Daydreamin520

DIY "Must Haves" for extended road trips?

Was told I should have a socket set, w driver, including correct size for the spark plugs. 

What size would that be?  What would be a good basic set?  Specifics welcome!

In fact, other than what I have listed below, any other must-haves suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

- spare belts (sizes?)

- vise grips

- duct tape

- hose clamps

- extra oil and various fluids

Other than the jack stuff that came with, so far I have flares, folding "cones", fix a flat, and a AAA membership card!

I'd keep the AAA membership card (and my cell phone) and jettison the rest. Don't you have three dogs on board already? Space is limited - save it for their stuff.

Besides, are you seriously going to be changing spark plugs on the side of the road? Or even fixing a flat tire when you have a membership?

I carry an assortment of compatible fuses and a very good tire gauge. Past that and it's hard to find a stopping point.

Thanks, wollip.  I need a thunk on the head, every once in awhile.  Two dogs... but I don't take them on long trips, only weekend jaunts.  All I can say, if I don't ask, I don't know.  And it's always the thing I don't KNOW to ask, that gets me into trouble!  So... I am doin' good, huh?  Appreciate the reply.

Hey, wasn't passing out thunks intentionally - appreciate your good humor.

Look to see if the "helpful" advise being offered is coming from the driver of a Class A with abundent storage space. That said - same person will usually loan you any tool you need as long as you let him/her talk the entire time you are using it.

51 years old and have never needed a tool on a road trip. I did just make my second 3500 mile round trip to Phoenix and  threw in my tool box and tire chains.

Edited by rolliew

Correction, I have needed a flat screwdriver (three times) to bleed the air out of my duramax after running it out of fuel.

Ya, I'm an idiot.

I also want the answer to this question. I hope this would be very useful for me

I have had to change an alternator twice in my F-250, oddly both times in Tennessee.  It's right up on top which makes it take less than 30 minutes.  Sadly it doesn't look as easy on the NV.  But with 99,233 miles left on my warranty, I don't plan to change an alternator for a long time.

And don't forget, you will be towed to the nearest commercial dealer.

The longest tow ($1500) that I'm aware of is Moab to Salt Lake City, UT. It may have been an alternator, but I think it was a sensor.

If I'm going on a long trip and I've got 40 to 50 thousand miles on my belts and hoses I change them. I keep the old belt and hoses in the vehicle in case I end up somewhere where they are not available, could save a lot of time waiting.

I keep some items under the driver's seat, including a flashlight, a tire pressure gauge, a screwdriver with changeable bits, a couple of crescent wrenches, scissors, tape, flares, ratcheting tie downs, bandaids, and a few trash bags.  I also keep paper towels, tissues, and baby wipes in the center console.  I put folding reflector triangles, an old blue Ikea bag, a 12V compressor, and a blanket under the rear seat.  I put some tire chains under the front passenger seat.  And I fit a small folding shovel in the jack compartment, in case I get stuck in snow.

I don't plan on doing any roadside repairs on the van beyond changing or inflating a tire.  But, I like to be prepared for minor bicycle repairs, disassembling/reassembling furniture or other cargo, cleaning up messes, and handling other passenger needs.

Edited by Mark Rogers

I carry a bottle jack, a batt operated impact, sockets, ratchet set, a set of combo wrenches and a flat/philips screwdrivers. I also carry drinking water for humans and dogs.

Hey Bamps,

What kind of bottle jack do you have and where did you buy it? Somehow, the stock jack that came with my van is gone. I don't know enough to make an educated decision.

Thanks,

Ted

Hey Bamps,

What kind of bottle jack do you have and where did you buy it? Somehow, the stock jack that came with my van is gone. I don't know enough to make an educated decision.

Thanks,

Ted

Its an ac delco 12ton I believe i picked it up at O'Reily (my van didnt come with one, I think the stealership jacked it). I forgot to mention that i also carry a shovel and traction mats (i live way out and this van is 2wd) Edited by Bamps

Great Question:   I use a DEWALT DXAEPS2 Professional Power Station: 2800 Peak/1400 Instant Amps, 1000W Inverter, 120 PSI Air Compressor:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DXAEPS2-Professional-Power-Station/dp/B06XDH6XL3

Has 110V and USB charging, Air, Lights, Battery Jumper. Used it already to jump a car, keep air in tires, light and power for charging phone, etc.

---

Also I am building a small medical first responder kit with general bandages, medicines, bug repellant, etc.

---

Spare oil and fluids. Working on a general kit for spare motor parts. Thanks for sharing!

---

Stealership, nice one Bamps.

First-aid-kit,basic tool kit basic roadside emergency kit with flares tire inflator water about it

Its an ac delco 12ton I believe i picked it up at O'Reily (my van didnt come with one, I think the stealership jacked it). I forgot to mention that i also carry a shovel and traction mats (i live way out and this van is 2wd)

Every vehicle I have has a 36" breaker bar and a socket for the lugnuts. Using the cheap lugnut wrench that comes with the car is not something I plan to ever do again. I also have a bottle jack with a lock out.

Besides that, a generic auto emergency kit, 6 in 1 screwdriver, fuses and needle nose pliers are all I have ever carried

This document easily fits in your phone or glove box: a list of Nissan Commercial dealerships along your “No Cell Service” intended route. Regardless of opinions regarding dealer service, it is a lot easier than finding an independent shop.

