for instance, which I've heard deals with insanely high combustion temps in summer driving), and I drove in extreme or dusty conditions I'd change more often. But living in rural Michigan on 1/4mile of gravel road, for warmup time,

has to be about the most cushy conditions for any motor or oil...!

Aren't gravel roads dusty, to some degree?

It is best to always ask friends who have tried some fuel injector cleaner and have had a positive experience. Of course, there's always good old interent. Suppose, I found an interesting comparison on this website: http://toyotasequoia2017.com/best-rated-fuel-injector-cleaners

Aren't gravel roads dusty, to some degree?

Yes. Good point. But not when I crawl down them at 5mph with my wife punching me in the arm to "hurry up!"

I'm doing it every 5k as I feel it's not too much, not too little, and convenient to get the tires rotated at the same time since I replaced my stock NV 2500 wheels/tires with BF Goodrich All Terrains (285/70/17)... I don't want to make separate trips for oil changes and tire rotations, and I haven't gotten into changing my own oil so...

I have the complete fleet I manage on a 5,000/6 month interval.  That meets all our current manufacturer recommendations.   In actuality it works out to a bit less than that because I schedule the vehicles as they get close to the limit.   We've never had a lubrication related failure and I've sold a number of older vehicles that are running well at 180-200k miles.