Sign in to follow this  
mahu

Sonar updates?

I seem to remember that in some Nissan NV brochure I read that the SL/Technology package comes with rear AND front sensors? In our 2016 SL we only have the rear sensors. Not that we really need the front sensors, I am just wondering if I am totally misremembering about the front sensors, or if those were a feature on previous models or are a passenger van option only.

Also, I think a few weeks ago there was a discussion about the rear sensor going off at random times and making beeping sounds. 

The 2016 NV has an off-switch for the sonar. So I am wondering if that is a new feature that Nissan added?

Good morning!!  The sonar off switch has always been there.  As for the front sonar I could not say, have not seen a 2016, but I have seen it listed on documents.  That is odd.

The sonar switch has always been there, but has to be reset every time you restart your engine. The ? was how to disable it completely; same question for TPMS.

In the case of rear sensors, when you lose one, the whole system malfunctiones and you get the constant beep when in reverse. $225+ to replace each sensor. You will also find that the sensors do not like shadows, inclines, curb drop offs etc. I wouldn't completely disable it even if the backup camera makes it redundant. There are times when the backup image is hard to see.

Unless you have fog lights, the front sensors are a NVP only option.

I think I was the one that raised the question about discarding the TPMS sensors. Being old as dirt, I'm perfectly content to do without them.

However, I've done enough reading since posing the question to now know that they are mandated. Just like seat belts - I'll gradually get used to the idea.