Sign in to follow this  
wollip

Indel B 12v fridge/freezer

I'm giving up on ice chests. My $400 one keeps ice 10% better

than my $40 one from Walmart.

I don't make this change without giving it much thought. My plan

was always to keep things simple and an ice chest fits that criteria.

But I think the recently discussed Ctek dc to dc charging system

will make dc refrigeration feasible without complications.

So the first thing installed is an Indel B 12v fridge/freezer.

Space is always at a premium so we decided that the center console

could go away and the Indel B take that spot. Why this brand over

any of the others out there? Because the 50 liter version is a near

exact replacement for the center console. And because the light and

dark grays make it look like a factory option.

I bought the optional mounting plate - for $75 there was no need

for me to try to build something.

All this kit is available from equipt1.com - I think they are the only US

distributers.

So far I have only used it with the cig plug in the dash. But I am in the

process of wiring it up permanently.

After a couple of months of use I have to say I really like it. Does

everything I wanted and is very, very low maintenance. Just wipe it out

between uses and remember to keep the lid propped open a little

if you aren't going to use it for an extended period.

It has the wife's seal of approval for looks and functionality.

post-341-0-03371400-1447898879_thumb.jpg

post-341-0-81952100-1447898918_thumb.jpg

post-341-0-65228200-1447898963_thumb.jpg

post-341-0-55352900-1447899001_thumb.jpg

post-341-0-46991600-1447899033_thumb.jpg

post-341-0-04876100-1447899118_thumb.jpg

Nice fit.  Does it keep cold enough overnight with an outside temp around 60 F or do you keep it running?

I'm afraid there are too many variables to that scenario for me to be able to give you much of an answer. My best guess is yes but I wouldn't bet raw chicken on it.

I'll try to test that out for you but might take a few days

Looks great! I had the same issue and went with the Dometic 50qt. Same foot print as the console but a couple of inches short of the arm rest. Good space saving idea. Enjoy and good luck with it.

Great White - the light and dark grays on both the Dometic and Indel B are so similar you might think they were made in the same factory. :-)

I have the Dometic CF-110 waiting to be installed once I get the Ctek system going.

The Indel B will be used for ice and the Dometic for refrigeration. Both seem to be good quality machines that have a huge following overseas but are not as well regarded here yet.

Dang, like you said, that looks like it rolled off the factory floor. Makes me wonder if we would really appreciate something like that on our couple-times-a-year roadtrips. I'm gonna kick that around some....

Good work, looks awesome!

andy_george -

Indel B for occasional use -

When you are not using it as designed, the main compartment makes an excellent dry storage box - very similar to the cavity in the factory console, but without the hanging file folders. The smaller section is good for coins, pens, notepads, etc.

But we haven't used it that way yet because in less than a minute you can plug it into the cig outlet on the dash and be chilling the leftover BBQ you discovered along the way.

It is positioned like it is with the lid opening forwards for three reasons. First - it allows the unit to breathe because the compressor is placed forward and not buried between the seats. Second - the 12v plug is then right up front and easy to reach. And third - the controls and temperature display are front and center.

It is usable 24/7 even if you haven't done a partial or full van conversion. Just run a small extension cord to provide it with shore power when needed. It automatically switches to an AC current supply when detected.

I'm gathering results on how well insulated it is for the times that you might need to let it drift for several hours - especially overnight.

But I already know that two or three hours of downtime during moderate ambient temps is no problem.

Most convenient feature to me is the way it remembers settings. After buying gas or hitting a rest stop, it starts right back up as soon as you start the engine. No need to adjust anything or remember to turn it back on. That also applies even if I haven't used it for weeks - just goes back to working.

More thoughts on occasional use -

The main problem for 24/7 usage is that the 12v cig outlet in the dash goes dead when the key is shut off.

If you were willing to install another cig outlet that is wired directly to the battery (always live), the unit could then sip current all night long. It uses less than a 60 watt light bulb and would probably only cycle on/off a dozen or so times.

The unit also has a battery protection feature that will help to keep you from waking up to a dead battery.

By having a choice between the factory outlet and the user installed always live outlet, you would gain a lot of control over battery management.

But all of the above is extra work and a little bit of expense - valuable only to those that recognize their need for it.

Looking at the Indel and ARB websites for this style of unit I get the impression these are "fridge OR freezer" but not both.  Is that the case, or is it capable of doing both simultaneously?  (From the views I've seen online there doesn't appear to be a separate freezer section, haven't seen one in person yet.)

I'd like to have my cold (but not frozen) drinks as well as my ice cream!

RandomJoe -

You're correct / these are either/or units. Many different companies (National Luna and Engel come to mind) make units that will do both. But these are generally larger units that will not fit between the front seats of an NV. But you could secure one of them behind the seats and still run the 12v cord up front.

I can set the Indel B unit I have to barely freeze (not deep freeze) and the smaller compartment above the compressor will not freeze at that setting. But that is a much smaller area and may not be adequate for your needs.

Laharview -

Back in Nov you asked -

"Does it keep cold enough overnight with an outside temp around 60 F or do you keep it running?"

Sorry it has taken so long for my reply - I just found my notes after misplacing them. I did this check during the winter so I had to reverse night for day to get the temps you requested.

After an overnight temp of 45 deg and with no heat running in the van, I filled the unit with 4 large bottles of pre chilled water from the household refrig.

I then ran the indel b for two hours before shutting it off. The inside temp was 42 deg.

I did not open or run the unit again for 8 hrs. At that point the outside air temp was 65 deg and the van had been sitting in partly cloudy conditions all day.

So after 8 hrs of "coasting", the internal temp of the indel b was 58 deg.

Not the best of results - but replace even one of those bottles of water with a bottle of ice and conditions will improve dramatically.

We used the indel b extensively on a recent trip and this time had it set to freeze solid.

Each night, while plugged in to shore power, four bottles were frozen solid. We used these the next day to cut down on the bagged ice we needed for our larger 75 qt conventional cooler (Brute/Buffalo brand). It was mainly an experiment but showed me that it will also freeze like crazy.

Fits  perfect. Looking to order one.

If you have the model number handy it would help keep me from ordering the wrong one :-)

Thanks in advance

Don

I second the ask for the Indel B model number.  equipt1.com lists 7 variations.  I'd hate to order the wrong one.  

If you look at the original poster's profile, they have not been active in nearly a year and a half.  Don't expect a response.

This thread is 5 years old.  Models have probably been added and removed in that time.  Even if it was the same model number it might be very different now.

I think this (goes to TruckFridge web site Indel TB51A) is the one referred to in the original post. We bought one of these, and are absolutely delighted with it.

They're backordered right now, I see, but they do have the mounting plate. We got an insulated cover, as well. 

Since back ordered here is what I use. The Alpicool CF45 Portable Refrigerator fits right in the spot between front seats (minus arm rests which I've removed). Works great for 12v fridge in my NV.

Edited by it-treker