Great White

Auxiliary Gas Tank

Has anyone tried to add an auxiliary gas tank on the 3500 HD cargo hi top van? I haven't had dry enough weather here to crawl around under my rig to check usable area. I'm not sure about warranty issues. It would be nice to extend the mileage on long camping trips.

There were some posts in the past about this and I am not sure anybody came up with anything.  I'd love a larger tank as well.  8-9 mpg and a small tank equals lots of stops.  Thankfully my kids and dogs are ready for a break then too but we've had some close encounters with not finding a station where we'd fit and running low on gas.  Almost had to drop the camper off on the side of the road so I could go in and get gas!  

There were some posts in the past about this and I am not sure anybody came up with anything.  I'd love a larger tank as well.  8-9 mpg and a small tank equals lots of stops.  Thankfully my kids and dogs are ready for a break then too but we've had some close encounters with not finding a station where we'd fit and running low on gas.  Almost had to drop the camper off on the side of the road so I could go in and get gas!  

I hate that feeling. A 36 gal. tank would be awesome. I have had other trucks I could go with the oversize tank and that makes a huge difference when towing. I have been in the position you are talking about. I haven't measured the tank area to see what would fit. I don't like the idea of moving the spare to the back door but that maybe the only solution for space. Let me know if you find a viable option. Thanks

The silver 4x4 NV titled "Kodiak" had a larger fuel tank made by a company in Portland, OR.  I can't remember the company's name.

Anyone notice the Miles till Empty is very pessimistic?  I think most vehicles are but I have gone 10+ miles when the digital display was flashing blank lines vs. miles till empty and I still had 5 gallons left in the tank when I filled up.  I think the physical gauge is pretty dead on though based off where the needle is when that happens.  

You could get an offroad bumper and put on some Jerry cans out back!  Not sure how much that could affect clearance when towing and turning though.  Aluminess has a pretty awesome looking high top offroad build on their site.  

The silver 4x4 NV titled "Kodiak" had a larger fuel tank made by a company in Portland, OR.  I can't remember the company's name.

I emailed them via their website at www.pdxtuning.com about it but never got any reply.

The post mentioning it is here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-135865.html

I'm thinking that replacing the spare tire with a spare tire tank like this https://titanfueltanks.com/product-category/stafs/

and the mounting the spare on the rear door or something is the way to go. It'd be a custom thing though. I found the filler neck assembly ir orderable so maybe it's doable.

Currently I'm more concerned with wheels and tires. I have a 3500 high roof in line to be converted by Quigley. I need all-terrain tires for work and will be replacing the stock ones.

Actually, I just submitted the idea of an aux tank for Nissan NV full size to the Titan Fuel tanks website here:

https://titanfueltanks.com/new-products-suggestion/

If everyone sent a request in, it might get more attention from them :)

For reference, info on the Kodiak van with twin 55gallon tanks:

http://www.outsidevan.com/kodiak.php

Edited by gregw

I emailed them via their website at www.pdxtuning.com about it but never got any reply.

The post mentioning it is here:

I'm thinking that replacing the spare tire with a spare tire tank like this https://titanfueltanks.com/product-category/stafs/

and the mounting the spare on the rear door or something is the way to go. It'd be a custom thing though. I found the filler neck assembly ir orderable so maybe it's doable.

Currently I'm more concerned with wheels and tires. I have a 3500 high roof in line to be converted by Quigley. I need all-terrain tires for work and will be replacing the stock ones.

I changed my stock tires with Goodyear wranglers with Kevlar. Goodyear makes a more aggressive tire with holes in the tread for lugs, but the ride and noise is a bit much for daily driving. The ones I bought ride okay , you can feel the tread, but it is not unpleasant, just noticeable. They are quiet and handle well on dry or wet. The originals tended to hydroplane in heavy rain. They are pricey at $960.00 a set but, they will pay for themselves when it snows or on a muddy or sandy road. The sidewalls seam softer so the ride is a little more comfortable and still has the E rating. The factory wheels look stout and if you take it easy on the rocks you should be okay. With a high top any rock crawling would be an adventure I don't think I would care for. 

FYI, I have 12,000 miles on my Quigley 3500 with 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs.  Vehicle, 4x4, and tires have performed above my expectation.  

just move your muffler to the right...put on a nice muffler with a loud sound and then put a 50 gallon tank.

FYI - I contacted Mike DeFord at Titan Fuel Tanks and got a "No we do not" answer to my inquiry.  No alternates, no explanation.  I get the feeling gasoline tanks and passenger vans are a bad liability combo.

mike@titanfueltanks.com

I'm starting to make a long list of stupid things I have done or am doing that could one day kill me or my family.  Yikes!  You know like drilling out the check valve on the propane pigtails to prevent the false checking during the middle of the night when the gas heater kicks on?

Well how about fabrication of an auxiliary fuel tank? 

Fabricate a sheet metal bracket under the van and next to the frame that can hold a 10-15 gallon tank.  Drill two holes in the existing tank, one on top for a vent, and one midway to allow 10-15 gallons of fuel to drain to/from the two tanks.  Drill two corresponding holes (top/bottom) in the new tank.  Connect the two tanks by two gasoline hoses.  Besides the obvious concerns, I'm concerned how I make sure the four fittings are not going to leak - ever.  In my son's words, this simple flow-through idea would be much more elegant than having a conventional gas can inside the van that pumps to the main tank when needed.

Please don't tell me to just stop a few extra times to fill up in order to save the effort and avoid safety concerns.  Automakers work hard to accomplish much more worthless amenities like heated steering wheels. :)

Yeah I'm consumed right now with an interior light renovation project.  This vehicle needs lots of updates.

The aux tank is front of mind because of an upcoming western trip.  "No gas next 80 miles"  :doh:  I will be carrying a gas can.

I did a tiny bit of research so I know my crude gravity tank idea is OUT!  I'm not ruling out a "Push-N-Fuel" option from ATTA Tank.

Just thinking out loud right now.

Lar

I rechecked Transferflow.com for aux fuel tank and I see that they are at least making Nissan replacement tanks. 

50 Gallon Nissan Titan XD Midship Replacement Diesel Fuel Tank

$1500 wow!

They say they have not checked NV3500 compatibility, but it has to be close.  I put a suggestion in the box, but for my old van, a $1500 tank upgrade is sorta too late.

Sportsmobile forum: 2 other auxiliary gas tank manufacturers, Ujoint and Agile. 

Caution: if your state does emissions testing,  you will need a CARB approval sticker to pass emissions. Sportsmobile “gets big $$ for their transfer flow tank and CARB sticker.”