gofobroke

running boards

Anybody have recomendations.  For a NVP 3500? Saw some custom fit ones painted to match for about $941 delivered. Still must self install. Seems a bit pricey.

I would call a local truck and trailer place in your neck of the woods, see what models they offer and go take a look.  If it's like our area over here you will find some options and while you can't view the exact floorboard on the vehicle they will have a same look style in stock that you can view for quality and appearance.

Most of my customers buying running boards are using their vans for their hotel groups.  I can tell you that they all go with "owens products" (purchased and installed by one of my local vendors) and they love them because they really take a beating.  Much more so than in a family setting.

I got the Luverne Grip Step installed for about $700. They normally come with one long side and one short side. I had them make up a set of two long ones because I like that look better. The styling won't appeal to some people, but I like them and they are very functional in bad weather.

Almost went with those, but wife nixed it wanting both sides to be even. Had to bite the bullet and go with the Ron.USA painted ones.

For the extra $250 they better be nice. Will see when they come in.

Hi All:

Almost 2 years after the last post but then again I dislike starting a new thread on the same topic.

Its a bit bothersome how little customizing options are available for our vehicles.  I am looking to install a set of side bars on my 2017 NV3500 - photo is of a 4" oval stainless side bar that is powder coated black that I will be installing.  I will need to "rework" the mounting brackets so they will fit for my application.  I worked as a welder/technologist and now teach in a welding engineering program at College so I have access to everything needed to customize the brackets.

I do have one question for this group about mounting via "drilling holes" versus a bracket that would clamp onto the seam welded sheet metal under the rocker panel.  I prefer to drill because it will be easier to modify the brackets to mount via drilling as opposed to creating brackets that mount via clamp style.

My question:  If you drill into the vehicle to mount the brackets what should be done to prevent corrosion?  Unfortunately the mounting location for the brackets is going to be in a high road salt spray area and drilling concerns me.  Any thoughts?ex_q80_w800_h600_images_ePIM_original_AC

Why doesn’t anyone who is a good welder/fabricator take running board mounts right to the frame? You’d think with some custom, thick brackets you’d have a more sturdy running board than could ever be achieved with a body mount, and corrosion issues wouldn’t exist.

Does the boxed frame make that more difficult or something?

And of course I mean brackets that bolt to the frame, not welded....

I am still shocked at the lack of options for running boards.  These are not small vans and you see a ton of them used for shuttles.  There are really only a small handful of options.  I need some for my parents and in-laws.  They are starting to struggle a bit and we have a small folding step stool we carry around.  I am leaning towards the Luverne Grip Steps right now, no way to slip on those and being all aluminum I never have to worry about rust (even though we dont get much rust here!). 

andy_george - I have taken a brief look under the NV3500 and the side of the frame is - depending on where you want your side bars to end up - approximately 16-19" away.  That's a long way away and I am afraid the brackets would have to be huge.  Not saying it can't be done.  Other problem is on the driver side just in front of the rear wheel.  On the 2017 there is an obstruction that won't allow your to get to the frame for at least 2-2.5 ft in front of the rear wheel.  I guess at that point one could mount to the seam welded sheet steel and bolt to the frame every where else.  I haven't taken bolting to the frame off the table I was just curious if I was to drill through the seam welded sheet steel under the rocker panel what could I do to ensure not rusting.

Gotcha. Good points. Let us know what you end up doing!

Will do. I think this will be a spring project.