radin2son

2016 or 17 meetup/gathering... Missouri?

Missouri? Because most active forum participants seem to be from mid to eastern US. Most are working and have families. Another less important reason is that we want go back to pick up the Lewis and Clark route and work our way back to the Dakotas, where we left off...we don't have dates or a specific plan. Just a reason why we would drive that far.

Where in Missouri? I really don't know. KMG resides there and others seem to know the area.

OR, northern Michigan, especially if it is cooler. I forget who resides there and loves the area. Never been there. Anywhere is fine...

When? Dates open. We just have to reach a consensus and ante up $ if campground reservations etc are needed. Keep it simple and cheap.

Who? All NV owners, whether or not you drive a converted NV, tow a RV or want to stay in a tent, cabin or motel.

Will it happen? Who knows? It can if there is interest. If not, maybe 2017.

Edited by radin2son

I would definitely be interested in either location. I live in SE Michigan, so either location would work. Were you thinking Northern Lower peninsula or the Upper peninsula?

Actually, maybe right in between. I was looking at the KOA book and there are 2, Mackinaw City and St Ignace in that area. We know absolutely nothing about the area. Macinac Island sounds interesting. (One families' tourist trap may be another's dream vacation.) Although we prefer state parks, some are impossible to get into on weekends and KOAs may be good for this type of event.

But, I definitely defer to anyone who knows the area or any other area. This idea is open to everything and everyone for 2016 or 17. Chris the cm might even turn it into a NV event if we meet near Charlotte, NC.

Truth be told, we have never been to a meetup and consider ourselves to be solitary travelers. It would, however, be interesting to meet others who use their NVs to travel, or as my wife just said to see that many NVs...

I'm with both of you guys.  Any location is fine by me and I haven't been to a meet up.

Maybe we should try to determine a rough number and origin of participants, counting vehicles and people, to help us select the geographic location and venue size required.

I'd be intersted! Living in central Michigan makes the UP my obvious first choice, but I'd consider going wherever the meet was. Our business keeps us busy most weekends in the summer though, so it's doubtful I'd even be able to make it, but I'll keep tabs on the plan and see what develops!

For some, this may be part of a vacation and wouldn't have to be on a weekend. There also are spring and fall breaks. As KMG indicated, we just have to see what the interest is and go from there.

I thought I'd bump this thread.  I'm still interested in a meet up this year. Any one want to begin making long range plans?

Maybe we can begin with a list of participants and their location(s) and date(s) preferences.

Name: KMG

Locations: 1. Springfield, MO  2. Upper Michigan  3.  Anywhere in Colorado

Dates: April to October.  

Edited by KMG

We probably will not be doing any long road trips; rather, we plan to spent time in the 4 corners area (AZ - UT - CO - NM) this spring and summer.

There just isn't any interest, for a lot of valid reasons I'm sure, but thanks for trying.

This is going to come across as a smart ass answer but it's not!  Thanks to everyone for being upfront about their interest in a meet up.  I'm glad we didn't waste time with plans only to find out later the interest wasn't there.  Maybe after more people learn what a great vehicle the NV is will create more forum participants.

Thanks, Kevin

On my recent trip to FL and back I saw 3 total NVP's and that was actually looking for them actively just to see how many we could spot.  This was 1400+ miles of driving.

However - I saw over a dozen Transit passengers, most of the top XLT 350 model low tops.  

The only new vans I see fewer of than NV's are the new Ram Promasters.  

I do see a lot more commercial NV's but we were only counting Passenger NV's and Passenger Transits.  In my home area there is exactly ONE other NVP and it is brand new.  They actually bought it after seeing mine in the parking lot at a few stores.  Family of 5 plus friends/family.  They had a extended 'Burb and it was falling apart so needed something bigger.  They have the 3500 SV V6 model and love it.  I know there should be more since my only local dealer seems to sell them but I never see them.  There are 3 other NVP's but I dont count them, they are all shuttles.

Not sure why there are so many XLT 350 Transits out there vs. the NVP.  

KMG, I would expect "some" interest from those with current camper van conversion projects underway and those already completed/being used. But then again, this a very quiet subgroup.

Let me know if you plan to be in Colorado. We are considering shorter but more frequent trips to the 4 corners' area, so we may be close by. (We just have to do better than when we we shadowing each other last fall.) National Geographic published a great map of this area and a good book is The Great Circle Tour if you are interested.

I would be interested in a meet up. Next year for me. I'm in the middle of Finishing the remodeling of my home and selling it to hit the road full time again. I'm waiting for the weather to break so I can finish my van conversion. High top won't fit in the garage. All it dose is rain and stay cold here and that won't work for cutting holes in the roof and sealing them up. So I won't be making any long trips till summer.

