BraapRider

Largest tire on stock wheel non-lifted

I haven't seen a topic specifically about non lifted vans. What is the biggest tire size you can fit on the stock wheel size without lifting the van and avoiding rubbing the frame? Minor rub isn't a big deal.

What you need to watch for if going wider is rubbing on the sliding door!  I never would have thought of that but a few people here have hit the door and one even trimmed out their door panel to clear vs. getting narrower tires!  There just isnt much clearance between the door and side of the van/tire.  

I know several have gone larger and have had no issues but I think the posts are in the other wheel threads even if they are lifted.  I plan on upgrading my tires for more traction when camping but even with near 18,000 miles my stock Transforce look brand new.

Bump... I've been told a 285/70R17 will fit on stock rim on a stock 2wd van.  This is the size I want to go to, but would like to see more people confirm this.

Bump... I've been told a 285/70R17 will fit on stock rim on a stock 2wd van.  This is the size I want to go to, but would like to see more people confirm this.

Yes that size tires on stock wheels will fit. Look at post #9 in this thread. http://nissannvforum.com/topic/1321-wheels-and-tires-that-fit-no-mods-on-2016-nv3500-sl/

Yes that size tires on stock wheels will fit. Look at post #9 in this thread. http://nissannvforum.com/topic/1321-wheels-and-tires-that-fit-no-mods-on-2016-nv3500-sl/

285/70 17 should go on W/O lift or mods. I run 275/70 17 on mine and theres extra room to spare

I put LT 285 75 R17 E121/118R Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on the stock rims. Everything clears fine. I was most worried about the spare, but it fits great. The closest they come to touching anything is about 3/4" between the tire and the top of the front control arms. The slider still has an inch gap between the tire and the door. The rear tires have 1.25" between the tires and leaf springs and the same clearance between the tires and the side of the wheel wells. Overall it increased the ground clearance 1.6" without a lift kit, just the tires. The van rides way better and has much better braking. Its like being on a fat tire bike, it just rolls over the things that caused the Firestones to shudder. I expected a lot more tire noise but it's actually the opposite, much quieter than the Firestones. I wasn't sure they would fit, there is a low roof Quigley 4x4 on here that has the same tires but is on a 2" lift. The lift isn't necessary for these tires. Combined tire/wheel weight goes from 80 lbs to 101. My highway milage is unchanged, but city has suffered a 3-4 mpg decrease with our V6, you probably wouldn't notice as much with the V8. I am running the tires at 72 psi all around vs. 80 psi all around on the Firestones. Overall, my worries about fit and noise were unfounded and I couldn't be happier. I think with the factory wheels you could possibly go slightly larger if the tire is able to be mounted on a 7.5" rim. The next size up is the only size larger in the Nitto's that still fits on a 7.5" rim and is 290/70/R17. They are 1/2" wider but also 1/2" smaller in diameter. Keep in mind the tire flexes as you drive so anything wider than the 285/75 and that flex might cause the tire to touch the front control arms, especially at lower tire pressures. Wider would also cause the tires to stick out beyond the wheel wells, as you can see these fit just perfectly without sticking out. There's only about a 1.5" clearance in front and back of the rear tires, so larger would be getting pretty close if you're going to be in areas with mud or snow. The diameter of these is 33.86" and the Firestones were 30.6"

post-1626-0-41230700-1535135232_thumb.jpgpost-1626-0-45316900-1535135276_thumb.jpgpost-1626-0-62675600-1535135300_thumb.jpgpost-1626-0-99053200-1535135321_thumb.jpgpost-1626-0-10440700-1535135355_thumb.jpgpost-1626-0-24170800-1535135372_thumb.jpg
post-1626-0-88510600-1535135711_thumb.jpg 

post-1626-0-76972100-1537549589_thumb.jpg

post-1626-0-65237100-1537549613_thumb.jpg

post-1626-0-38039300-1537549630_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mdsnyder108

Mdsnyder108: that looks fantastic. My one concern would be suspension travel. Will the tires "bottom out" against the wheel wells before the suspension bottoms out?

No bottoming out.  Everything works perfectly after testing it on a couple of trips.

That does look great!!! I will probably go with that combo when it's time for new tires. Going to wear out my stock shitty Firestones first.

Thanks for the tip Mdsnyder108  

Used that tire size and rattle canned the stock rims duplicolor matte black. 

With the V8 I didn't notice any loss in power. On a recent camping trip to Oregon I was averaging 17+ mpg on the freeway, pretty loaded down. The BFG's ride much nicer than the Firestones, quieter too.

yu7oPb6.jpg

ncNswy8.jpg

Edited by northstatecustomcraft

On 8/12/2019 at 12:38 PM, northstatecustomcraft said:

Thanks for the tip Mdsnyder108  

Used that tire size and rattle canned the stock rims duplicolor matte black. 

