nv2500sl

A/C Blowing Cold Then Warm Air

Just took delivery of a 2016 2500 Cargo after a four and a half month wait.

Noticed when the a/c is on normal or max mode the air temperature varies from ice cold to warm continually.

Has anyone experienced this and if so what was the issue?

Thanks in advance.

No, mine blows ice cold then slightly warmer then ice cold then slightly warmer continuously while on.

The temperature change to warmer air is only for app 10-15 seconds then it starts all over again.

I don't have the automatic temperature control its just a fan and temperature knob.

Ah.  The only time I have seen that happen is when the condenser is freezing up for one reason or another.  As in it builds up a layer of ice on it and it cant heat exchange as well.  It doesnt happen or cycle as fast as what you have going on though!

Hopefully others will chime in.  We have a Nissan tech on the boards and quite a few mechanics.  I assume you've called the dealer already since your van is brand new...  A NV tech at the dealer will be faster and can actually fix it (hopefully).

Thanks for your insight, I'm at the dealer now for them to evaluate.

Will post results when diagnosed.

Dealer says all is normal...nothing to see here! The tech only checked it at idle.

I used a laser thermometer at the dash outlets to evaluate if it was me and determined at idle yes the air temperature maintains constant 41-44 degrees but when driving the temperature fluctuates between that and 56 degrees back and forth about every 30 seconds or so.

Have never experienced that unless it was a newer vehicle under a load and only for a short period.

Talked with someone today and they thought that all 2015 and newer vehicles do this to maximize fuel efficiency?

Is there someone on this forum with a 2015 or 2016 Cargo with manual a/c controls that could verify if this is normal or not?

Finally got to use my air conditioning today and it seems to do the same thing without putting up her finally got to use my air conditioning today and it seems to do the same thing without putting a thermometer on lt

Finally got to use my air conditioning today and it seems to do the same thing without putting up her finally got to use my air conditioning today and it seems to do the same thing without putting a thermometer on lt

Thanks for the post....guess we'll see if others function the same.

that's strange, haven't noticed it in any of mine but it's getting to that time of season, I'll see if mine do it.

It's been about a month now....have you had time to confirm or deny this is normal AC operation?

Thanks

Mine does this as well. Never had a vehicle do this but I live in AZ and so far I have never got hot but it is a bit distracting. 

Thanks for checking yours for me...appreciate it !

Our AC units must be designed like that...would still like to know WHY.

Seems like disengaging the compressor continuously would contribute to premature component failure.

Probably not much of an issue for most but in Arizona we drive in 100 - 118 degrees for five to six months every year and it's very noticeable when the vents continuously blow warm air on and off.

I notice mine does this fluctuating as well.  Doesn't really bother me, but never had a vehicle do this before.  2014 nv1500

2013 NV 2500 HD V6 with high roof:

My AC also seems to fluctuate as you describe... it's annoying.  It's decently cold for a spell, then it's not decently cold for a spell... over and over.  I also noticed that the passenger size vents seem to push out colder air than my driver's side...also annoying.  I feel like my AC is barely adequite to make me comfortable on hot California days... which aren't as hot at places like Arizona etc. I bought the van only 7 months ago and I have not gotten bugged enough to take it in to see if there is anything wrong with it yet... but it's annoying and IF there is nothing wrong with it, it just seems like a lame AC. 

I have the same problem on my 2018 and I have just over 500 miles on it...

It seems to fluctuate from cold to warm then back to cold again, but in the FL heat you can really feel it.

Planning to take delivery of a 2018 NV2500 SV next week. During the test drive, I noticed the cool air then warm air then cool air thing. Never had this happen before on any previous vehicles unless the the gas pedal buried in the floor.

I mentioned this to the salesman and he was going to arrange to have the service department look at it. My hope is to get a real answer before I hand over the money and still have a little bit of leverage.

Cabin ac or rear ac? Maybe 2 different issues? Check rear ac posts.

Also, is this at idle? I have had other vehicles do this. Counterintuitive that when stopped it does this when you need it most.

That said we have had no problems with cabin ac. Cold all the time and adjusts with no problem. Do newer than 2012 NVs have the supper ac button on the temp setting? We have only used this occasionally. No matter how cold we have the ac, the V8 has never budged from midway on the temp gauge. This includes 117*. Can’t say what it does to mpg... It doesn’t seem to matter. One other thought, cargo vans do not have dual zone ac controls.

Fool around with all the controls to see if it is better on one setting than another. The service tech will likely put a thermometer next to an outlet and tell you this is normal. Tell them you want the regional tech/rep to check it out before you take delivery.

Has anyone taken their problem NV to an ac shop? You might get a different result.

Edited by radin2son

Its a cargo van without rear AC and also no dual zone control.

The temp variations occurred both at idle and when driving on local roads and the highway. It would blow cool for maybe 5 mins, then warm for maybe a minute or two, then cool again. Outside temp was about 75F and had the temp control set midway in the blue.

Sorry about not noticing it was a cargo. I mainly use the mobile version on my phone.

Take another test drive and put it on max cool and see what happens, then move it incrementally warmer. It may be a faulty relay switch that screws up the compressor cycle. (Our older VW did this and cool air eventually stopped completely. Everything was fine, just no cold air. New relay switch fixed it.) See if you can get the service tech or manager to ride with you. You can probably do the same thing at idle on the lot and maybe hear the compressor turning on and off.

Is the super colder button still there? I don’t understand how it works nor have I noticed a big difference. Our ac works well at all settings, but it doesn’t do a great job of cooling the cargo area. You have to have the blower fan close to max all the time.

As an aside, 2012 NVs showed mpg. This went away in 2013.

Yes, this is with a 2018 V8 SL version of the NV Passenger.

I have dual AC zone control  (and if one is set to 60 and the other is set to 90, it just blows cold air on both, unless both are set to 90* its a bit odd.

As far as the A/C blowing cold then luke warm, it does this at 40mph constant speed or 70+ constant speed with cruise control on. I understand that under WOT it will turn off AC to add extra power, but this is not the case.

Despite not getting a better answer other than "the tech ran the A/C for an hour and it was fine", I went ahead and bought the van (2500SV high roof).

I wound up taking it back to the dealer later that week to have a paint issue addressed and was provided with a loaner van. The loaner was a 1500S and also did the blowing cold/warm thing when the temp dial was set mid-range. I'm guessing that the system is attempting to regulate the set temp and winds up overcorrecting - either cold or warm. I suppose that I'll just need to learn to set the temp dial to a cooler setting... 

If your air conditioner is not blowing cold then you can fix this by performing some troubleshooting steps. Check this guide for more information on how to do this. 

The "issue" they are discussing is a design "feature."  They do that.