There are a lot of NV's sold in my town. We have a great dealer here and they move them pretty well. I have noticed that the majority are NV cargo for business. I think the more they sell for business then down the road consumers will buy. Like the sprinter vans. people see them as fleet vehicle and feel they must be good, right? These companies are using them. Time will tell but I can definitely see a shift in the ratio of NV's to sprinters. Fed Ex is getting away from the sprinter platform here. I have seen more Express and transit vans being utilized by them here. We have a Mercedes dealer here and they don't seem to move the Sprinters  or conversions here. Too expensive. Also, 4 wheel drive is king here. You can hardly find a 2 wheel drive new truck of any kind on any lot in this area. I think that is why the NVP will not take off here. Has to be a 4x4. Sorry to get off topic.

Don't give up on a gathering. It sounds like a lot of fun and we need the community. These are great vehicles and Nissan is kinda like a Salmon swimming up stream in this market.. I hope the NV will take a good foot hold in the market or we may become a very small group indeed.  

Utah?

If you are unfamiliar with southern Utah, check out the new videos by dave-anderson.com. His camperized NV 2500 high top V6 was used as their base camp when not in Moab. These are climbing videos produced for Aceteryx China. Sub-titles are available on some, but you don't them to appreciate the beauty of the climbs and the area.

Utah is still tough on NVs. His has a dinged front bumper; our's has a dinged rear bumper. Shows that we are proud owners, or can't see over the hood or out the back. The flat tire, not so much...

With temps in the 80s, we are headed north toward the Sedona area for some archaeological exploring. If the weather holds, we may head toward Zion and sites in that area.

As of now I am interested in just the NW states.  Have to split my time between this silly day job, NV camping, and the other camper I am involved with.  It's the Sea Scout Ship Odyssey...

post-1155-0-06996000-1455333738_thumb.jpg

Where can I enlist?

Utah is not a reality for most on this forum. It should, however, be a trip destination.

NW is a great destination as well...

Utah is on my 2017 late summer list and then swing through eastern Oregon on August 21st to catch the total eclipse of the sun.

Would love to have a gathering meetup in Missouri!

We are just north of Little Rock. 

Southern Missouri, of course anywhere in Arkansas, northeast Texas, eastern Oklahoma...

There are already lots of activity north, and east, and out west.  I think those of us here in

the more centralized us drive some pretty awesome Nissans, as well.

I will throw out the Branson, MO area.  Lots for people to do and see, beautiful country,

and not very busy right now.  We are fairly impromptu and don't "necessarily" need a lot of

heads up to have a gathering...  

:)

Edited by Chayelle

Not much past interest in this but that could change.

There are more diy conversions as well as NVPs with TTs so it may come down to distance from the event vs vacation time available.

Yes, agree... seems everyone is always so busy.

But, as I am enjoying more about Cargi and using her,

I find it would be so interesting to talk with others who are DIY their vans!

:)

Edited by Chayelle

They had put out a 50% off discount code for Oregon, I've messaged them for details.  Once they get back to me, I'll start a separate thread to hopefully garner more attention, but it's inked on our calendar, so we're going.

I can see why you would enjoy this. Similar concept as Overland Expo. 

We have family near Charlottesville and it has been awhile since we traveled east. Distance makes this type of trip complex.

Much easier to travel and see what you find or as one poster informed me he wasn’t retired and couldn’t wander around aimlessly. Pity. 

26 minutes ago, Local Apparent Friday said:

They had put out a 50% off discount code for Oregon, I've messaged them for details.  Once they get back to me, I'll start a separate thread to hopefully garner more attention, but it's inked on our calendar, so we're going.

What are you talking about?  "They put a ..."  Who?  And what does Oregon have to do with anything for getting together in Missouri or Chattanooga?

I am lost????  Sorry about that.

Edited by Cargi Goes

@Cargi Goes  When you see the text with the underline, it's a hyperlink.  I had linked the Adventure Van Expo in this thread in an attempt to see if anyone wants to meet up.  It is a countrywide show, they are in Bend, Oregon right now and put up a 50% off code for tickets, so I messaged them to see if they will have a discount code available for when they are in Chattanooga, which is where I am inviting you all to meet up, the first weekend of October.

@radin2son  We're not far from Cville, it's nice that time of year.  Lots of apple festivals.  The distance must be killer for you all though, it'd be a haul.  We'll be out west next year, so we'll catch you either way if you're down.  I just looked up overland expo and it's the very next weekend after ADVan in VA, so we'll probably hit that too.  Ty

Edited by Local Apparent Friday