With the V8 I didn't notice any loss in power. On a recent camping trip to Oregon I was averaging 17+ mpg on the freeway, pretty loaded down. The BFG's ride much nicer than the Firestones, quieter too.

yu7oPb6.jpg

ncNswy8.jpg

Hi, Thanks for the pictures and the ideas. Can you please tell me if the stock wheel cover and caps are removable. Did you remove the caps or the wheels to paint them? Or did you just simply mask them off and paint them while still on the vehicle?

I’m not sure if I’m using this form correctly. My question was in response to northstatecustomcraft And his black painted wheels. I am wondering if anyone knows how to get the wheel covers off in order to paint them or if it’s best to paint in place.

Yes the cover/cap comes off with the lugs. Easy enough to paint it. Some have powder coated the wheels, but painted wheels should work fine. 

You can can let us know if the provided 21 mm or purchased 22 mm loosens the lugs. 

Edited by radin2son

Thanks radin2son for the reply. I tried on one wheel, yes the provided wheel lug wrench loosens lugs (is that what you are asking?).

The center cap off after I removed four of the eight lug nuts. Can someone please tell me how to remove the rest of the wheel cover? I’ve pulled on it with my fingers as hard as I can and can’t get it to budge. I’ve used a screwdriver to try to pry it off but that just results in bending the plastic. I think it would be better to paint them when they’re not on the wheels, but I can’t figure out how to get them off.

The oem 21 mm lug wrench has not worked for some. 

Remove all 8 and it will come off, separate from the wheel. The trick will be masking the Nissan symbol to keep it silver if that is what you want. 

Edited by radin2son

On 1/18/2020 at 10:19 AM, Shankerw said:

Hi, Thanks for the pictures and the ideas. Can you please tell me if the stock wheel cover and caps are removable. Did you remove the caps or the wheels to paint them? Or did you just simply mask them off and paint them while still on the vehicle?

The center caps come loose when you take off the lug nuts.

I used Duplicolor matte black wheel paint, rattle can.

I just took the wheels off the van individually and painted them one by one.

I used 3m scuffing pads to thoroughly rough up the silver finish and then washed them with simple green, and wiped them down with a prepaint degreaser/cleaner just before painting.

Did the same with the center caps, the silver emblems on mine were very easy to get off, I just carefully pinched the little clips on the backside together and they slid out. I do believe this breaks the clips as they are thin plastic, so when I put mine back on after painting the caps I superglued the heck out of them inside & out, no probs yet.

northstatecustomcraft, thank you so much for the reply. I ended up painting the wheels still on the van, I sheeted off the van to catch any overspray and taped off the lug nuts and just did it while wheels were still attached. I didn't know about the Nissan logo coming off, I ended up taping it off as well. Turned out pretty good. 

For the rest of you considering this project, the main thing you need to know is: The plastic wheel cover does NOT come off. The center hubcap comes off by removing every other lug nut (you can see the plastic backing behind the lug nuts that need to come off).

IMG_4344.jpg

Looks good. Just goes to show you, never trust info from someone who hasn’t done the job. 

I would swear I saw the hub cap on the floor when new tires were put on our NV.  Never would have thought it stays with wheel. 

I see the plastic you mention behind every other lug. Just enough to hold the cap on. Threaded or not I bet you can remove the lugs from the cap, but why? Good info. 

For anyone running the 285/70/17 on factory wheels... do you notice any road wander on the freeway? Les Schwab warned me to avoid going that big on the 7.5" wheels as they may not be flat on the road... Thoughts?  Several other tire shops were not concerned though... 

Generally I have not had an issue with mine. However yesterday on I 70, which is pretty rutted out and in need of repair, there was definitely some aggressive pulling when I rode in or near the edges of the ruts.

On 7/19/2020 at 11:26 AM, SoundinSpirit said:

For anyone running the 285/70/17 on factory wheels... do you notice any road wander on the freeway? Les Schwab warned me to avoid going that big on the 7.5" wheels as they may not be flat on the road... Thoughts?  Several other tire shops were not concerned though... 

I running that size, but not on factory wheels (I'm on 17x8). The Falken Wildpeak AT3W shows a range of 7.5" - 9.0" for their 285x70R17 and 7.5" - 9.5" for their 285x75R17. I would think if they specified it, it would be appropriate to use.

Long time listener, 1st time caller.

Picked up a 2020 NV3500, she has 24k miles and is bone stock.  I painted factory wheels and kept the caps stock.  When I paint the bumper, mirror and trim, I will paint the caps too...

5 new 285s on OEM wheels, full size OEM wheel on the spare.  I intend to rotate the spare into the tire rotation schedule ?

287/70R17 on factory wheels. Zero clearance issues, no wider than OEM tires as far as the door is concerned.  At full lock, I have atleast 1.5" before i need to trim the inner mud flap ... 

I think I could have fit 305s with no lift... maybe next time.

Love my van!! 

20211028_075509.jpg

20211028_075524.jpg

20211028_075732.jpg

20211028_082627.jpg

20211028_082702.jpg

Edited by AzGRMW007
More info added