Sign in to follow this  
Joey Bailey

Question about reliability of NV3500

We are thinking of buying a NV3500. We are currently looking at a used 2013 SL model with about 48000 miles on it. Dealer wants 28990 out the door...has every option. First off is that a decent price. Also my main concern is if these things really last. Not real familiar with Nissan vehicles. Any help would be appreciated. Has anyone had issues with the NVP. Should I buy a new one vice a used one. Thanks.

Yes, they are very reliable since first introduced in 2012. I would look for a 2014 with the bulk of the 5 yr or 100,000 warranty still in effect. If this 2013 has the 36,000 mi warranty, it is still reliable but will be expensive to replace parts etc. that probably will be covered by the longer warranty.

Others can tell you if this is a good price

We have a 2014 SL. Love it. No issues so far, at 24,000 miles. They are built tough, and are not loaded down with electronic comforts, sensor-laden driver assist features, and gimmicky and flimsy interior bits. They may not be the most luxurious passenger vehicles available, but the chassis and drivetrain are extremely stout and proven, and there just aren't many other areas I expect issues for a long, long time.

Can't speak to NVP, but from our buying experience of a new 2016 NV2500 high roof the difference between a used 2013 with ~40,000 miles and a brand new was minimal. If I recall correctly the used one the dealer tried to sell us on was around 27k while we got the new one for 32.5k out the door, so it was a no brainer going for the new one.

I have a 2014 Hi roof V6 that I bought a year ago. Haven’t been back to the dealer since I bought it. Not a single problem. My last new vehicle had about a dozen defects -- several were never fixed. So, if initial quality is any indicator of long-term reliability, should do well.

I paid 28K for mine, out the door. It’s a 6-cyl, not an eight, and I don’t have the chrome pkg, but it has everything else. Great vehicle.

EDIT - Correct price was actually right about $38K OTD.  More a couple posts below!

I agree on looking for one with the 5yr / 100K warranty.  That's the best on the market and worth hunting for.  We paid $32K for our 2015 SL and that was hunting around several dealers within a 2-3 hour driving radius.  There are not many out there!  Plenty of the cargos but not many NVP's.

We have 13,000 miles on our '15 and so far so good.  A few niggling issues came up but they were taken care of and none of them would keep me from buying another one.  The only reason I would sell mine is if they put the new Cummins diesel in and the price isnt a crazy premium.  

I see you are in the NE area - check out the 4x4 conversions from Quigley.  Carry an excellent warranty if bought when the van is brand new and the conversion has proved reliable.  I think it runs around $10K but even with the price of a new NVP you are still $20K less than a comparable vehicle and there really arent many that are comparable at that point!

Edited by ASD Dad

I have a 2014 3500 high roof cargo with the Quigley 4x4.  My vehicle has 10,000 miles and not a single issue!  The Quigley system is flawless!

My advice is to buy new and enjoy many worry free adventures.  Good luck 

ASD Dad...wow that is a great price. Up here in Chesapeake they are trying to say 38990 plus tax for a 2016. If I could get a 2015 SL with tech package for 32k I would go get it right now. More information please.

That does sound like a great price. My 2014 SL was right around $38,000 here in Michigan.

Wow, that price was waaaaay off.  My sincere apologies!  I thought that was way too low so I went and found my paperwork.  I got mine for $37,999 out the door!  My trade ('10 Tundra TRD Crewmax) was $22K and I ended up financing $15K.

I have a 2015 NVP SL Silver with Tech.

Keep in mind we dont pay sales tax on cars in SC, just a $300 "usage" tax for the road maintenance.  The other guy was $38,500 about 2 hours away and I told Greer he had to beat him.

Sorry again.  

Your price looks pretty much right in line.  They are hard to get discounted and my deal took a few days of back and forth.  They had a 2014 at another dealer locally and they only wanted $1000 less than new!  It was a leftover white one was never titled but had about 90 miles on it.  

When getting an oil change in Colorado Springs, a salesman came over to discuss our V8 NV (you will get used to random conversations like this) and the V6 NVP 2500 they had available to rent. He felt it was slightly underpowered after using it over a long weekend to transport his family.

If better mpg and a lower price meet your needs, the V6 will be an equally reliable truck, people mover.

A curious thing about NVP owners and this forum; they disappear. Out take is "absolute" satisfaction...

12/5 2 issues have come up since this was posted that prompts me to modify the above to "satisfaction." There have always been annoying issues, beeping front sensors that resulted in a buy back, that have little to do with reliability, but having your NVP at the dealer 40% of the time for an ac problem that Nissan can't figure out how to fix (same lack of fix for the beeping front sensors)

and most recently a failed V8 crankshaft sensor that ruined the catalytic converter to the tune of $4800 plus car rental bring the cost to $5500. Nissan stuck by the 100K warranty but it took 2 weeks to get parts and fix. More alarming is that 2 V6s had a similar issue at the same dealership. To my knowledge, no one else on the forum reported a similar problem.

Edited by radin2son

Does anyone have the cloth seats? I have children and we have always gone with leather due to spills and such. Found a 2015 SV with tech and V8 for 34k about 2 hours away from me...it doesn't have leather but from what I can tell has most of the other options as the SL. Thoughts?

Can't help ya here.... We have 4 kids, and have always been afraid to own a family vehicle with anything but leather.... If you decided to go cloth I'd assume one of those seat liners would be a good safety net....

The cloth is incredibly resiliant.  It's what they use in the plane jane model that I sell to all of my hotel clients.  Trust me those vehicles see waaaaay more abuse than family use.

btw Joey.  Just left you a voicemail.  Feel free to call

Christopher

A little late here, but in case anyone needs help with this, we have 7 kids and cloth seats. Never had leather, and in fact, I'd be worried about car seat damage to leather (unless you get seat protectors). The cloth on this is not as fabric-ky as the other vehicles we have driven. It's smoother, more like a microfiber type of feel, and cleans fairly well. I will say that I don't have my kids drinking anything but water when we drive, which may affect my answer, but I wouldn't hesitate to go for the cloth seats if it's a better option independent of the seat fabric.