Daydreamin520

SUSPENSION QUESTION ON v6 HIGH ROOF

My DIY camper conversion is basically Sanford & Son style... a few pieces of furniture bolted into place.  On driver side I have a small desk, a mini refridge tucked into the kneehole of the desk, and a slim bed that's base is a lightweight, low, 4 drawer dresser that is 18" high.  On the passenger side, there is a small sink in wood cabinet, and another slim bed that has a heavier base more like a chest with a lift top.

I had someone suggest, by media comment, to get "heavy duty suspension" and... or "adjustable air bags".  I have no idea why they suggested this... I was not complaining about anything, like ride comfort or hauling/towing anything.  So... why would I need those things.  I wrote back person, but no reply yet.

I would hope a cargo van would not need special mods,  just to basically carry 4 pieces of furniture.

Someone here mentioned difference in 2500 vs 3500 and ride... and that is why they chose 2500...but did not elaborate.

Payload of a 2500 High Roof V6 = 3000 lbs.

Payload of a 3500 High Roof V8 = 3600 lbs

The V8 2500 has 120 lbs Less capacity but they dont make a V6 3500.

Most of that is likely the rear springs in the 3500.  I know on the Ford SuperDuty F250 vs F350 all parts used to be identical other than an extra helper spring on the F350.  It was a big scam for the extra money of the "1 Ton" 350 and many contractors were buying the F250 and adding in the extra spring to save a lot of money.  

I personally dont know what parts other than the springs may be different in the 2500 vs. 3500.  700 lbs capacity is a pretty good amount.

I would guess you have nowhere near 3000 lbs of stuff in your van!  

All above was easily found on the factory specs page - http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/nv-cargo/specs

Edited by ASD Dad

Bottom line - you're okay as described - don't worry about it.

Thanks, guys!  I was thinking ... is there something I don't know about here??  So, he was just messin w me and or did not have a clue about the NV.  Holy moley!  MUCH APPRECIATED.

I notice the rear end sags a bit on my V6 high top cargo with nowhere near capacity weight.  Maybe he notice the rear end sagging on your van.

I'm going to put airbags on my van to keep it in a level attitude. 

I think I am ok without any extra springs.  Maybe, when I ever get a battery bank and some water storage in there, I will go weigh it and see.  I put everything in that van all by myself... so I know it is not over 3000 lbs.  BTW, no one noticed (my) "rear end sagging".  It isn't.  LOL.   Appreciate the responses, tho'.  Thanks.

Just to follow up on this. I installed air bags and the ride is very smooth now and no sag  :-)