We have not had any major issues in part due to the reliability of NVs. Here is a situation that I don’t think NV owners will face.

A couple in their new 2017 MB Sportsmobile set out on a 20,000 mile trip from Sedona, AZ to Alaska (resided in Anchorage for 35 years) across Canada to Newfoundland to the Maritimes and back to Sedona. In Anchorage, their MB stalled due to an electrical problem. The MB dealership replaced the CAN and ignition modules under warranty. Continued trip. 5000 miles later, it wouldn’t start. It was 1730 on a Friday. Nearest dealer 6 hours away, but there was a 2 week wait until the dealer could look at it. They called dealers in Ontario, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin, Most dealer service closed or had at least a 1 week wait. A dealer in Chicago, 800 miles away, could get them in on Monday. The story goes on as did their journey...

So far, we have been able to show up for an oil change or schedule service at our convenience. Parts always seem to require a 2 day wait.

In the event of a breakdown, I feel pretty confident that an independent shop could get us back on the road. Parts can be quickly shipped. Depending on insurance, the tow bill could be big $$$.

Edited by radin2son

A couple mos back I had to use the bottle jack. Not on my NV but on my travel trailer. I had a tire come apart outside of Phoenix when the heat was on. I had a bicycle lock on my spare tire I had to brake, and used my electric impact. I wanted to get it changed and get back in the AC’d van. Sometimes waiting for AAA is not an option, had to get it changed and off the side of the fwy. COOL WATER CAME IN VERY HANDY

Edited by Bamps

What tires did you have on your Trailer?  I've seen way too many blow out and refuse to use ST tires unless they are the new Goodyears they just released that are made in the USA and getting good reviews.  On our cross country trip we saw probably as trailer a day on the side of the road with blown tires.  I swapped to LT tires years ago and have never looked back.

What tires did you have on your Trailer?  I've seen way too many blow out and refuse to use ST tires unless they are the new Goodyears they just released that are made in the USA and getting good reviews.  On our cross country trip we saw probably as trailer a day on the side of the road with blown tires.  I swapped to LT tires years ago and have never looked back.

The trailer is a ‘14 model and stupid here had never replaced them. I bought th trailer new and never replaced them. I got the new tires from etrailer and they are the Karrier brand. Cheap foreign made. I’m taking your route next time I need to replace them.

It blows my mind how many trailers I’ve seen on the side of the road with blown tires this summer. It’s been a hot summer in Michigan, like most places it seems!

The 8 Goodyear Endurance trailer tires I put on last year are still “new”, but seem to be wearing fine, squat much less, and give me confidence they are going to be a much better trailer tire than 95% of the cheap foreign tires put on trailers these days.

Surprised that the original question was never answered.  The spark plugs require a 16mm deep socket, of which there are specific spark plug sockets that have a rubber collar inside to grab the plug and pull it out of the hole.  You'll also need a 10mm to remove the bolts that secure the coils.

Having just changed an engine, if I were putting together an absolute bare bones tool kit, I would pack:

8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 22mm sockets, an appropriate selection of short and long extensions, and a short and long 3/8 ratchet and breaker bar.  That'll get you pretty much the entire driveline and suspension components.  Additionally, short and long phillips and flat heads, a pair of pliers for hose clamps, and the same sizes each in a box end wrench.  A hammer is never a waste of space, a drift, a good pair of work gloves, a good light, a 12v compressor kit with tire plug kit (I use this exact model and love it, although the box cutter leaves something to be desired, also add a valve stem removal tool) a fire extinguisher, a portable jump pack, some marinetex or other 2 part bonding epoxy, a propane torch, PB blaster, duct tape, electrical tape (3m Super 33+,) one of those canisters of various heavy duty zip ties, and some bear spray and you'd be pretty damn self sufficient.  If you have room, add to that spare oil and coolant.  Those are my quick thoughts..when we get out for real I'll revisit this.  There's always room to squirrel away tools...much of this could fit in that nifty little sliding drawer under the seat.  You could also fabricate and add a tool chest in the engine compartment in front of the battery.

Oh and TP!  You can never go wrong with TP.

-laf

Edited by Local Apparent Friday
You can never have enough TP.

Sportsmobile put a storage box over the passenger side rear wheel well to hold the jack etc and table leg/tripod. The table top stores under the couch/bed. Too wobbly to use so more room in the box for tools, but nowhere near your portable shop. 

They also closed off half of the slider step, leaving the step near the grab handle; space can be used for storage. It also increases the floor space.

Not the greatest photo, but it shows the step. 

917E7140-ECAA-4C04-B2A4-F117BEFD6BBC.jpeg

Edited by radin2son

That's a neat spot to put a box. I normally keep my spare fluids on the back half of the shelf because it keeps them from rolling around.  I've got a box of oil and a jug of distilled water there right now.  I'm liking the idea of underhood storage, I think I'll explore that more this weekend. 

Of course all of this can be left at home if you're on the main roads and/or can afford to replace it with a credit card and sat phone. We're planning on going way off the beaten path... lessons learned; I once got to change a tire 40 miles from the nearest paved roads in the north Maine woods with no jack or cell service.  AAA won't leave the pavement. We have them and Good Sam though, and now I carry the aforementioned compressor kit. 

Edited by Local Apparent Friday